Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Permit service or do it my self?

DirtySouthTruck ยท 2007-10-12 20:15

I am doing my first multi state move of a wide load. I am moving a boat for a buddy from MN to FL. I already have my FL over size blanket permit. I have found all the states application web pages for trip permits online. I will be passing in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia. Does going with a permit service do anything but save time? Basically I pay them to enter the info multiple times? Am I missing anything here? I see plenty of sites wanting to sell me a DOT number, and I received my FL DOT number for free? Is there something I don't know about how a permit service work? I am doing the move in two week, getting the permits together this week. -Sean

Replies4
  1. #1LowBoy2007-10-28 16:06

    I use TruckNPermits.com Sean. She is a very nice lady and very accomodating to your needs. There's a fee for every state, plus a fee for each application. Width permits are almost laughably inexpensive; weight starts to be "not so funny", depending on the weight of course. I'd recommend using a permit service to simplify the process, and you will be required to use one by some states anyways, because they don't accept applications from individuals. Also, be aware of the START and END dates as the permits vary state to state. I've had them run out before I was through a state before. Good luck.

  2. #2surfer-joe2007-10-28 21:33

    Individual states are bad enough, so do as loboy says and use the permit service. It might cost a few bucks more, but the savings in headaches and Prozac will be well worth it.

  3. #3KeppleServices2007-10-28 22:33

    Another vote for a permit service here. I went to missouri about a year ago for a storm cleanup and all I had to do was make one phone call and bam... permits faxed to me in about 20 minutes.

  4. #4DirtySouthTruck2007-10-29 18:18

    I used "On the Move Permits, Inc." They were great.