Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Photos of old JD Adams graders on Vancouver Island

DerelictTexture ยท 2012-08-07 19:44

From a recent road trip. The first one was captured and then fenced in...easy to photograph. The second one was hidden on an acreage on a dead end dirt road. JD Adams built the first "leaning wheel" road grader in 1885. The first self-propelled Adams grader didn't come along until 1928. The company was sold to LeTourneau-Westinghouse in 1955.

Replies13
  1. #1DerelictTexture2012-08-07 19:46
  2. #2DerelictTexture2012-08-07 19:49
  3. #3icestationzebra2012-08-07 21:33

    The first one has a McCormic Deering engine, the 2nd has an IH unit. ISZ

  4. #4DerelictTexture2012-08-07 21:42

    That's what I love about you guys...the depth of knowledge on the finer points. Mike P

  5. #5stinkycat2012-08-07 23:27

    What is that engine? On the left on the grader?

  6. #6icestationzebra2012-08-08 00:18

    Did a little digging, that first drivetrain could be a W30 Deering. The second one could be an early H or M given the magneto and crank start, but need more detail to figure out for sure. ISZ

  7. #7DerelictTexture2012-08-08 12:08

    Stinkycat and icestationzebra...here are some close-ups to maybe help with some questions and details. I don't know what that giant Fairbanks-Morse piece is...engine or pump??...I will email the property owner and ask. He is away a lot for work. I cropped the photos of two motors from the Adams graders to get you a better look.

  8. #8icestationzebra2012-08-10 00:09

    Based on the bosses just below the oil fill, the Farmall engine appears to be from an H. ISZ

  9. #9DonBC2012-08-12 12:43

    I have seen the first one that is near Sooke and have a couple of photos of it. I was at the McLean saw mill historic site near Port Alberni and they have a restored 1932 Allis Chalmers grader that is very similar to the first one. I have photos on my cell phone that I need to down load and will post them.

  10. #10Reubs2012-08-17 03:25

    Nice pics, I might have to visit Vancouva one day to take a look myself!

  11. #11biggrader2012-08-18 14:09

    Nice Pixs. I have a Model 10 Adams sitting in the shop waiting for some attention.

  12. #12DerelictTexture2012-08-18 15:51

    Good score on the old grader!....lots of work to bring it back into shape. Should be ready in a week or ten days for a parade...you think?

  13. #13biggrader2012-08-18 18:24

    I picked it up the end of December 2011. Got it this far through the winter and haven't had much time to work on it this summer. I told myself it would be a three year project, but I may be a little optimistic