Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 1004.40T under performing, fuel pump needing tuned?

newdesertfox ยท 2020-07-07 11:47

Question for guys who know diesels way better then I do, I have a Perkins 1004.40T engine that is really under preforming, just gutless under load, to the point that going up shallow/medium incline hills I can't do over 5mph with no load. Engine just loses power and rpm, never belches smoke or anything else. I've replaced every filter and fluid on the machine and put fuel additive in it to try and squeeze HP out of it, but towing one attachment i should be able to easily do 7-10mph and I can barely do 4. I know right before i bought the machine the fuel pump went bad and they replaced it. Thinking it might be either a fuel or turbo issue? Any way to tune or increase fuel flow to the engine without bringing it to a shop or test it?

Replies1
  1. #1Delmer2020-07-07 11:50

    If you can find a spec for the boost pressure, that's an easy way to measure engine output. If it's making full boost, then the engine is making all the power it's supposed to. Drivelines are not real efficient, and machines are heavy, not surprising they're slow up hills.