Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pictures to share #2

oakland · 2009-06-04 18:20

heres a few pictures i thought i would share from the last few weeks. couple different jobs a couple different mills. enjoy the pics guys.

Replies273
  1. #1oakland2009-06-04 18:23

    few more of the 450

  2. #2griz2009-06-05 20:45

    teeth do you check your teeth each day?:beatsme

  3. #3griz2009-06-05 20:52

    new rx900 proud owners of a new 900

  4. #4griz2009-06-05 21:19

    barcelona milling concrete inside a building in spain.

  5. #5griz2009-06-05 21:30

    no smoking please hot time

  6. #6oakland2009-06-05 21:33

    what happened to that last one? i like the new RX900 it looks SWEET!

  7. #7milling_drum2009-06-06 00:08

    Have to take a stab at it but....that burnt machine looks like Fleet Millings RX700 that burnt in the cut in Manhatten, New York City last year. Thanks for all the pictures Griz, good to have you around Also, its good to see that Garrity are buying Roadtecs these days, I was in their yard in 2005 and all they had were CAT and and a few CMI machines. I know they had a W1200f too.

  8. #8griz2009-06-06 07:56

    russia #1 rx60c, #2 armed guards at airport, #3 rush hour down town, no beavers ?:beatsme

  9. #9milling_drum2009-06-06 21:17

    I was told that machine was loaded Thursday and sent to a company in Florida called Turtle milling, they actually bought it. It had less than 700 hours on it at the time it burnt up. If we were to answer the question about what happened, peoples feelings would be hurt

  10. #10milling_drum2009-06-07 22:52

    Man, I gotta know who owns those RX900's and would run them in the city in tandem, thats allot of cutting power in one place. I'd be over there in a second if they needed help

  11. #11oakland2009-06-07 22:59

    its not valentine even though they own a few, its a company out of utah http://www.coughlincompany.com/aboutUs/ they have quite a history if you read about them.

  12. #12milling_drum2009-06-11 23:51

    Thanks for that Info Oakland, when I finally get a phone that ISN'T mixed up with Nextel I'll have service and give them a call. The website was a good read. I noticed above that the dudes from Barcelona have the grade control box wire running directly to the sensor box control...its like a bypass, I've done that with a few Wirtgens.

  13. #13milling_drum2009-06-11 23:53

    Why anyone would run that to that level of disrepair is quite simply stupid.

  14. #14milling_drum2009-06-14 17:32

    Here we go...some recent stuff.

  15. #15changexlt2009-06-14 19:16

    Some of that looks oddly familiair. :thumbsup

  16. #16oakland2009-06-20 23:48

    great pics i sure do love those older cats! here are two i have seen recently.

  17. #17milling_drum2009-06-21 00:36

    If you.. Believe the read out on the CAT dash...it sez the autos are on and we are moving along at 99 ft per min. The RPM gauge shows that what we are cutting isn't into the motor at all.

  18. #18milling_drum2009-06-22 00:56

    Guess I can cut straight sometimes after all

  19. #19nevole2009-06-26 23:53

    Looks like Goodridge Mn

  20. #20milling_drum2009-06-27 10:43

    Thats at the cutoff into Hot Springs, South Dakota. Hwy 79 and 18. That range in the background is the beginning of the Black Hills.

  21. #21nevole2009-06-27 11:51

    The Minnesota Highway 219 and the Thief River Falls signs in the earler pictures has to be near Goodridge as 219 is only about 15 miles long. Sure looks like home to me!!!

  22. #22milling_drum2009-06-27 15:48

    Exactly right. That other dude that posts pictures here, changelxt is in Thief River Falls today actually.

  23. #23changexlt2009-06-27 18:25

    I remembered to take a few pictures again. What i've been doing this past week.

  24. #24changexlt2009-06-27 18:28

    Also hauling this beast, and watching for metal, along with measureing.

  25. #25milling_drum2009-06-28 14:51

    Kicking around the yard today My phone takes awful pictures...

  26. #26oakland2009-07-01 00:59

    great pics everyone. sure is strange to see how profilers are hauled in different areas. here the conveyor is always hanging off the back of the lowboy versus torwards the cab :beatsme

  27. #27Buster F2009-07-04 06:20

    The only time we load our machines with the conveyor facing out over the cab is if we are going to be working in an area where it's not possible to turn it around (such as a live interstate). We have in the past run into height issues using this method (not to mention a few damaged exhaust stacks )

  28. #28milling_drum2009-07-04 14:16

    loading In many cases theres a clearance issue. Some machines won't make it onto some trailer decks with the boom off the back, CAT/older Roadtec's have a conveyor support for the upper conveyor that runs across the lower front end of the frame. Depending on the trailer, you can only load them with the boom in a certain direction. Also are the add on's, some folks are bolting tool boxes on that reduce clearance too.

  29. #29changexlt2009-07-12 23:42

    Somebody didn't like the camera too well.

  30. #30milling_drum2009-07-15 00:25

    Dude, at least they had the machine set down fairly level for a change...

  31. #31milling_drum2009-07-16 23:22

    Wirtgen again... Montana, just outside Bozeman.

  32. #32milling_drum2009-07-22 21:48

    Hole saw/Trencher 450 Some of Changexlt's friends

  33. #33milling_drum2009-07-22 21:54

    oops Missed these two up there^

  34. #34changexlt2009-07-22 23:06

    I don't think I'll be hauling or operating that stuff, anymore. Or I hope not.

  35. #35milling_drum2009-07-27 00:17

    2100 collision But we know if I'm around IBI for an extended period of time, I'll have a few wonderful 450 days... On Northern Improvements job at the end today...both machines are still in the cut, on the right shoulder facing each other.

  36. #36milling_drum2009-08-01 00:03

    Idaho Falls Over in HK contracting's yard, a Valentine machine.

  37. #37oakland2009-08-07 15:06

    wow you move around alot milling_drum atleast your busy though that is good to see. here are a few pictures from my area, same machine two different projects.

  38. #38milling_drum2009-08-13 22:11

    The old rear loaders are nice to look at, but to run them is an entirely different story...even when you know what your doing. The Western machine has hydraulic endgates, that thing did not leave the factory like that...nice modification.

  39. #39milling_drum2009-08-20 21:26

    OLD sucker This is currently sitting in Northern Improvements yard in Bismarck, ND. They tell me they ran it a few weeks ago on a county rd job. They also tell me they run a bigger model Barber Greene RX75. I'm dying to get a look at that old thing too. We should have started an "old Iron" thread here in the mills section.

  40. #40milling_drum2009-08-30 21:57

    lids Those aren't teeth marks on that manhole lid and ring? *gasp*

  41. #41Buster F2009-09-03 06:57

    At least the manhole is still in the ground and not in the back of the truck(or on the hood of the truck). Nice way to save the trimmer guy some work

  42. #42milling_drum2009-09-03 20:35

    I agree with Buster for the most part but...cutting straight over a manhole is a never a good thing....unless your groundman is good enough to handle it. In those pictures above there was two groundmen (dolts) and they NEVER saw it. Earlier that day we hit/ran over three waterboxes /valves. (all 3 before 10 am too)

  43. #43Toegrinder2009-09-06 16:11

    I've hit a buried cattle guard no one knew was there on a recycling job with a pr-1000 down in AZ. needless to say we were done for the rest of the day. Had another job down in Rocky Ford, CO, we had two pr-800's doing the main hwy through town at 4". I hit 17 manholes in two weeks that had been paved over long ago and nobody decided to keep track of. what a nightmare.

  44. #44milling_drum2009-09-07 14:30

    Ouch....there should be clauses in resurfacing contracts which give the mill sub some leverage if that turns out to be the case. But oh well...

  45. #45milling_drum2009-09-20 17:04

    Upc In Aberdeen, SD. an obvious once great milling/profiling/cold in place/reclaimation set of equipment sits rotting away.

  46. #46milling_drum2009-09-20 17:07

    MMmmm I'll bet these things were vicious when they ran good.

  47. #47milling_drum2009-09-20 17:11

    Heavy artillary...is an understatement

  48. #48milling_drum2009-09-20 17:15

    Imagine having to run this stuff? Better have some gloves and plenty of patience:notworthy

  49. #49milling_drum2009-09-20 17:17

    .........................

  50. #50Toegrinder2009-09-22 21:07

    I hopped on the 1200 in the first picture on post number 48 back in 2001, my first year milling. It was definitely a beast. You can see part of the companies logo I worked for that it used to belong to, Arizona Pavement Profiling out of Phoenix. I worked with them from 01-07. It did nothing but sit in their yard for years because it was too big for most of the jobs they claimed. I always wondered where that machine went...now I know haha.

