Just got back from a road trip to Vancouver Island. I was on the hunt for great rusty things to photograph...and this was one of them. Not hard to find, as it was right beside a busy highway....but I take 'em any way I can get them. The video is here.. http://youtu.be/he99L0KNEu4
i love it...even for her age she still looks like a tough hard old girl. cable blade mhmm
Question if anyone knows. From the operator's station there is a lever to the right, connected to a shaft that runs to the front of the machine and connects to something in front of the radiator. What does that control?
Very cool, used to live on the island. Thanks for the story and pics.
Front control winch,, this unit also has a rear winch . The front winch was used for the dozer lift,,, the rear one was for pulling scraper or whatever duty it was assigned to.
Thanks SeaBass...I figure that if I take enough photos of these machines, I might learn a thing or two about them
I actually have one of these. 1939 Cat D7, it's an ex military dozer. About 6 years ago a large oak tree fell on the top frame and broke it so it's out of commission. The side levers for the winches would be MUCH better than what mine has...two bars that come up from behind the seat and sit beside your shoulders and beat the crap out of you as you are running the machine. Some ******* stole a rear winch off of ours. Dad and my uncle brought our dozer to work the land and help with building stuff on our property. Dad's got lots of stories of running it and I fondly remember running it with him when I was a kid. I bet the one in the photos could be gotten running fairly easy.
i bet this would only take 2 or 3 hours to get runnin for someone like my grandfather