Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Picked up a deal

simonsrplant · 2017-10-27 17:34

been a while since I’ve been online. Been busy building my empire. Thought I’d share a good score with those who appreciate this sort of stuff. Been after a track press for a while now but couldn’t bring myself to pony up for new so had my eyes on the auctions and classifieds. Found this at Edmonton Richie Bros; 250ton WTC unit with electric pump and basic tooling. Turns out the guy I’m contracting for at the moment was also after it. After a couple phone calls it was agreed that I’d go after it and he would back off. Anyway, I’m looking forward to putting it to work.

Replies21
  1. #1Junkyard2017-10-27 17:52

    That's the last big thing I need. Lucky for you it was so far away! Or maybe lucky for me. Hard to say

  2. #2DMiller2017-10-27 18:48

    'Beats' the old method.

  3. #3simonsrplant2017-10-28 00:08

    I won’t lie, the 250 toner is a hefty unit, and likely far over what I’ll use or need. But at the price and since they are not common used pieces I couldn’t let it slip.

  4. #492U 34062017-10-28 00:19

    Silly question but when would you use a track press? Like on what kind of pins. I worked at an excavator dealer for a few years and honestly I think I may have used the track press twice in that time and I can't for the life of me remember why. All the master pins we dealt with were T pins and we just drove them out with a sledge.

  5. #5simonsrplant2017-10-28 00:23

    I’ve done links with a torch and sledge before, but only on smaller excavators. I’ve a bunch of 385s and some 870 Deere’s and a few larger excavators where the manual methods just won’t cut it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a pretty big chunk of cash but for what it will save me in time and effort, and not forgetting some mine sites simply wouldn’t allow the old methods, it will pay off

  6. #6Welder Dave2017-10-28 00:44

    Can we ask what you got it for? I got my dump truck at Ritchie Bros 4 day auction in Nisku (Edmonton) last year. It's Ritchie Bros biggest auction in terms of $$$. Some stuff goes really cheap and some small stuff sells for more than it's worth.

  7. #7Junkyard2017-10-28 05:17

    That's big dozer size there. D10-D11. Komatsu 375,475 etc. SALT rails and the like. Pins on the D11 I used to care for were like 2-1/2"-3" diameter. Cat used a 150 ton if memory serves and on one occasion it almost didn't get them pressed out. Not often you'd need one that big but when you do there's no heat and beat on them lol

  8. #8DMiller2017-10-28 07:02

    Would love to have had a hydraulic press years ago, still have my 20# sitting in the shed. Worked for a contractor that had a screw drive pin press, was supposedly rated to 50 or 60 ton on a gear reduction drive, we stalled it A LOT but when came loose the pins would push with it, a little heat and patience as the torque built up. They still used it until a few(maybe ten) years ago when it began sitting in the racks, ended up in a scrap dumpster as owner did not offer to anyone for it. Actually worked pretty good in comparison to a sledge and drift.

  9. #9simonsrplant2017-10-28 10:01

    Sold on TAL for 12,500 cad Admittedly a big chunk But I priced out new options and the cheapest 100 ton c frame was over 25k, 150 ton twin rod knocked on the door of 50.

  10. #10Welder Dave2017-10-28 20:08

    Does sound like a good deal if you can use it.

  11. #11John C.2017-10-28 20:41

    The Komatsu dealer I worked for had one of those and I was the lucky guy to use it the first time. I couldn't find a sarcastic emoticon for that first sentence. First job up was a 455 Komatsu dozer. As I recall there was a broken pin and we were supposedly going to just punch the broken one out and a new one in at the same time. The field dispatcher figured that with some nitrogen we ought to be able to get er done. It didn't quite work out that way. It takes so much oil to make that ram move and the old worn out pumps we had just didn't have the flow. That cold pin went in about two and half inches and locked up solid. As I recall it was about a three inch diameter pin. Anyway I whittled it off with a torch, blew out the center of that pin and the broken one, pushed them both out and left a dummy to hold the track back together. I came back the next day with a master pin and was just able to push that through. I slept good that second night after the job but was so sore that next morning that I had to get up around 4:00 AM as I couldn't sleep. We had three or four PC1000 excavators in the territory at that time which used D375 size track that weren't SALT. I got so that I hated to even look at the parts of that press. I hope you make a lot of money with that monster. I would suggest you rent it out and make someone else do the wrestling with it.

  12. #12mikebramel2017-10-29 12:42

    The picture might be misleading me but the tie rods are 2 1/2" and the end plates are 3.5"?

  13. #13simonsrplant2017-10-29 19:53

    Tie rods are 3.5 inch and end plates are 4

  14. #14Welder Dave2017-10-29 23:32

    They'd have to be huge to hold 250 tons! The pic. is really deceiving.

  15. #15DMiller2017-10-30 17:17

    Will take a chunk of a crane to hold that monster up. Almost needs its own mini gantry.

  16. #16Junkyard2017-10-30 18:16

    Box it up and send it south. The check's in the mail

  17. #17Bluox2017-10-30 19:55

    Note the 5 gallon pail on the pallet. Bob

  18. #18simonsrplant2017-12-02 19:06

    Used the press the other day. Pushed EX1100 link pins like nothing. Really impressed. I suspect the dual stages on the pump are sticking as it was deadly slow in operation... something to check into. Set up took a bit of effort, and the weight of it was almost a pain. But once set up, worked like a champ.

  19. #19DMiller2017-12-02 20:41

    SO SO jealous, makes the work all TOO easy!! Even with the set up and shoe removal still takes a load off the mechanic. Really nice knuckle set up.

  20. #20John C.2017-12-02 21:18

    The rig I used to use was also very slow. We even had a big air operated hydraulic pump that would make the 100 ton unit just jump. The big ram though took a bunch of time. It did have a lot of stroke though so you didn't have to set up more than once usually.

  21. #21kjkoch2017-12-03 20:45

    We have had 2 -100 ton for several years and used them 2-3 times a week on the rock saws and milling machines. They are an absolute necessity around those machines. Neither of us use them much anymore but, after having it, wouldn't sell them for anything. Kind of like , once you have a crane, you can't imagine being without one .