  51. #51milling_drum2009-09-22 22:25

    Thats excellent to read! Its ashame it was a Sunday and no one was around to talk too. The one with the square leg barrels...(they steer too?) and whats the PTO/gearbox with the handle on it? You engage the clutch by hand? The costs of mobilization of those big machines has ended their careers, two halflane mills can outproduce them easily these days and cost much less to run. It looked like 2 of those PR1200 mills came from Arizona Pavement Profiling. One of the other ones had an L&L logo faded of it, they are a big outfit from Michigan. Still, I'd love to see one of them in the ground at full rip....

  52. #52Toegrinder2009-09-23 09:35

    yes they steer too. If we are talking about the same thing it's a pony motor you attach to the cutter drive pulley to turn the drum when you are changing teeth like on the PR1000's...makes it alot easier. It really wasn't bad pulling the drums out for transport, didn't take long at all, and we had our own transports. But the cost of permits and pilot cars didn't help much i'm sure. I never knew they had two 1200's, they must have got rid of the other one before I came.

  53. #53milling_drum2009-10-06 21:55

    Duke St, Durham, NC Its nice to be in the south again in some ways...and not in others.

  54. #54milling_drum2009-10-25 22:15

    Pr 600 yup.

  55. #55milling_drum2009-10-25 22:46

    Prehistoric Mills Shame to see them like this but its good to see the old RX40 on the trailer ready to work....

  56. #56milling_drum2009-10-25 22:51

    Prehistoric That was a PR750B? anybody know?

  57. #57milling_drum2009-10-25 22:54

    Prehistoric more..

  58. #58oakland2009-10-25 23:11

    I would not mind re-storing and/or loading a few of those oldies up on a low boy (especially that CAT) I would find some work for them. I have to admit that milling here has been very slow lately and i have only seen this one around.

  59. #59Toegrinder2009-10-28 20:18

    definitely a 750...never seen a 750B though...what's the diff?

  60. #60Toegrinder2009-10-28 20:21

    or it could be that I never even paid enough attention to notice if there was a B on the two 750's I ran for years haha. I'll have to look back through my pics.

  61. #61milling_drum2009-10-29 20:18

    Up load your pics when you get a minute. Brutal looking things the old rear loaders are...

  62. #62Toegrinder2009-10-29 20:28

    I will but I need to have them scanned first, back before my dig cam days haha. They were definitely beasts, felt on top of the world

  63. #63milling_drum2009-11-08 09:30

    4ft Unfortunatly...I couldn't stand much of this.

  64. #64kokosing2009-11-18 20:57

    Hey milling drum, in the couple of pics of the Donegal CMI and the Wirtgen, where did you get the pics from? Not too far from my house is why I ask, was/is a large rehab project along our waterfront

  65. #65milling_drum2009-11-20 16:01

    Ya man, those are from the Route 5 job Union Concrete is doing. Donegal seemed to be helping them out since they couldn't have two machines running in different locations on that job. Also, in the pictures to share thread 1, you will see a busted manhole from Orchard Park Rd, the pictured Wirtgen did that one

  66. #66bean2009-11-29 14:53

    Millers Pr1000 and recycling train in Ontario. I like the added water tank.

  67. #67bean2009-11-29 14:57

    A keystone cutter drum on a PR1050

  68. #68bean2009-11-29 15:01

    The midland mixer paver that completes the miller recycling train. And the PR1000 weld on cutterdrum

  69. #69bean2009-11-29 15:07

    PR750 pulling a nesbit recycling train and PR1000 pulling a nesbit recycling train

  70. #70bean2009-11-29 15:19

    Roadtec RX110 recycling unit (the only one ever made) pulling a custom built trailer

  71. #71bean2009-11-29 15:31

    RS600 and a meter bittelli mill

  72. #72milling_drum2009-12-01 12:29

    Excellent Pictures Bean, Thanks. That Old Roadtec thing belonged to a company called MSO? Over at Facebook some of the dudes from the French version of Miller have a pretty good group going on, I may have posted some of their pictures in the older thread, they run a PR1050 as a mill for the Midland Mixer they use.

  73. #73bean2009-12-01 18:07

    MSO used to own them but split up and Seeley Arnill took the recycling years ago MSO took the chip seal and micro surfacing. MSO USA (owned by seeley) used them in michigan and a few other states but not for a couple of years now. MSO in canada is now owned by miller. The RX120 the bigger of the has been parked for the last year. The RX110 is still running and is getting major work done to it this winter. I noticed on the french miller train they have no crusher or screendeck but they have a drum that must produce some fine material. I'm pretty sure the specs in quebec allow them to get away with that.

  74. #74milling_drum2009-12-02 17:16

    Or something like that. The operator tells it that they won't allow him to run any faster than 20 ft per min...ouch. They posted a pic of the drum, its the Wirtgen one that has tight spacing, not the fine lace spacing like a concrete drum but looks like one. Seems like Miller has a stranglehold on an awful lot up there now, when I was up there working for them in Ontario they had just started taking over companies....EC King/Smith Construction and so on....back then they only had a PR450/Ingersoll 2200/Wirtgen DC2100 was new that year and they had two PR1000s with cold paving trains. Now the amount of milling equipment they own is literally staggering. (between all the divisions)

  75. #75bean2009-12-03 22:30

    another train

  76. #76Toegrinder2009-12-05 22:59

    Guess it's time to dig into my pics finally Pic 1- Waiting for traffic control and the contracor on I-70 in Glenwood canyon outside Glenwood Springs, CO Pic 2- W1200 on wheels...9.5 tons per wheel...whoever designed that machine needs to be shot Pic 3- Pr-800-7 with an 8.5 foot cutter just outside Phoenix with Arizona Pavement Profiling Pic 4- Same 800 Pic 5- Running an RS650 on the same job outside of Phoenix

  77. #77Toegrinder2009-12-05 23:06

    Lost the gears in the pump splitter gearbox on the highway at 3 am in Durango, Co, thus lost all hydraulics except travel. Used a 980 loader to pick up the ass end out of the cut and got it off the highway. The transport company we use also has a crane division and brought out their 120 ton crane to set it on the transport, made that 2000 look like a little die cast model...unreal.

  78. #78Toegrinder2009-12-05 23:12

    Pic 1- Same job in Durango before the breakdown Pic 2- Telluride, Co Pic 3- One of our transports

  79. #79Toegrinder2009-12-05 23:22

    I have plenty more pics, including some that might not be allowed to be posted since they are too graphic...basically that aftermath of what the cutter can do to your foot :Banghead: :cussing:

  80. #80RonG2009-12-06 05:55

    Can you tell us more about the pic that you are using under your name there?Where was the camera and how did it get up there?Thanks for sharing.Ron G

  81. #81milling_drum2009-12-06 10:53

    Excellent Pics.....at least it wasn't leaking oil while it was up on the air

  82. #82bean2009-12-06 11:31

    I agree they suck big time.

  83. #83Toegrinder2009-12-06 12:02

    The canyon wall runs right along the interstate and I was feeling a little frisky so I climbed up about 100 ft and took the pic. We were sitting on the westboud side. That canyon was actually the first milling job I was ever on. We did full width both directions four inches deep, 13 miles both directions. We had two PR800's, a PR750, and a PR1000 for a couple weeks. Took us four months to do, 16 hours a day, it was an awesome job to be on. The colorado river runs right along the eastbound section and there are a few rafting companies that run river rafting tours all day everyday...good scenery if you know what I mean

  84. #84milling_drum2009-12-06 12:02

    At Miller in Atlanta we took the outer wheel off the W600 we had on shouldering applications and replaced it with an entire leg barrel that had a track (custom made) worked great. We DID have to put that wheel set up back on for rumble stripping. I've run a few 1200F, none with the wheels, always tracks. I have run a few of the smaller Wirtgen mills with rubber wheels like that and they REALLY sucked to get on a tralier in less than ideal conditions, IE weather or worn out rubber on wheel affected steering, that kinda thing. I was taught with those machines that have a leg that swings in so the cutter can stay close to a curb....soon as you come off the curb or out of the cut...swing it back out...do NOT travel Long distances and do NOT try to traverse the cut with the leg swung in or you may flip it if your going to fast....Wirtgens do not elevate very fast....at least the ones I've run don't. That outift I was just at in NC, they had a W1200F which they were having all kinds of problems with. The few times I saw it in the yard on the trailer the leg was always swung in, I asked the owner why they would put it on the trailer without swinging the leg back out.....hes a good guy and had NO idea of what I just mentioned about swinging leg out....they never bothered with such things atall...hence the problems with travel and worn track pads. (oh, they blew a lowerdrive up on it once too, go figure) Last I saw that machine on the trailer in the yard, it was in sorry shape, lower belt full of material, main cutter bearing no grease and of course...the swing leg was swung in...bet it sucks to operate after being run by people that lack a little bit of common sense. I think the W1200F is a good machine in the track config, I couldn't even begin to imagine trying to run one with wheels....ick.

