Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying this telehandler for personal use around shop and farm. It's really a tight good running old machine and he only wants $5000. I saw one sell on purple wave exactly like it for $8300 and that's the cheapest i've seen one go for yet. I've been surfing internet for any info on them and there's just not hardly anything as far as info like serial # identification, year identification, exploded view illustrations, etc. I'm assuming the rear steer not working is likely a stuck valve? it stays straight no problem but I havn't got to mess with it. Just looking for any heads up on possibilities. Thank's.
More then likely a problem with the steering orbitrol, depending on it's design you *may* be able to substitute a different unit in there to keep things cheap(below a couple thou.) unless you can find parts??? and keep it stock... kinda hard to believe it not 'steering' at all??? usually they just get sloppy/leaky/hard to turn/etc... or it might be mechanical and the joints won't allow turning?
Thanks Ronsii, Once I get it home I’ll give it a good going over. The old thing runs and works great. Just takes a big circle to turn it.
Oh, so you're saying the steering does work but ... limited/slow/hard???
Front steer works fine. Rears stay straight.
Is that supposed to have crab steer too? like a three way steering selector valve for front only, crab steer, and regular 4 wheel steer (front and rear opposite).
Yes
Get me a model and serial number of the machine.
By the old records it was built in 84. It should be the old style steering valve that has a manual handle , more than likely on the dash somewhere. It is a pretty simple system. You should get 2 wheel, crab, and oblique steering.
Thanks that’s good information. Hopefully I can get it working correctly without having to get too deep. I’m probably going to go after it later this week and I’ll for sure have more questions.
This is a link to the parts book https://www.gopettibone.com/dnet/p_parts_manuals/chapters/3672/
Thanks
Here is the machine log records when it was built. I don't know about you, but I always like to see where these machines went. It also has the serial numbers of the major components that the machine originally had when it left the factory. http://www.gopettibone.com/forms/logshts/clogshts/B66-5531.pdf As far as the steering issue, Its more than likely the steering selector valve (original pt# LL-3162-62) or the packing in one of the rear steering cylinders. Most of the time when the packing in a steer cylinder goes bad the rear wheels will drift one direction or another during travel, in other words, they wont stay where you set them. The steering selector valve should have 3 detented positions, one for each of the 3 selections. Check and see if there is 3 definite positions on your selector valve. I have had the handle set screw come loose and it not turn the valve shaft. The part number has changed for that steer selector. It is now a pt# LL-520-81. Your in luck if you need one and want to get it from Pettibone...……...they have it in stock at a price of $1018.50!
Wow that’s impressive good information. Thanks a lot.