Memories, what a machine. They dont build them like this any more? Electricity plus steel ropes = more than any hydrolic excavator can do these days? I know, I'm getting old. Check out the old Terex!!! Two passes , I mean one and a bit???? and was running over!!!! Whah, hooo, Cheers, Ironbark.
In fact she was that good that the company, when they were released, invested in a brand new fleet of Cat 789's, and still the PH 5700 waited? and waited, and waited some more? Crosswords were a time filler if the dump was a little far away?? Cheers, Ironbark.
Bogged! A week or two of heavy rain doesnt help production? D 10 moving cable so the rear dump can reverse out of the slurry.
Great pics Ironbark, what an awesome machine, hear whatcha say about electricity and steel ropes, I have an old '57 model diesel electric 12 ton coles crane, which I believe was used on the snowy mountains scheme, still use it occasionally, as far as smoothness of operation goes would leave our much later hydraulic crane for dead, and no creep if you leave it parked.
Nice pics mate .. Post more. But in reality .. The 5700 was always to big to load trucks never mind little one .. Imagine the pain in the box when it dropped the first bucket .. Not to mention load ratio / factor which is out to lunch. Bet an XPC would be blowing the horn before this shovel could even drop the second pass.
Sorry double post.
Originally Posted by Ross . Bet an XPC would be blowing the horn before this shovel could even drop the second pass. G'day Ross. Get this. The company purchased a few Cat 789's carried two buckets ok. If one broke down they send send over a couple of Cat. 777's to take their place?? Yep, &&&'s under the P&H 5700. One half bucket was all they would cary. Had to lower the bucket slowly into the body of the 777, resting the lower edge on the floor, trip the door and slowly raise and jib out so as not to hurt the truck operator break anything. The P&H 5700 averaged 100 tons of rock per pass. The Cat. 789's carried 2 buckets, the Cat 777's, 70 ton capacity carried one half to 3/4 of a bucket.
Hickup
http://
This might help some folks understand just how much of a mismatch that really is.
Thats it, scary stuff. Shovel dropped as many rocks off the teeth as she got into the 777 she had to get down so low. And they were large because they were saving on explosives and drilling the shot holes one hundred yards apart. And when trucks broke down, they would have used wheel barrows if they could have gotten away with it? LOL.
The way thats flowing over the teeth with what i would think is a lot finer material they might have done better to do that first to pad the big stuff. I remember 1 night at Wambo they were digging the sandstone cap off the top of the coal seem and they did not blast through to coal and i heard the digger driver say to the truckie, "Hang on, got a big one comin in" and next he goes, :what did that go?" 76 was the reply so a nice little gooly the PC5500 put in the 830.
I think this 7495 Cat is similar in size to the 5700 right? It says 120 tons a pass. https://mining.cat.com/cda/layout?m=435120
Well similar bucket size but the 5700's are the largest 2 crawler shovels ever made. I think the Largest Aussie machine ran an 80yd + Bucket.
The 7495HF has a 80 yard bucket. The P&H 5700 we had I was told by the engineer on site had a 90 yard bucket. Now I cannot back that up, I never measured it, I just believed what I was told?
there are only 7 in the world I heard. correct?
I'm not sure what they were upgraded to over the years, but the largest bucket put onto one of the 5700s at time of delivery was a 60 yard bucket on the Bloomfield machine. The two XPAs were both delivered with 57.5 yard buckets, the Chicago had a 28 yard bucket as a dipper dredge, and a 50 yard clamshell, and the original 5700LR had a 25 yard bucket. There were actually only 5 ever built. Personally, I'd like to see them do a full set of upgrades to the design and build an XPC version. Anybody wanna guess what size bucket one of those would swing? I would think it would be a head to head competitor with Cat/Bucyrus' proposed 795.
Sure I read somewhere that the largest bucket fitted to a two crawler shovel is 82yrd and it's pinned to a 4100 XPB in Wyoming? still retaining its 120 ton rating. Would be nice to see an AC upgrade but it would probably cost more than a XPC and would still lagg behind IMO. No idea what max size a 5700 could throw around but it's limited to three passing 360 metric ton trucks.