  85. #85Blue Collar2009-12-06 17:50

    i run a w1000f and hardly ever have the leg out unless i am cutting along a shoulder with a deep drop off, or doing road widening because the machine is narrow anyways just to keep a good cut while one side is tracking in the ditch. It doesnt really matter whether the leg is in or out, really just whatever the operator prefers

  86. #86Blue Collar2009-12-06 18:08

    hey toegrinder, one our w2000's had the same thing happen to it this summer up by chicago, and had to have the O'Hare wrecking company come and pick it up and put it on the lowboy. We didnt get on tv though haha

  87. #87Toegrinder2009-12-06 22:08

    in the track configuration i am sure it is a handy machine, but not wheels that's just retarded. it's pretty reliable too, only had two significant problems with it in 3 years. In regard to cutting along curb, I prefer to have the leg out, as it makes it easier to see the curb on the inside of the sensor/endslide. Also because when you turn away from or towards the curb the drum doesn't move as much as if the leg were to be swung in. Everyone's preference/style is different though:beatsme

  88. #88Toegrinder2009-12-06 22:21

    That was actually the third time we lost the gearbox. The first time it was the bearing on the output shaft, tore it apart and replaced the bearing. Second time we lost three of the six gears. I tried to get the owner to let me replace all six seein as how I had the other three magnaflux and they had microscopic cracks. But since they had a pricetag of $1,600 to $3,000 each, he opted to do just the three. Ok fine:Banghead. Well the rest of the gears lasted about two weeks, destroyed all the new ones plus an old one. He wanted to replace ONLY the busted ones again, but I was finally able to talk some sense into him. Ended up paying $14,000 for a new complete gearbox. All in all though he spent $20,000 in parts, plus the time to replace it all, and the crane cost...ouch. The first time I tore the gearbox out it took me 16 hours to get it out, I can now have the gearbox out, gears replaced, and gearbox back in and running in 8 hours(with one hand tied behind my back, blindfolded, and one earplug in haha.)

  89. #89milling_drum2009-12-08 18:33

    Alot of the curbs out here have NO gutter pan atall so running the leg in is a certainty in alot of areas out here in the east. The one machine I mentioned earlier had all kinds of problems from travel control all the way to track pad wearing uneven. I've also seen a problem with the track motor hyd lines getting in the way during a leg swing and either being torn off or crimping the ends up badly which in turn causes the hose to split...but... That W2000 your mentioning, those mass of problems are unusual too Wirtgen from what I've encountered, never seen bad drives or gearbox problems. I have seen plenty of leaking lowerdrives from the afforementioned issues. Gearboxes are never an easy fit.....I can only hope you had a covered area and some decent weather to do that in...

  90. #90bean2009-12-08 20:22

    *** is this i think its CMI from what i can see in the photo and kinda looks like a trimmer but i'm not sure wk construction owns it i'm pretty sure from what ive read its an independant part of their cold in place process that picks up already sized material from a train and paves it all on its own

  91. #91Blue Collar2009-12-09 16:26

    Just curious if any of you guys in the north were still millin, or if the season is over and how everybody did this year compared to normal. Our season in Indiana was alright but still down from previous years. Illinois kept us paid, that state was redoing every road they got it seemed like.

  92. #92milling_drum2009-12-09 16:53

    Goood question. Most of the northern mills are parked by now, asphalt plants generally shut down the second week of Oct. However down in Jersey and NYC they keep running right into the second week of Dec and DOT in NYC does not shut down at all from what I'm told. Out where I was in the Midwest this season was good, plenty busy except towards the end there was a shortage of liquid asphalt....so they cut short a few large square yardage jobs. The southern folks are running as usual, lots of competition amongst the contractors. Next season is supposed to be really busy, that lecture from the president reinforced that stimulus money was held back in order to keep it from being abused/wasted/stolen. Which means in short they are releasing funds in equal amounts over longer periods of time.

  93. #93Blue Collar2009-12-09 17:07

    hey milling drum, i know you get around to a lot different states was just wondering if ya ever worked for one of milling contractors in indiana

  94. #94Blue Collar2009-12-09 17:28

    i hate road widening, but i run the 3.5ft drum for our company and always get stuck milling the dirt and clay to widen the road and it pisses me off when my drum is always getting clogged up and wont kick the material onto the discharge belt. Does anyone have any tricks of the trade to share about how to keep the clay from sticking to the drum, like anything to spray on it or anything that can be done?

  95. #95bean2009-12-09 18:38

    no water is the only thing we found on out pulverizers/recyclers. Clay is a major pain in the ass

  96. #96Toegrinder2009-12-09 22:56

    Covered area..HAHA what is that?? I had a 10'X8' 1" steel plate to park it on...that's it. Wirtgens are definitely awesome machines...but only if they are properly maintained and people aren't constantly hammering anything and everything in the ground. This 2000 is an '01 with about 7,000 hours. the previous "operator" that had it since new for 6 years by no means took care of it. he even let the four main bolts that bolt the cutter housing in fall out and eventually the cutter fell out when he was milling. tweaked the whole frame of the machine. one of the ears where the gearbox bolts to the frame broke. I am constantly tightening the turbo mounting bolts..electrical problems at least three times a week. although this machine is a nightmare to keep running, I am kind of glad because I now know it completely inside and out, electrical and all.:bash

  97. #97Blue Collar2009-12-10 20:21

    Thanks bean, i know what you mean thats about all that can be done. Just wish i could pound that through some contractors heads when they complain about not getting enough distance or square yardage for the day. The worst time i had this summer was when it rained 1.5" on sunday and i was supposed to finish the job that monday and i told the company we needed to work the saturday before and finish, Long story short one more work day turned into two and half

  98. #98milling_drum2009-12-12 12:45

    I just effin wish I could get into Indiana, the pay rates are great. But the upper plains are aight for now You could try to modify that drum a little for shouldering? Bean mentions water and thats about all I would be inclined to believe would help. However more water would make the material heavier and cause problems with the lower conveyor unless you control it carefully on starts and stops...extra paddles on the drum might help but slow you down milling....In effect they should always have a special drum for that type of shouldering if clay is going to be a problem...eventually it will cause you a break down...as it is its costing you time cleaning it off....widening does suck. That Wirtgen W2000.....I've been of the impression that Wirtgen make a machine thats so easy to run that the people running them ignore...or never know certain/somethings because the machine does it all. For instance, you can take a person thats only run Wirtgen for 5 years and send them with a CMI/Roadtec in a three track config....they are completely lost to set it down, they have NO idea where or what zero is or how to walk the rear track over a manhole....this issue is endless...Good to see you got the know how with the Wirtgen electronics....that is by no means easy either.

  99. #99milling_drum2009-12-22 18:55

    Forgot these.. While I was in Atlanta I dropped by The Miller Groups yard there. Spent a number of good years with them running most all of the machines pictured. The reason these machines are in the yard is because they mainly run Wirtgen now....CMI is pretty much a thing of the past.

  100. #100milling_drum2009-12-26 16:34

    W600 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3743344&l=995529c508&id=593198342 Pic of that modified W600....forgot I had them. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3743344&l=995529c508&id=593198342

  101. #101milling_drum2009-12-28 13:17

    Cuz I'm not smart enuff to download...I have to use links http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3743356&l=8446c8e048&id=593198342

  102. #102milling_drum2009-12-29 18:13

    Cuttin Found these kicking around the net whilest lookin for work...

  103. #103milling_drum2009-12-29 19:26

    In post 100, behind the PR1050 on the ground, anybody know what that is?

  104. #104milling_drum2009-12-31 12:13

    MAK Milling off they're website.

  105. #105Turtle2010-02-27 13:59

    Burnt mill is 'was Fleets RX-700. We bought it for parts last year from Charlie at Mohawk

  106. #106milling_drum2010-02-27 14:46

    Mr Ando, I saw those mills while they were running, they weren't taken care of very well and that happening was just a matter of time. One day over at there yard they had a 60B on the lowboy ready to take it to a job, I was giving it a look and noticed that the bearing on the drum was shot. I told them about it while I was in the office and they seemed to not care. It went to the Conduit expressway which isn't far from where I was staying in Queens NYC. Couple of days later I saw the milling pattern and a huge stain of oil on the road. Apparently it lasted about 15 minutes running and for some reason the protection shaft into the planetary held together long enough to do some damage on that side as well. Like alot of the milling contractors that don't take care of their mills, they are gone.

  107. #107Turtle2010-03-15 16:06

    Old Old School Milling Machine Pics Here's a few pictures form our archives at Turtle Southeast. 1) 1974 Galion RP-30, 30" head no conveyor, no grade controls. Ground man directed operator up or down for depth of cut. 2)1976 CMI PR-575, 9'-3" wide cutter, rear load, extra engine mounted in front of machine to give extra boost to cutter drum hydraulic motors 3) 1979 Roconeco Sidewinder 6.5, first direct drum drive, front load mill, invented by Herb jacobs in his barn in Taylor, SC, His company was bought out by Ingersoll Rand and machines we called MT or MW 6520's. Same basic design is used on all half lane mills today.

