Hi guys, just wondering what kind of luck people are having finding good tires for your pickups. Something that finds a good compromise between MPGs, treadwear, and of course good performance towing and driving off-road. And by off-road, I just mean job sites, not mud bogs. My current BFG All Terrain KO2's are just about spent. I'm considering getting some Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs but I figured it might not hurt to see if someone on here might have stumbled across the holy grail of tires before I go spending money. Edit: I'm running an 08 Chevy 2500HD ECLB 4X4 Duramax.
Ram 1500 4x4 with the top to my rollaway, a honda gen, chainsaw and crew tools, 20 inch wheels with 10 ply Toyo Open Country M/T went 63,000 for me. Probably would have went 70. Great tire real hard, real aggressive and real noisy. They are a little more expensive to operate fuelwise I got around 16 with the hemi. As opposed to 20 with the Goodyear Wranglers that were on it new.
I'm running firestone mt. Getting 60k plus miles and they're very quiet
I've only gotten about 17,500 out of my KO2s. To be fair though, I've clearly been running them overinflated. The centers are worn real bad but there's a fair amount of tread left on the sides.
Running BFG's KO2's on 2 - F350's. I get about 20K on them but we are running 10K lb's GVW on just the trucks and pulling 14-15K behind them on a regular basis. That's about all I expect to get out of an all terrain tire.
I notice the company putting Michelin tires on most of the work trucks now. Expensive, but they seem to last. My mother's 2010 Ford escape came with Michelin tires, and while it's not a work truck, one thing that really impresses me is that there is no weather cracking
Goodyear Wrangler ATS, really good all terrain tire, quiet and good treadlife. But I still live in a 16" tire world.....lol Ed
Yeah forgot to add I'm running all 18's.
I guess I'm not that far off from your mileage then. The truck's about 7500 pounds but it hauls 24k-26k gross from time to time. I'm also still rocking 16s.
I run Nitto EXO Grapplers. I get about 45K out of them. It is a heavy, rugged tire with great traction Winter or Summer. I have had four sets of them now. Another tire I like is the Falcon Wild Peak AT3. It is the most popular replacement tire at my rural tire shop. Farmers and Ranchers love them. I have a set on a half ton and I like them. I have set of Cooper SST's on a dually that have great traction, they are wearing ok.
I run Toyos on all of our vehicles. My truck and my wife's truck both wear the Open Country AT II. They wear reasonably well, are quiet, and have good traction both on pavement and off road.
I've got a fleet running Hankook RF10 or RW11 year round. 32k miles a set, all pulled @ 3/32 left max. Only have one running the new RF11. Out of them all, the RW11 has proven to be the best at everything.
Those Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs you're eyeing will do you great. Ran them on 2 loaded down service trucks (Ford 250 & Chevy 3500 dually, both 4x4) driving all over the Northwest of the US running up and down mountains to work on cell site generators. Ran good on the highway, great in deep mud, only had to dig out in the snow once (my fault, sunk into a snow drift heading to a mountaintop site I should've taken a Snowcat to). Didn't wear out to fast either. Run Cooper Discoverer Pros on my personal truck, and they're pretty good. Ran Hankooks in winter on a RAM service truck in the winter, I never got stuck, but damn they were loud!
Use Duratracs too; mainly for snow - great in slush and deep snow. Studded ones on my plow truck. Not the greatest on the hard pack snow on the roads (the non-studded ones), but I can just adjust my speed , etc.
88K miles on a set of Toyo open country RT 14' Ram 3500, jobsites and towing heavy almost every day. Rotations every 7-9k miles
That's pretty impressive treadwear, especially considering the Florida heat.
My plow truck always gets radial mudders, BFG or Dunlops, depending on how fat my wallet is when I need them. No real difference in life, 25k and they're shot, BFG's are quieter, actually silent in a 235/85r16. Back in the bias ply days, Firestone town & countrys ruled the plow truck world. To bad they never carried that tire over to a radial. Ed
When I bought my 15 Ram Power Wagon in 17, it had Duratracs on it and they were shot at about 48K. I’ve had 6 Rams going back to 85 and I’ve never been a fan of Goodyear’s tires. I’ve rarely gotten even 50K out of them and their rain performance gets sporty once they harden up a bit. I’ve put Michelin LTXs on the last couple of trucks and I especially like their rain and braking performance. They do just fine in the sugar sand here on the Gulf Coast, but I don’t generally take my trucks into muddy places. I haven’t kept a truck long enough to wear a set out yet. There’s 30K on the current set and they still look somewhat new.
I am very happy with the KO2’s on our Dodge. We run about 1/2 time with a camper that pushes 10,000 lbs. The snow and rain performance is very good with these tires. We have about 30,000km on them and would estimate another 30,000 before they are done depending upon time of year ( new tires if they are getting close as snow approaches). We have run Michelin, Continentals, Toyos,and what ever Dodge had on originality. We will by KO2’s again. Cam
I have had great luck with Uniroyal Laredos, but I am also stuck in the world of 16s.
any tires with a bead protector edge will eat the inner flange lip off of 16" original GM aluminum 16x6.5 rims. I quit buying those types of tires regardless of the brand. one tire shop refused to mount a tire on a rim that had the lip splitting off. I kept it for the spare and ground the remaining lip off with an aluminum grinding wheel. all the lip does is hold the wheel weights on
That reminds me......had a 78 Suburban, came with Uniroyal "Land Tracs".....lmao, ice, mud or snow, you paid the tow! Worst tires I ever had, get stuck on a bananna peel in the parking lot. Ed