Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 4.236 and 1004 cat 3054 engine issues

mattyt1984 ยท 2014-03-02 14:11

I buy and sell many wood chippers and have bought 4 with these engines. Two have holes in the block, one seized not sure why yet and the other had a broken oil pump/ balancer assembly. What is the cause of these engines to fail? Is it just chippers these fail in? Chippers would have a higher HP rating because max power would be intermittent. I am looking at a forklift with this engine and am a little worried after i have seen the failures

Replies12
  1. #1Delmer2014-03-02 15:21

    Intermittent??? compared to what? Every wood chipper I've run (rental) or seen run has been worked as hard as just about any other engine I can think of. Like the one that I could hear was dull from 100 yards away when they were running hybrid poplar through it, then they cut a siberian elm... not gonna happen. poor, poor engine. Hard work and lousy care. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy one in a forklift, assuming of course that you look it over.

  2. #2mattyt19842014-03-02 18:10

    By intermittent I mean normally a chipper engine has a higher rated horsepower than say a air compressor. In an air compressor the engine can be at full throttle and fully governed for continuous duty. Whereas a chipper the power is turned up because as the limbs are feed into the chipper they get smaller giving the engine a break from full power usage. Anyone know the cause of this on these engine?

  3. #3Delmer2014-03-02 19:57

    I understand what you mean by HP rating and supposedly intermittent use. I just don't buy the argument when it comes to wood chippers. The chipper maker goes to the engine maker wants a cheap powerful engine because it's "intermittent use" so they use a smaller engine that won't last as long as the engine that the engine maker would have recommended for the HP it is actually asked to produce. Kinda like Cat saying you can get 350HP out of a 3116 in "intermittent" marine use, it did turn out to be intermittent use, just maybe not the way they intended

  4. #4barklee2014-03-05 22:29

    We have a skytrak with the Perkins 4.236 and its been pretty good...... At 12,000 hours we had to rebuild the injection pump but thats about it. I have heard very mixed reviews about these in general though. I can tell you parts are very expensive and not easily sourced in a timely manner. In a forklift application i dont think i would worry about it if everythings tight and the price is right.

  5. #5tctractors2014-03-06 02:07

    In the U.K. Perkins (now CAT Inc) are one of the cheapest engines to rebuild and are World famous for their ability to run for massive hours with little need for anything other than standard oil and fuel service, I am talking about the smaller series of engines not the Eagle's and upwards as they are costly on parts, the 1004= 3054 engine was used for years in the 130 Komatsu Swinger with its bigger brother the 1006 used in the 210-5 Komatsu until CAT bought the engine builder, then things went down some with the fitting of Cummins into the Dash 6 Komatsu built excavators, your block punching troubles is most possibly the result of blocked cooling components with wood trash than anything to do with the engines, best you see "Operator for Details" as its nothing to do with the loading or the engine standard as they are probably some of the best built diesel engines to be found. tctractors p.s. the 1004=3054 is used in the 312-315 series excavator without to many drama's

  6. #6boat racer2014-03-07 13:16

    3054 cat problem need help i am geting fuel in oil also its coming out the hose from valve cover and i have no blow by any suggestions thanks

  7. #7overworked2014-03-07 14:27

    I'll second TC. Most iff not 99.9999% of all failures are due to lack of service or attention at one time or another. They usually don't blow up when you overheat them, just soon after. My 2 coin.

  8. #8tctractors2014-03-07 15:16

    Boatracer, only realy 2 possibilitys- fuel lift pump or fuel injector pump, how lucky do you feel? the lift pump can leak into the engine also the front shaft seal on the injector pump can make a mess into your engine oil, its not hard to locate the culprit, the thing to do is not run it with this fault as Diesel is a bit rough on crank bearings. tctractors p.s. the Perkapiller (3054 etc) run dry sleeve cylinder liners so when they run hot through cooling problems they tend to leave big chunks of piston stuck to the cylinder walls, so letting fly a rod or 2 is to be expected.

  9. #9Steve Frazier2014-03-07 16:52

    Ive had a lot of difficulty in identifying the Cat/Perkins engine in my Cat 248 skid steer, it's a small 4 cylinder turbocharged engine that according to Cat makes 76 horsepower. It failed on me, the cover to the oil pump housing broke so there was zero oil pressure. A rod lunched and exited through the block. Since this happened to me I've learned it's a pretty common occurrence. It seems that some Perkins/Cat engines were manufactured in China and these are the problem ones.

  10. #10OFF2014-03-07 22:22

    we got a Perkins 4.236 in a Cat R80 forklift that has over 20,000 hours on it. It's had a head gasket, many water pumps, 1 injector pump and about 2 sets of injectors. That's it. We service every 250 hours. No way it works as hard as a wood chipper though.

  11. #11digger_hunter2014-03-13 10:56

    We sell used equipment and what we have found so far is that the Turbo's give up on the Perkins engined Cat 312's but thats probably because these engines weresnt overhauled in time, but saying that the machines had only done 6000-10,000hrs. What I would like to know is if a Cat Mitsubishi engine from a Cat 312C excavator can be put on a Cat 312C with a Perkins engine. The reason is that we have a good Cat mitsu engine from a burnt 312C and a Perkins engine Cat 312C with a busted engine. Any help appreciated. I also have a Cat SIS with the ET flash tool in case thats needed to update the computer or something. Thanks

  12. #12digger_hunter2014-03-13 10:58

    btw the turbos broke down because of oil starvation and every one we dealt with had poor oil pressure to the turbo, around 1 bar. I've been told that it should be 5bar at idle.