Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 1104 engine

thepumpguysc ยท 2015-02-20 05:50

I have to go pull the injection pump off a fork lift w/an 1104 engine.. Come to find out.. the pump hold down bolts are under the front cover..!!! Which means the entire front of the engine has to be dismantled.. Alternator, fan blades, v-belts, pulleys, water pump.. then the front cover.. OH, and lets NOT forget the special puller to get the gear off THE KEYLESS drive shaft on the pump.. I know how to do it.. and the timing procedure.. BUT.. Perkins need to have their heads examined !!!! What USED TO BE a 30 minute procedure is now a 3 hour ordeal... with parts and skinned knuckles.. :Banghead I wonder how many "engineers" have had to pull one off??? What a joke..!!! Rant over..

Replies5
  1. #1mattyt19842020-04-19 19:41

    I am in the same boat as you but I assumed which I should not of that the injection pump was keyed. It is not marked becuase I didnt mark it do I get it timed? I see a timing pin but I dont see any imprints on it. I can get TDC of engine but how do I match that to the injection pump?

  2. #2thepumpguysc2020-04-20 08:33

    Timing the inj pump requires special tools & the correct test spec.. It looks like you'll be making a trip to the inj. pump shop to have them time it.. There should be 2 timing pins required to time the engine.. 1 for the cam & 1 for the crank.. THEN the drive shaft locking bolt for the pump.. The engine is set at TDC & the timing is in the pump.. DONT TRY to wing it.!! Look at it this way.. HOW MANY TIMES do u wanna take that engine apart.??

  3. #3tractormech2020-04-20 08:43

    I ran into that on a JCB forklift. It would have to have the counterweight removed and complete teardown. I passed it up. I saw it going bad on many levels. I didn't know about the special puller either so that would have been a bad deal. They took a straightforward job and turned it into an expensive nightmare. I guess it's set up to force you back to dealerships.There's no need to make it that difficult.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2020-04-20 11:29

    All I know is, either the EPA had a "hard-on" for Perkins or JCB.. cuz 1 of'm fkd up.!! The JCB is the ONLY ONE that requires all those special tool to even GET TO the pump drive nut.. BUT all the latest Perkins require u to take the front of the engine apart.. its not a "bad" job, just time consuming & quite ridiculous.. EVERYONE thats done one for the first time says.. "WHAT the he!! we they thinkin?" lol

  5. #5tractormech2020-04-21 10:14

    That's the thing that makes no sense-you have to gut the front of the motor like a fish just to pull an injector pump? There's no need for it. But they didn't ask us did they? Getting a pump rebuilt is expensive enough but add all the labor for teardown and reassembly and that hurts! Not to mention that If I have a pump go out on the job I can pull it onsite and plug the holes up on the motor and keep it clean. I work around the beach a lot and sand and wind aren't my friend. I wouldn't risk a teardown in those conditions so it would have to be hauled in to be repaired. Home owners don't like torn apart tractors on the job site with parts stacked up on it everywhere and they are there EVERY DAY looking around and asking when it's going to be fixed and "He needs to get something out here that'll run" and all that lip.