I'm more interested in seeing an XPC version of the 5700 built. I think with the increase in truck sizes....such as the latest 400 ton trucks, a larger shovel to load them in 3 passes or less, would be a real winner. Especially since it's commonly thought that a larger shovel, would spawn larger trucks. So a new 5700XPC would be able to compete with the proposed BI/Cat 795 shovel. Heck, rumour has it there is a very large prototype hydraulic hybrid coming up here in the next little while. I guess only time will tell if that's true or not, but they're talking about an 80 yard bucket.......hmmmmmm.
A 5700 XPC would be awesome but I don't think they would reference it to a newer, larger unit. Maybe a 5100 XPC would be better. As you know haul truck capacity is limited to tire size, don't think they would go down the tandem route again. Maybe increase to 400 metric. Also, it wouldnt be viable to slam 180 metric ton into the back of a 797 for a two pass cycle. It would destroy the truck and hurt the OP. A 120 metric pass (133 US) would be the better option. I don't know what cubic yard bucket size that would be? 80 yd hybrid mmmm Am sure you will spill the beans if it ever gets built?
Tire size was a limiting factor with pretty much every size increase they have had for years. Not much of an issue, they simply have to make a larger tire. Problem solved. Why would they have to go to 180 metric tonnes per pass? Make the machine to handle a 150 imperial ton load, and you could 3 pass a 450 ton truck. The bucket size would depend entirely on material density, so there would be a whole variety of options depending on what they were loading I have a feeling that's the next real size range we'll see. I agree they likely won't call it a 5700, but a guy can dream. I have yet to see the pictures, but one guy from Wajax told me that he has seen pics of the new machine under construction.
Well 180 metric is a two pass on a 360 metric haul unit. Basically my original point about miss match loading. A 150 US ton is around 135 metric pass. An XPC ain't far off that. Not sure if we will see larger than 400 metric ton haulers. Think they might have hit the limit unless they go tandem. Don't know If you have any info on anything that big? I think the next generation will be a steady three pass on a 797, T282 Size truck. Komatsu's haven't suggested a 360 metric yet. Tires mmm that's a weird on. The WA1200 here needs a break now and then because of tire heat, basically they don't make to many that size. This would be a huge problem for a company that ordered a large fleet of super haulers. Problems are there to be solved. Who knows? P.S: you bet your arse I'de like to see a 5700 XPC or Similar.
Keep in mind, you don't necessarily put the biggest bucket on a machine if it will handle it. If a machine had an ultimate capacity of 150 tons per pass, you could fit it with a slightly smaller bucket to three pass load your 400 ton trucks. But you can't throw on a larger bucket and expect the smaller shovel to handle it with no issues over time. Therefore, if you upsized the shovel capacity while in the design stages, you could utilize the larger machine to handle a larger array of buckets. A 4100 XPC only has a capacity of 120 tons, or 109 tonnes.......that's a long ways from 136 tonnes when you add up the passes. You're talking 3/4 of a bucket on top of the three passes, so I'd say it is far off. By introducing a larger shovel that could 3 pass a 400 ton truck, or 3 pass a 450 ton truck, you'd have a machine that would appeal to more operators, than one that has a capacity aimed solely at one size class. If they're putting in the time, effort and money to build a larger shovel, might as well get as much bang for your buck as possible. So why not go bigger, as in able to 3 pass a 450 ton truck, instead of handicapping yourself right off the bat? I seem to remember the 795 was aimed around the 150 ton range. Komatsu has to be able to catch up to the rest of the pack to play. Right now, they're living in the past........back when the 360 ton/326 tonne trucks were introduced. They have failed to step up to the same level their main competition is playing at, and their sales of the 360 ton trucks will suffer as a result....especially at the price they have put on them. Just remember, loader tires, and haul truck tires are two very different animals. They initially tried using haul truck tires when building large loaders years ago. It didn't work well then, and doing the opposite won't work well now, or they would have put the larger loader tires on haul trucks already. Yes, there are issues to overcome, but with time, they will do it. I can see a larger truck in the future, but when.....that's the million dollar question right now.
The info is evolving as we speak, and development and construction is underway. Latest word is that it's either a 70 or 72 yard bucket, and from the pics I have seen, it's going to be something else.....good or bad, not quite sure yet, but something else none the less.