  108. #108milling_drum2010-03-15 22:44

    Just to have someone around thats been milling that long is incredible. Thank you for the pictures and PLEASE post all you are comfortable with sharing.

  109. #109bean2010-03-21 16:44

    Gallion with conveyor (i was soposed to post a picture of one like a year ago )

  110. #110bean2010-03-21 16:47

    here it is

  111. #111bean2010-03-21 22:39

    interesting mod

  112. #112milling_drum2010-07-30 11:15

    Out on the Res The emulsion rep came out and took some pictures that are much better then anything I can take

  113. #113milling_drum2010-07-30 18:55

    Backup This is the PR1000 they have as a backup in case old faithful proves to difficult to manage...its at 14ft wide right now.

  114. #114bean2010-08-05 10:45

    Some City Work

  115. #115bean2010-08-05 10:51

    We always had a problem where the train while going downhill would chase the pr1000 and push up on the hitch do they not find that happens with the hydraulic cylinders and chains they have? Maby there is just something I cannot see or there is no hills in arizona ?

  116. #116milling_drum2010-08-05 16:14

    With the system we have I have no found any problems comming down a hill, since the crusher/pugmill has air brakes and a steering set of wheels I'm sure they have some way of countering any push problems. I'll ask Rich and Steve if its ever an issue. Theres plenty of hills in Arizona, right now these pictures are from New Mexico.

  117. #117bean2010-08-06 10:28

    We have the same on ours but the ground man sometimes forgets the brakes. We switched to a rigid bar a long time ago instead of chains so its not really an issue I was just wondering.

  118. #118bean2010-08-08 10:52

    here is what we have done

  119. #119bean2010-08-08 11:23

    12' 6" pr1000 drums one upcut the other down.

  120. #120milling_drum2010-08-08 11:57

    That harness looks almost exactly like the ones APP uses. I noticed the one on the machine we are running might be the only one they have fabricated. Thankfully I'll be done with Cold in place for until next year at the end of the week. We should be done here or close too it. Next week I'll have some PR1050 pictures too post hopefully.

  121. #121bean2010-08-10 08:47

    PR 800-7 I saw today

  122. #122Toegrinder2010-08-14 10:48

    Have I mentioned I don't miss those 1000's or the train? . 801997 was always the better me kid two. I blew the small engine(don't remember the number) back in '04 when we were milling the GM proving grounds. Got alot of pictures of the prototype vehicles racing around. I still need to scan the old pics from then and when I split the drum on 8019. Try that for an 8 second ride.

  123. #123bean2010-08-14 10:56

    We are on our 3rd 3208 engine (the small one )

  124. #124Toegrinder2010-08-15 00:17

    That should have said 8017 was always the better of the two...::note to self, double check post when using posting from phone and using T9...stupid T9::

  125. #125milling_drum2010-08-16 18:48

    Up north again Kickin around Midstates yard today....

  126. #126bean2010-08-16 19:19

    Must not be to busy if thats all sitting in their yard. I know ours looks like a ghost town once the season starts

  127. #127milling_drum2010-08-16 20:20

    Thats actually not the case at all. 4 W2100's are out. The PR1050 I'll be with tomorrow. 2 W2000's are out. All the reclaimers are out (not sure how many but somewhere around 5 is the number). The machines pictured are only in the yard for repairs. The PM201 had a CAT service truck on it all day and the W120 was getting a water pump upgrade. The old machines are sitting in the back for parts only. None of them have engines in them. The running PR1000 is pulling a Nesbitt recycler somewhere in MN. They have a PR1050 also pulling a Nesbitt recycler. Any mill operator with a Class A CDL would get a job here right now.

  128. #128milling_drum2010-08-17 22:14

    Pr1050 With Mobe grade controls....I know a few folks that would go berzerk to have had this setup years ago.:notworthy

  129. #129bean2010-08-20 13:11

    make that our fourth 3208

  130. #130The Tackman2010-08-21 01:11

    They are doing all the milling for our job on I-20 in Atlanta.

  131. #131milling_drum2010-08-21 18:30

    Well thats nice. I spent alot of time on I-20 with Miller back in the late 90's. Couch had that contract. By the time it was done APAC had taken over. Most of the Couch people became APAC people. Those ramps downtown were a little small to have a PR1050 on but it was done....

  132. #132The Tackman2010-08-21 18:41

    Miller has their 12' machine out there now. I can't remember if it is a CMI or a Wirtgen.

  133. #133bean2010-08-31 15:35

    A rx900 w2000 and 2 pr800's

  134. #134bean2010-08-31 22:38

    Took the w2000 for a small move down the road

  135. #135dshetron2010-09-10 09:44

    Hey guy's - I have pics of my Volvo MT2000 that I can post after I get off probation!

  136. #136spotremix2010-09-10 17:21

    i'm new this website and would like to start a thread on this so you guys don't have to post replies here. but according to the rules i can't start my own thread until i have at leasat 3 posts. so this will be number. i don't run a construction business or even work for one. infact i own a lawn maintenance business. but i am extremely into cold milling machines and the whole process of milling a road and paving roads. currently i'm trying to learn with no sucess the entire operation of a cold milling machine. i understand the simple aspects, the machine has a drum with teeth that rip up the asphalt and send it onto a conveyor which then sends it to a dump truck. what i don't know is why it takes a ground person and someone on the machine to operate it. so far i've found out the man on the machine is basically just the driver? is that correct. and the guy on the ground controls the actual milling of the asphalt? why can't just one guy do that from the machine? can someone post or pm a detailed explanation? or if you wish wait until i start my own thread once i get 3 posts. sorry to be so long winded.

  137. #137milling_drum2010-09-10 19:15

    Since I'm the resident big mouth and wish I knew it all.... Being on top of a milling machine its difficult to tell how deep the machine is actually cutting, therefore you need someone on the ground to make sure parts aren't falling off and that your at the correct depth. Do you think with a machine that big you can jump a water valve or manhole after the machine is actually right over top of it? Simple stuff if you think about it.

  138. #138spotremix2010-09-10 19:33

    but don't you just set how deep you want to cut before you start cutting and then just drive? maybe i don't fully understand how a cold milling machine works. i figured you turn the cutter on lower it to the ground at the depth you want and start moving forward. i can see needing someone to watch out for manhole covers and what not but i see the guy on the ground using some buttons on either side of the machine.

  139. #139Toegrinder2010-09-10 21:22

    On a simple 2 or however many inch mill and fill on the highway then sure you could pull it off with one guy, not as efficeiently but you could. But try cutting an intersection along curb around a radius while loading a truck adjusting your grade, possiblly back and forth between slope, all while watching for manholes and valves...and making it look good. Plus it just comes off as unprofessional to the contractors when you show up by yourself. One person...no thanks.

  140. #140milling_drum2010-09-10 23:27

    its also nice to have somebody on the ground keeping cars/people and everything out of the way, trucks are ... stupid and need to be told what to do constantly. without a groundman your likely to have a long day in some cases where it isn't necessary. Lots of mills are run nowadays by just the operator up top because the controls are so easy and automated...that isnt the case with an older machine. Running one of those would mean a few trips up and down the ladder to get going.

  141. #141daddy2010-09-11 08:49

    I guess I'm spoiled. I have two ground men and a truck watcher. We do mostly residential streets/township roads, and ALOT of profiling/grade correcting, where you can't just set it and forget it. Both guys are often dialing grade adjustments at the same time. If I had a guy capable of running the machine to my satisfaction, I could probably handle both sides on the ground, but you can't be in two places at once, and I'm sure I'd mess up some.

  142. #142Toegrinder2010-09-11 09:36

    That's how it should be, but alot of companies are too cheap or ignorant to provide another guy

  143. #143spotremix2010-09-11 12:15

    i guess i still don't understand the full operation of a cold milling machine then. i thought they just mill off the old asphalt, plain and simple. you just run it over the area you are going to resurface. whats all this stuff about grade and slope? and why does it need to look good. it's just gonna get resurfaced. maybe i've never seen a bad job from a good job so i don't understand. but thats why i'm here. so i an understand these things.

  144. #144Toegrinder2010-09-11 14:15

    When a house is being built, is it ok to skimp on the framing just because it is going to be covered by drywall??

  145. #145andoman2010-09-11 14:16

    If you don't control the cut then you'll screw up the quantity of asphalt/concrete it will take to fill the hole you just made and wreck your ride quality numbers on road jobs. If you're milling a parking lot you can also screw up the drainage.

  146. #146Toegrinder2010-09-11 14:19

    Along with possibly shorting the contractor on their quantities

  147. #147milling_drum2010-09-11 14:47

    Well Mr Spotremix.....being that you have the word "Wirtgen" in your description, dont you worry about it, if you have to run a Wirtgen you dont ever need to worry about REALLY knowing how to run a milling machine.

