I'm interested in seeing pictures of some portable road toolboxes. Thanks.
What will you be working on? When I first started I would throw whatever tools I thought I needed into whichever pick up truck was available and head on out. Now I have a big service truck and still don't have what I need.
I work for our county's highway department. We have two 3/4 ton GMC shop trucks with service bodies, but the county does not supply them with tools. We have to bring our own tools on the road. Just wanted to see how others haul their tools in their service trucks.
Is the truck asigned to you? If so put tools in it and lock it. I had a matco 42 inch 4 drawer box i had nothing but trouble with it.was rated for 250 lbs per drawer. Wouldnt handle 50lbs. Detents on drawers didnt hold up also.
No, we do not have assigned trucks.
I run the Construction Crew for a local government agency and wrench on everything from the chainsaws to graders and haul trucks. I ended up using a Montezuma portable top box ,item #: MTZ-SE250, from Strictly Tool Boxes, works great, I can slide it from the bottom box to the back of the truck without lifting it. It has the cantilever top that took a little getting used to. But i was going through the slides and beating out the bottoms of the conventional style tool boxes, and was replacing them about every other year. I don't have any pictures, but there is several examples on their website. Nice thing is you can work out of it in the shop and when your out on a road call, you have all your stuff right where you can find it. I was the first in the shop to use that box/system, now the rest of the Mechanics are converting over to it after seeing how well it works. Cheers!
http://www.montezumamfg.com/store/product/36quot-portable-top-chest-xl450br/ This is what I have on my pick up, along with a couple other boxes for bigger stuff.