I need to check/adjust some pressures in an excavator and curious if it is advisable to install permanent gauges for quick diagnostics or if this is considered another failure point? Seems even from the OEM, this would be wise but possibly the thought of that gauge giving false readings or blowing up could be a concern? I think I might have one where the pilot pressure back to the variable speed pumps might be a little low causing the pumps to not pull back like they should and bog the engine a bit. I realize the engine governor could also cause this but those pressures are easy enough to check/adjust,
Install gauges for a test then remove them afterwards is the accepted practice. Just more hoses to blow.
Nige is right on. Also the last thing you want is an operator looking at a gauge that might represent strength or performance.