  148. #148spotremix2010-09-11 15:13

    i just put that in there because they make you fill in a location. i don't run, own, operate or work for a construction company. i actually own a lawn maintenance business. i am here because i have a passion for cold milling machines. i collect diecast construction equipment and cold milling machines are at the heart of collection. especially the wirtgen w2000. all i know about them is what i've read on wirgen's website and wikipedia, plus watching them in action. thats why i'm here. hoping somone can give me a detailed description of them and how they work and what all the 2 operators do while operating them. sort of like an on the job training session starting from once it's unloaded from the trailer to actualling milling the asphalt. see i thought you just unload it, lower the milling drum and start moving forward. but it appears theres a lot more to it and i wanna know what all that is. when they are using those control panels on the back sides of the machine what are they doing? who raises and lowers the machine? who activates the milling drum? does the guy on the machine just take care of driving it and operating the conveyor to load the dump truck?

  149. #149ke6gwf2010-09-12 03:20

    I used to own a lawn maintenance business... Think I was about 14 when I sold it to the neighbor kid... Best way I have found to learn how a machine works is to watch it work, and notice what happens when a button is pushed or a lever is pulled. then after you have the basics figured out, ask the operator when they have downtime waiting for a truck. If they aren't jerks and you are respectful and don't ask to many stupid questions, they often will be happy to brag about what they do! I can't tell you how many machines I have learned to run that way. Once you figure out how to figure them out, there isn't a machine you can't run. (not to say that you will be good at it!) Go out to an intersection on a slope where there are grade changes around curves and drainage intakes and manholes and visualize what it would take to remove exactly 2" depth @4' width following the existing contour of the edges of the 4' section. Once you can picture that, the rest is cake.:Banghead Ben~

  150. #150daddy2010-09-12 08:41

    Lawn maintenance... or... :stirthepot ???

  151. #151spotremix2010-09-12 10:17

    i probably have a hard time thinking about grade and slope when it comes to roads because they grade and slope is probably minimual to the naked eye. when i look at roads, driveways, etc. even around drain covers and what not it all looks flat and level to me. but i do sort of see how that would be a factor when milling asphalt. i would think though since most of the milling i see happening in my neck of the woods that it would be the job of the paver to do the slope and grade. usually when roads are milled here they take it down below the man holes and drain covers. when the milling machine is done it looks to be a concrete surface that is left. its a great idea to watch a crew and ask questions if only i had the time for that. but i feel like the questions i have are to complicated to asking on a work on the job trying to get it done. what i've observed recently when they milled the street i live on is the man on the machine steers it, raises the machine when needed and controlls the conveyor filling the dump trucks. the man on the ground engages and disengages the milling drum and lowers the machine when needed. i never saw the ground man do anything but walk along side the machine otherwise. never saw him make any adjustments as the machine was milling. not to mention i think another that hinders my capabilities of understand exactly what is going on is the fact that i'm constantly thinking of the scale models i have which of course lack certain things only the real machine have.

  152. #152changexlt2010-09-12 12:42

    Depending on the age of machine. Let's start with a PR-450 The operator, steers, controls conveyor, starts and stop milling drum. Turns on hydromatic grade controls, and changes slope is running on slope. Raises and lowers all legs, to get drum to clear obstacles or get drum close to surface to be milled. Also controls the moldboard raising and lowering. Also controls water flow and on and off. The ground men watch the ground, and set the depth of the machine to job specs. They also keep an eye on the cut, to make sure it stays at depth, and keep a smooth operation going. PM-565 Operator has ability to do almost everything, except raise and lower slabbing plate/lower conveyor. (switch is not on operator platform. Cannot raise sideplates from up top. Operator can do all else, but needs eyes on the ground to keep the sonic sensors from making the machine make bumps in the road or a unsmooth surface. Groundmen are necessary to keep the milling operation productive. Yes the operator can do it all, but at what time cost, getting on and off the machine to check the cut, stops production, not good for keeping the money flowing. Most crews in my company have a Forman who also does ground work, possibly operate and may get water. A water truck driver who also does ground work. and the operator, who can do everything if the others are rather lazy. 3 man crew if possible with a lowboy service truck and water truck completely mobile, to get from job to job quickly.

  153. #153spotremix2010-09-12 14:56

    excellent explanation. i just learned a little..... now what is the mold boards purpose? i assumed it only was raised to replace teeth on the drum. so since the ground men set the depth of the machine to spec's does that mean the operator on the machine does not know what the depth is, what it needs to be, or how to set it? also how would the machine not stay at the depth once set? or when you say they make sure the machine stays at the depth is that taking into consideration slope and grade? in my mind say you set the dept at 2". once you start moving that 2" setting should stay set. how would the legs of the machine raise or lower on there own? now if you take grade and slope into consideration then yes i can see where along the way the ground men might need to lower the machine or raise the machine to keep the consistant 2" dept. but on flat surface how would the machine not remain milling at 2"???

  154. #154changexlt2010-09-12 18:42

    The moldboard is to float along the cut during operation, or pressure can be applied, to scrape asphalt off of concrete, where the depth varies some. Most roads aren't perfect. If they were perfectly smooth, they wouldn't need as much work. The PR-450 uses sensing arm's connected to a hydraulic controller. Somewhere on this site you will see I put pics of a 450 on here. they keep the machine at depth, but if those wheels hit a bump, dirt or foreign material they can move up, in which the machine moves up. Like at the end of a cut. Lots of roads have a crown in the center. With a 565 and the sonic sensors which control the front legs. They read the road surface. So if the crown isn't consistent, the depth changes some. or if the operator spills a pile in front of it, or the tracks. Guess what happens when the machine drives over a pile. It leaves a bump. Take speed also into consideration. The faster you go the deeper the machine needs to be set to get actual depth. Faster you go the more force it takes to keep the teeth in the ground. I don't know if I've seen a perfect road yet.

  155. #155Toegrinder2010-09-12 23:43

    HAHAHA buurn...

  156. #156milling_drum2010-09-13 10:03

    Now now Toegrinder, I've seen your little friends at App and know that YOU know how to mill whether you are now a Wirtgen fan or not.... Last nite with C&S was rather fun for a change. They have an older W2100, a single turbo 6 cylinder CAT engine. Whats so funny about this machine is that the Wirtgen Logo's on the older ones were stenciled into the frames/bodies, the cap on the water tank has the Wirtgen logo too. Last time I saw a new machine with those markings was a W2000 in 2005 in South Florida. But this old thing is a cutting SOB, pretty good to operate too. Nice to have a milling supt thats knows a little something too even if the rest of them are worthless.... A story....So last nite I noticed the second machine is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back there. We run outta trucks for a sec so I get down and say to the groundman...(milling 3 weeks and a complete loss, he won't last a year. Needs to go back to Walmart where they found his ass....) ..."Holy **** we laid an @ss whippin on that other machine, Lookit how far back they are hahahaha..." He Sez to me "oh they hit an overhead wire..." REALLY NOW.....I'm like "what wire?" Then I almost fall down laffing but.... I'd hate to see these poor creatures with a REAL milling machine....Wirtgen saves them their jobs really.

  157. #157spotremix2010-09-13 19:36

    i have wirtgen in my location for 2 reasons. one was already stated. i had to put something in the location spot and didn't want to put my real one. the other reason is because wirtgen's are my favorite cold milling machines. most by looks of course since i'm not in the construction industy and have never and probably will never run one of these machines. since i'm a diecast model collector that has a lot to do with it as well. there are currently 3 diecast models in production. a wirtgen w2000, a wirtgen f100 and a bomag. the f100 is to small for my liking and i didn't really care for the bomag either. how much can a cold milling machine hold before it has to spit it out into a dump truck? when they were milling the road i live on i noticed a few times when they were milling around a medien and during the turn they shut off the conveyor belt and it wasn't spitting anything out. i assume there is a little bit of a "belly" on those machines?

  158. #158Toegrinder2010-09-14 00:09

    Yeah buddy, wirtgen til the end and that was a burn to the people that have run only wirtgen, I have definitely had my share of trying to train people on one..::coughlazycough:: Yeah like I said before Clayton definitely knows his stuff. Never seen him on a wirtgen but he is a natural on everything, and taught me on an 800. I'll have to give Sam crap about his wire tearing down op..

