Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pictures

Knepptune · 2018-03-22 20:58

Long story short I no longer work with the family business. Working as a mechanic now. Apparently they weren't joking when they asked if I was afraid of heights, and if I wanted to work on tower cranes. Told them I've never touched a tower crane but I was a quick learner. So here we are now. Couple little self erectors. Yes it was cold. The third picture was a large crane boom way off in the distance.

Replies8
  1. #1Knepptune2018-03-22 21:12

    Top slewing crane we put up last fall. Think it was 10:30pm Saturday night when I crawled down the ladder. Set the computer and did load tests sunday. Load testing is the only part I have trouble with. Nothing like testing the kickouts when your well over 100' in the air.

  2. #2sunniesailor2018-03-22 21:42

    Here's a video from when we were moving a jet engine from the power plant into a container for shipping! https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=780047628857670

  3. #3crane operator2018-03-24 08:10

    Better you than me. I used to do a lot of climbing building steel grain bins and legs. I never really liked heights, but I just did it anyways. I don't think that today I would be real interested. Maybe I'm just getting lazy.

  4. #4Knepptune2018-03-25 17:52

    Took this crane down this weekend. 2 days work taking it down and hauling it out. Didn't have a chance to take many pictures. The wind limit on taking this model down is 33 mph. We did it in 20 mph wind and that sucked. It also snowed 8 or so inches Saturday. I'm sure you guys can imagine cutting a 213' jib loose 150' up in the air in that wind. Overall went pretty well. Did it with a 300t AT and had a 50t helper loading pieces.

  5. #5td25c2018-03-25 18:43

    That's a big step upward Knepp ! Cool photos ! Looks like your working in Indianapolis .

  6. #6Knepptune2019-10-16 22:17

    Fun little weekend job. Set a self erector up on the second floor. Who says cranes can’t fly.

  7. #7crane operator2019-10-16 23:20

    Had to shore the floor, or was it already heavy enough for it? The other tower couldn't keep up, so a second one for the framers?

  8. #8Knepptune2019-10-17 20:48

    Bigger tower couldn’t reach the far side. Its on top of a park garage. They built a platform that sits on top of the existing posts. I thought this was a neat picture. 400t or so hydro setting precast out in Philadelphia several weeks back. Neat looking down at cranes.