This is a dry, manual clutch, 188 diesel & these parts came from the torque tube/bell housing where my new clutch is spinning & breaking off these chunks. The machine runs fine after I took out the loose parts but I’m afraid to push in the clutch until I find out what these parts were from. Any ideas? Should I try to run it as is? I also did find 2 broken spring clips from the clutch fingers w/ these other parts. Thx
Thats a broken starter nose casting, If you are just new to this machine possibly someone just replaced a broken starter and left the old parts to float around in there and cause damage, probably thats what knocked the little clips off the adjusting bolts. If you are sure all the parts are removed and all works good use it. The little flat bent clips serve to pull the pressure plate casting back when the clutch is depressed and their absence could cause grinding when selecting a gear if the pressure plate surface does not withdraw from the driven plate. I would be amazed to find out that those chunks came off your present starter and it is still functioning but stranger things have happened I suppose. If in doubt remove the starter and check the drive end, there will be no problem telling if I am correct. I just cant see the starter working with that cone missing. If you say new clutch and the damaged parts were found afterwards I'm amazed and I know others will be as well, pull and inspect your starter.
I wonder what the flywheel ring gear looks like after those pieces finally went to the bottom of the bell housing.
Thanks so much Melben. I so gald to know it's from the starter & that I don't have to split the tractor to replace the tractors torque tube which is where I thought the parts came from Hopefully your 100% correct & I'll just replace the starter nose casting or whatever's broken from the outside. Whew. I know nothing about the inside of this machine from the clutch to the rear. Thanks again