  159. #159milling_drum2010-09-14 12:15

    Ya for sure, Wirtgens are great as far as comming from running the older machines. Its nice to have a machine that you can actually trust to do something instead of constantly having to worry if its going to tear up over something simple. Me and Clay was talking last nite about how much we like Wirtgens and how much we don't like them about certain things. The newer of the two 2100's has a worn tall pulley in the lower conveyor and it would take at least a day maybe two to get it fixed right...and it wouldn't be a good idea to try that on the road... Another thing we noticed is the older lower bulkhead/front mould board's on the older 2100 do not make anything close to the same mess of material discharge all over the place. The newer one, like most of the newer ones have alot of material that sits on that lower bulkhead area and discharges quite a bit. The old one is a quick easy wash compared to the newer one. It has WAY less material down there on it at the end of the day. I had wondered about this for awhile with them thinking something was wrong with the newer ones, I'd made plenty of remarks to the people I was with that they don't make a mess like this, something must be wrong and got laffed off....now I know the difference. Clayton is great to work for, Sam's lucky hes got a good milling supt considering the work hes taken on. Last nite I ran the CAT PR105 trimmer...whatta treat that was/is. :O

  160. #160bean2010-09-14 19:41

    Ah so it seems Terex has made a PR950B pictures are on their website anyone have experience with the PR950's? I have read one article about a airport job thats it. http://terexrb.com/Content.aspx?pgID=224

  161. #161bean2010-09-18 17:42

    PR-800-7 with a stringline ski

  162. #162milling_drum2010-09-19 12:18

    Down here that is called an averaging system. Never seen it used out east.

  163. #163spotremix2010-09-19 14:06

    what's it's purpose? to help keep the machine going straight?

  164. #164bean2010-09-20 18:06

    Averages out imperfections in the road. I will post some pictures of the road tomorow.

  165. #165bean2010-09-21 12:35

    here it is Spotremix the spot with no tooth marks is a low spot the high spots were removed by the milling machine.

  166. #166milling_drum2010-09-24 18:14

    old 2100 This old girl has the Wirtgen logos stenciled onto the body and the cap of the water tank....that trimmer I simply cannot discuss, painful.:Banghead

  167. #167BigdaddyH2010-09-30 21:58

    Hey Bean, you can see the PR950B here in this video. There's one up in Chicago area with a 12'6" head on it. YouTube - "The sound of prosperity"

  168. #168bean2010-10-03 15:38

    Thanks for that bigdaddy hope to see more posts from you.

  169. #169milling_drum2010-10-03 19:32

    I saw a Coupla the bigger CMI/Terex machines last year in Texas, Saw NYC DOT running one in 2008. They looked like excellent machines, They may have improved a little on the CMI ways... Not many outfits will look at them because they are scared of CMI's past. Scared they can't get parts and that they will not be able to run them properly...You have to know a little bit about milling to run one, They are not like Wirtgen where a simpleton can set it into a cut and run it without having to know specifics..

  170. #170andoman2010-10-16 11:31

    Working at kohl's and target

  171. #171The Tackman2010-10-17 11:03

    The short doubles bring back good memories....Does Allied run any gravel trains yet?

  172. #172andoman2010-10-17 12:04

    We have two 30 yarders that we run but not full trains. We talked about our trucks earlier this summer, and the short doubles are just convenient but I think we're working toward running just 30 yarders they're just that much faster and you can get them into just about anywhere you can get a quad. I think we'll slowly change over to having mostly 30 yarders on a crew and one tri-axle or quad for tight spots.

  173. #173andoman2010-10-21 10:03

    http://www.dglobe.com/event/article/id/42002/ BREWSTER — A section of a bridge on Nobles County 1 south of Brewster collapsed Tuesday afternoon as a contractor was working on the bridge deck. “The contractor was milling the bituminous surface off the bridge deck, preparing it for an overlay that was to take place next week,” explained Nobles County Public Works Director Steve Schnieder. “He had all of the bituminous surface removed except for one pass on the east side.” The milling machine — which is estimated to weigh about 80,000 pounds — was making that last pass when the outer edge of one of the bridge spans failed, sending the machine plummeting toward Elk Creek below. “The operator was able to jump clear before it shifted and went down,” reported Schnieder, adding that the man did seek medical care for a possible knee strain that resulted from the incident, but was otherwise unharmed. “The front of the machine is down in the channel; the majority is still sitting on the bridge deck at an angle, at a steep angle, nosing down toward the channel.” Nobles County 1 is a well-traveled road, according to Schnieder, serving as an artery between the communities of Brewster and Round Lake. The bridge is located about one mile south of Brewster. “This is the connection between the Brewster and Round Lake Schools,” he said. “It’s the primary route between the schools for transferring children. It’s also used obviously for grain movement, for the elevator and fertilizer plant in Brewster and the soybean plant. It carries its share of loads north and south between Brewster and Round Lake.” The bridge had recently been evaluated by a state bridge engineer as part of an assessment of area bridges prompted by the recent licensing of a new type of truck for the roadways. “There were 10 that were questionable, and he was in the process of finalizing his report to the state,” Schnieder noted. “So it was something that was being looked at this summer and being evaluated, not just by our inspectors, but by another set of eyes. I talked to him this afternoon, and he was fairly surprised at the type of failure, such a catastrophic failure.” It had been determined that there was some deterioration in an outer piling, Schnieder said, so that piling will be a prime suspect in determining a cause for the collapse. State bridge inspectors from Windom had already been on the scene taking pictures Tuesday afternoon. The contractor flew in by helicopter to take a look at the scene and was getting quotes for a crane to remove the milling machine. Since the majority of the bridge is still standing, it will be evaluated to see if it can continue to support traffic. “Maybe we can put a temporary railing up to channel people across if the rest is still structurally sound,” Schnieder said. “Otherwise, it would probably remain closed throughout the winter and next spring until we can arrange for funding and design a new structure. It will probably be early next summer if we have to replace the whole structure.” In the meantime, Schnieder advises motorists to follow the marked detour. “We encourage the public to find alternate routes in that area,” he said. “The detour will be erected to Trunk Highway 60 and up to Brewster. We ask people to stay on the detour and stay off the local gravel roads, because the dust and additional traffic creates more problems for the townships.” Tags: bridge collapse, nobles county, news, bridge, collapse, brewster, nobles, county I'd hate to go for that ride, it's a good thing that everyone was okay. Keep your eyes open guys this is the second one this year!

  174. #174Toegrinder2010-10-21 11:03

    Bridges have always made me nervous, especially when they are 100-200 feet off the ground. Glad this one wasn't Ando, do you have a link or pics of the other one?

  175. #175milling_drum2010-10-21 13:00

    Cripes....

  176. #176andoman2010-10-21 17:54

    I don't, and I searched my email for the link to no avail. As a consolation prize I do have miller brothers finding a void under the concrete in downtown detroit. Luckily nobody got hurt.

  177. #177Johnc2011-01-20 11:24

    Ive been running a 1200ft for a couple years now and its a real pain to keep this machine on grade or too "correct" the grade. Do you think its because of the track configuration or because of such a short averaging distance. I find that such a slight movement or turn along a curve leaves me constantly adjusting to keep the drum at the depth I started with.

  178. #178hardhatman2011-02-13 14:43

    here's a great night shot of milling

  179. #179Johnc2011-02-16 19:44

    bus terminal

  180. #180changexlt2011-03-26 09:50

    Got some pics of a new W2200 with a used 8 ft drum, and it's a heavy mill. Pretty nice machine, gonna take a little getting used to. Upper conveyor seems weak. Stalled it 4 times on Friday.

  181. #181milling_drum2011-03-26 14:22

    Dam...Looks cold!!! Hey, Make sure before you run, that the conveyor is turning for a good little while warming up and make sure you do a good cleanout on washdown ESPECIALLY the lower tall pulley. In that kinda weather if material gets caught in there and freezes over night it will be a problem in the morning. Also that knob on the control panel for adjusting the conveyor speed might be whacked out. Turn them all the way up on BOTH control panels. Wirtgen might make a nice machine and all but its peak operating features depend on whose running it and how well they know them. In Alabama years ago we left the washdown hose with water in it, that night we had a freeze and the brass swivel fitting snapped in half.

  182. #182milling_drum2011-03-26 14:26

    Hahahaha Just noticed that hotel, looks like where I stayed when I was up there in Billings, Montana.

  183. #183Toegrinder2011-03-26 23:07

    Now, I hate to go against what you say Mr Drum, cuz we all know you are the man when it comes to 2200's and the fact I haven't been on one in close to 4 years. But if I remember correctly there was only one water pump and conveyor speed control, and they were both on the right side only...right? Or have I been sniffing too many exhaust fumes again?

  184. #184milling_drum2011-03-27 09:42

    You are right. The controls on the right have that goofy compu serve window too. The 2200 I was just on had a few items on it that were different then others I've seen and run. Texops 2200 didnt have any additional controls for water or conveyor atall. I never was much of an operator anyways, last week with those Roadtecs, I couldnt even find the master switch or engine start

  185. #185Toegrinder2011-03-28 11:24

    Haha, don't feel too bad, I wouldn't even know how to climb up on a roadjunk I mean roadtec :-/ don't have much desire too either

  186. #186milling_drum2011-03-29 14:56

    Its all good these days....I won't even apply to companies that only run Wirtgen:O That "brand new" Roadtec APP has, had less than a year on it (Oct. last year) and looked slap, WORN out. I couldn't believe it.

