Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 1004-4 in a JCB 504b

pajibson ยท 2018-07-19 19:18

AA build...Lots of smoke & blow-by, burns a gallon or so of oil in a week. Anything I should be aware of before I order an in-frame kit & go after this? I haven't done an engine since college and am wondering if there's any Perkins specific oddities or tips you guys can give me

Replies1
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-07-20 06:39

    The injection pump, if I remember correctly, is NOT keyed & it takes a very special set-up to time the pump. It has a lock timing bolt on the front of the inj.pump housing.. I think the engine has to be at TDC #1 & then you lock the pump.?? There are a couple of timing pins that you need also.. Having the inj. pump #'s off the nameplate will help.. Your only doing an in-frame?? pump shouldn't need to come off then, I think?