  187. #187changexlt2011-03-29 22:54

    Couple scenery pics.

  188. #188changexlt2011-04-18 22:23

    First Three are mixing gravel with 3.5 inches asphalt. Got to where I was loading a train 35-45 ton in two minutes and 30 seconds. They couldn't bring gravel fast enough. Last 2 are some hard teeth burning cutting. Could only do 30 foot a minute at 5 inches deep, all the mill could handle.

  189. #189jenstarltd2011-04-18 22:32

    Is this a 210 or 250

  190. #190milling_drum2011-04-19 02:58

    Dude .... check those water tips out real good, its still so cold up there who knows what gets in them at nite when it freezes, I got in the habit of completely removing those silly filters in the tip heads for good. No way 5 inches will slow that thing down unless something is wrong. I had WSP's W2200 at 55 fpm at the Army Proving grounds in Yuma Az cutting 11 inches deep like it was nothing, and that road saw plenty of heavy traffic AKA tanks and all that junk...I know theres a chance I'm wrong being its Montana, We are at I-90 just east of Missoula and I'm told the asphalt will not be a joke out here...

  191. #191Anomalie2011-04-21 15:48

    Hey milling_drum, You don't look like you have time to work with all of this writting. I would like to ask your opinion if this is the right place to talk about this: I have a metal detection sensor that will scan a 8 to 12 foot wide pass. At up to 30 miles per hour make a google earth map of the scanned area with man-holes, water and utility valves marked with GPS coordinates and when the curser is put on them it gives the coordinates, so that you can find them later with just a hand held reciever and take care of them before the milling operation starts. Then when you zoom in on them it goes into streets view and you can actually see the manhole or if you can't then it is buried. This will find all metals both ferrous and non-ferrous. I can also tell the depth to 1/4 " of any targets found and then if they are below the depth we are cutting we can go over them or we can do what ever we want with them since we know how many we have and where they are before we get to them. This will also come in handy for all muncipalities as they are trying to map all manholes and valves with GPS coordinates and this is a much easier and faster way of doing it therefore making it much cheaper than GPR. This can be done under traffic so it can be done well before a job starts taking some of the suprises out. I have been looking for a way to do this for more than 30 years and now the technology has caught up to us or we have caught up to the technology I am not sure which has happened but I am glad. Anomalie (Cary) (John M. is this you) If there is any interest, Please let me know.

  192. #192milling_drum2011-04-22 01:29

    HEY!!! How the hell are ya buddy? Ya I'm John M. for sure. When you told me about your GPS capacity I was shocked, that is a great option to have for anyone that does alot of city/municipality cutting. I can't even imagine what it would be like to actually know when iron is buried....specially old railway tracks....hitting those at an angle really makes a mess... I met a friend of yours out here in Portland, he rebuilds drives and gearboxes. Tony probably told you. I'm running serial number 11 PR1050...its getting me lots of hours Are you busy over there yet? thinking of a change? call me!

  193. #193Anomalie2011-04-22 11:38

    Hey there milling_drum, No we are not doing much yet as we just got 8" of snow and the ground is still covered yet. The Frost laws are still on county rds. so it will be a week or so till everything breaks loose. That is why I am glad to have found the sensor deal. It does work better than anything I could have even thought of. If I can show it to a few of the larger contractors and with the homeland security option I should have a good job out of this. I saw here you listed the states you have worked in and I must say you have me beat I have only been in 17. I had a family till last year when my wife passed away. But I am looking to keep going now as I have no reason to stop now. As long as I can I will. See if any of your contacts would be interested in seeing what I have, More later, Anomalie

  194. #194milling_drum2011-04-23 08:14

    Back east in the densely populated areas there is lots of buried iron. I'm sure a number of contractors would be interested in a tool like that....getting to them at this time of the year would be difficult. Everyone is about to get really busy. Have you got a plan for being able to demo the locator?

  195. #195changexlt2011-04-24 21:33

    New transport setup ,and I'm too heavy on the trailer, not enough weight on the truck. Might not get Montana 5 mph conditions.

  196. #196milling_drum2011-04-25 22:05

    I don't understand why you have to have the extra axles? How were they getting by with Reitan's 8ft head W2200 which must be a little bit heavier? Isn't that a 7"2' drum? The asphalt over here isn't too bad at 2 inches deep. As usual some places are really hard and others its blow and go. The first 2 days were rough because this PR1050 hadn't been run in over a year so it has...issues getting back to business. It really isn't that terrible a machine for being a '92 model. No front mouldboard kinda sucks but...Now we are getting murdered by rain and already too far ahead of the paving crew... A Kodiak Pacific PR800-7 blew by us today on a trailer and he didn't have that extra axle setup atall.

  197. #197changexlt2011-04-26 00:52

    Nope it's the 8ft head that Reitan had on his mill, he's got a 12ft head now. Ready to haul weight is like 98,000 lbs. On eight axles couldn't get Montana's 5mph conditions, so we wouldn't need pilot cars. Dan wanted his heavy haul truck back, so they bought a jeep so I could use my truck. This in turn led me to useing the trailer they just bought, since it has the flip neck, but it's also 9ft wide, so it's heavy. Sitting at about 160,000 lbs loaded.

  198. #198jenstarltd2011-05-04 22:47

    Deep cut

  199. #199milling_drum2011-05-06 22:46

    Was that asphalt hard? Looks like a city street. How fast was the machine able to travel in the cut? Were both the engines putting out HP at the same time?

  200. #200Toegrinder2011-05-08 10:29

    Guaranteed both engines were running with that deep of a cut John. You can mill with the single engine, but not more than a couple inches and not a high production rate either.

  201. #201milling_drum2011-05-08 13:33

    Aight I wasn't sure how that setup worked, seems kinda confusing. They told me Zak quit over here and is back in CO. Is he with you guys? Out of 8 people that applied this year with experience, I'm the only one left so it looks. Getting a PDA this week so there will be some pictures too come:O

  202. #202Toegrinder2011-05-08 18:53

    Yeah Kodiak apparently made alot of promises when they hired him and didn't keep a single one. He is back with rocky mtn right now until we get enough work to buy another mill, then he will run that crew.

  203. #203milling_drum2011-05-08 19:13

    That mill just don't look big enough to have two engines. Maybe I've lost touch with reality anyways when it comes to newer mills, seems I haven't run one in awhile. hahaha That sucks about Zak, they sure haven't given me the run around atall, but then we never made any promises to each other either before I came here. They aren't the best but they aren't the worst either.

  204. #204jenstarltd2011-05-10 21:37

    Hay John we were doing 13 inches about 30 ft/min 330mm 10 meters/min and changed a set of bits in a 1/4 mile when the bits got flat we hardly moved good old Canadian Rock and both engines boost together sounds like a turbine engine we love it.

  205. #205UltraClassic2011-05-16 15:28

    Take a look at the accident we had a couple years ago on the Baltimore beltway. This guy never even hit his brakes. He's lucky he hit it square, if he was off to one side it probably would have killed him.

  206. #206Toegrinder2011-05-19 10:45

    Wow, I bet the groundman was crapping his pants knowing he could have been behind the mill. Were you there when it happened? Did it knock the operator down?

  207. #207jenstarltd2011-05-19 21:34

    Nevermind the crash look at that awsome frickin tow truck !!!!!!!

  208. #208Lee-online2011-05-19 21:44

    Thats what i was thinking.

  209. #209milling_drum2011-05-20 00:36

    What kind of teeth are you using? Flat spotting usually happens because the drum wasn't warmed up properly in the morning. Hey, I saw a Kennametal holder that fits type 3 and type 4 Wirtgen drums. They are trying them out here.

  210. #210UltraClassic2011-05-20 12:44

    I was there. Thats me in the yellow hard hat. Luckily he was backing up to make another pass. So no one was near the machine when it happened. The operator did get thrown forward and hurt his back a lil bit.

  211. #211jenstarltd2011-05-20 22:08

    I think we used w6's now we use w7's and I'm not sure of that term flat spotting can you explain further . PS let me know about the Kennametal holders

  212. #212Toegrinder2011-05-20 23:19

    Flat spotting is when the tooth stops rotating and half the tip wears at an angle, leaving a small ridge. I just ran a set of w7's a few days ago, only put 7,000 sy's on them and a quarter of them flat spotted...not cool. So I am going to try a set of the kennametal rz-04's, and then a set of the rx-04 eco's. I'm anxious to see how the eco's do.

  213. #213UltraClassic2011-05-21 09:19

    I noticed with some of the extremely long crabide tipped teeth, like sandvik, W7's, W8's and some of the other kennametal teeth, that they flat spot before you get the full wear on them. I also noticed that having a puller groove seems to make them flat spot because material builds up in one side of the groove and causes them to stop rotating. We have stopped using teeth with puller grooves altogether. We get better wear and having the groove in them actually costs more. I currently have a set of Kennametal RZ07's or 302's, I guess they call em now, that have over 80,000 Sy's @ 2" on them and still going strong. I have had great luck with kennametals RZ06's and RZ07's. I'm interested to know how the eco teeth do, please let us know.

  214. #214milling_drum2011-05-21 19:22

    I gotta stay off this topic considering all parties run Wirtgen drums

  215. #215Toegrinder2011-05-23 20:47

    Will do on the eco's. I quit ordering the teeth with the puller groove as well, I never used the groove and saw no sense in paying more for something I wasn't using. 80,000 sy's on a set??? That's unreal, I would love to have that asphalt over here, I'll be lucky to get 20,000.

  216. #216hardtooth2011-05-26 02:14

    I believe 8020 was the better 800 APP had. But I heard it was highly abused after I left. I blew the engine in 8017 in Denver. That was quite a few agors ago. New here.

  217. #217Aussie Leroy2011-05-26 03:03

    Welcome; hardtooth

  218. #218Toegrinder2011-05-26 23:09

    Hey...who are you?? I took over 8020 from 2001 until the end of 2004 and I took VERY good care of that mill. The guy that took over it when I left for a year laid it over on its side in downtown phoenix...from that day on everything was tweaked and it was never the same since then. I blew the engine on 8017 too in tucson in '04. 8015...what a pile...

  219. #219Toegrinder2011-05-26 23:21

    Ken??

  220. #220hardtooth2011-05-28 00:43

    Yup.

  221. #221hardtooth2011-05-28 00:46

    Yup. Way to go grinding off your foot. I thought I tought you better. Accidents mean paper wprk.

  222. #222Toegrinder2011-05-28 08:07

    I was bored...had to do something to keep it fresh and exciting. Plus we were testing out a new tooth to see if the tooth would rubberize when it comes in contact with skin to prevent injury....it didn't work :-/ I'll put pics up of it when I get back on my puter

  223. #223Toegrinder2011-05-29 13:59

    Broke my third metatarsal (the long bone running down the top of your foot) so they put an 8" pin up my foot into the bone to realign while it healed for a month.

  224. #224qball2011-05-29 18:32

    well, i WAS enjoying my bologna sandwich.:throwup

  225. #225milling_drum2011-05-29 21:03

    Oh man, That looks REALLY....painful.

  226. #226hardtooth2011-05-30 14:08

    All I got to say is..... ouch!!! I am very fortunate that I have never been hospitalized for any work related injury. I have spent some time in the urgent cares but nothing even close to that.

  227. #227Toegrinder2011-05-30 20:24

    They tried to get me to take some time off, especially since it was workmans comp, but I was back on the mill the following Monday(happened on Friday). I'm not one to sit around and take advantage of workmans comp, especially when it's my fault, I won't make someone pay for my ignorance

  228. #228Aussie Leroy2011-05-31 05:02

    Toegrinder; Good work and moral ethics mate, Cheers Leroy

  229. #229changexlt2011-07-03 19:15

    Couple from Marias Pass MT

  230. #230Dert-T2011-07-06 23:46

    Great pics guys, thanks for sharing them. Interested in seeing more of your machines loaded up on lowboys if you've got any....especially you Miller guys ! Thanks again boys

  231. #231changexlt2011-07-13 17:54

    Few more from marias pass.

  232. #232changexlt2011-07-13 17:57

    Three more Marias Pass.

  233. #233changexlt2011-07-13 18:06

    Lolo, MT [video=youtube;cRFUuayRc_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRFUuayRc_4[/video]

  234. #234milling_drum2011-07-13 23:05

    Nice pictures.....did you mill right to the joint at the summit where we were?

  235. #235changexlt2011-07-14 03:59

    yep

  236. #236dirty4fun2011-07-14 06:03

    They shouldn't make you work at night. The country is much to pretty, to not be able to see it. Thanks for the pictures, sure makes me miss that area even more, though.

  237. #237milling_drum2011-07-14 16:35

    If we weren't running junk equipment it would have been a pretty good job up there for us. Kenny was easy to work for and the asphalt was soft....

  238. #238hackinjack2011-07-14 20:00

    what light are them I been looking for area lighting like that online and if someone knows what they are called i would like to know thanks

  239. #239hardtooth2011-07-30 01:02

    Well here is a pick of my hand after putting it in the wrong place at the wrong timr.[/ATTACH]

  240. #240Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 12:46

    wow I havent seen that 1200 for quite awhile, 2001 i think. the 1200 rear load was one of john nesbitts monsters. He converted it to rear load. I ran that machine for few seasons way back when. Sad to see it sitting. It could fill a truck in 33 seconds.

  241. #241Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 12:50

    hey toegrinder your name isnt wheelen is it? I worked for app from 1999-2001 before i moved to las vegas paving

  242. #242Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 13:26

    hey hardtooth, ill be startin with you guys in elko on the 8th of august..small world eh? I know you but u dont know me

  243. #243Toegrinder2011-07-31 13:49

    No, I'm Chris. Who are you? So if you went to LVP you must have worked with Dustin Ford? Depending on how long you were there, he went over in '02. His brother was my first foreman at APP

  244. #244Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 15:12

    this is dustin bro, what up chris..thats right chris an zak right?...I remember the night we spent at the hard rock i blew a grand or two and was throwing up out the side of your toyota driving down the strip at 8 in the am after a night of partying WATS UP BRO im headed up to northern nevada later this week for a recycle job for valentine where you working bro small world eh. hit me up 702-480-6281 i been in loCAL 12 FOR Awhil i moved back to az for a few years it got slow in vegas but its gettin busy again time to make the big bucks again **** this scab **** makin 20 an hour blows.

  245. #245milling_drum2011-07-31 15:33

    Hey Dustin, I think you saw some of those pictures when you were in the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express in Tucson last year around Oct/Nov. I was the boy running the older W2100.... Say Hello too your Pops for me and thank him once again for giving me a ride back to Phoenix please.

  246. #246Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 15:54

    yeah bro, heard you were up workin for kodiak, How do you get around so much bro without a vehicle>>? I have to get a truck to drive to montana or northrn nevada...I just dont see how you do it. ANd i will give a shout to my dad for you..****er owes me 400 bucks lol where you at now?? of course i remember you, you snitched me out for taking the service truck to fix my lincoln..lol anyways looks like your stayin busy, im about one step behind you, i just quit swaine asphalt to go to work for valentine. Good trade off eh? back in loacal 12 makin the big bucks im excited.

  247. #247milling_drum2011-07-31 16:25

    Kodiak flew me to Portland from Texas, I was in the oilfields and had gotten stiffed for over $3200 in pay that week... I never snitched you out for taking the service truck....where did you get that from? I hardly ever talked to Sam while we were out there. Matter of fact the only time I remember you using the service truck was in the parking lot and to fetch a tire one time. Might have been your brothers little pet groundman... Right now I'm on a job right at the oregon/washington state line on I-5, we are working for Granite Northwest. The milling company is called Ortiz and Associates. They are cutting Valentines grass right in their hometown Talked to Billy over at Valentine and he told me to call them, which I did when Kodiak's BS got to be too much and really wasn't interested in working for them. I'm pretty happy where I'm at now for the rest of the season. ***k Swaine, I worked for them for 1 day and that was quite enough. BTW, prevailing up here is around $46 per hour and the union isnt involved, which is fine with me Is local 12 in NV the same as the Cali local 12?

  248. #248milling_drum2011-07-31 16:30

    BTW Dustin, you might enjoy the thread here called "set down" .... I think those are the only pictures I posted from the Tucson days. hahahaha

  249. #249Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 16:33

    yeah its the local out of pasadena. I joined back in 2001 when i quit app the first time and went to mill for las vegas paving. Made a **** ton of money up there, we milled day and night year round. Yeah it was probably that mike kid, i had the pleasure of working with him on I-10, smae ole same ole, he hasnt changed and hasnt learned a thing. still diggin holes, cuttin too litte. I watched himn cut a 7" trench on one side, 3 on the other, when we are supposed to cut 3.5 funy, the operator didnt even notice which amazes me i can feel anything over a 2% grade it just feels awkward up there right? so cheers to you bro good to see your staying busy. I dont see how you get around without a vehicle unless they just hand you a truck like they did at c&s. I have to get a car and head up to northern nevada for a recycle job for valentine. i think prevaling there is 57, but im in the union so it will be more like 43 or something, but ovretime after 8 hours in a day gotta love nevada

  250. #250Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 16:36

    bwhahaaa that was my brain fart i think...unles they worked on the mill over the weekend. I dont remember, they laid me off and kept that mike fool. go figure. just cuz i didnt have a license. clayton is gettin worked like a dog, app has no work, swaine is a scab low ballin kike jew. paid me 24 an hour for some spot on ground work for that non operator ed.. blah blah blah ill be glad to hit the open road again. heres my cell number bro keep in touch man 702-480-6281 aND ill keep posted on here now, glad i found this plac...funny how i figured out who a few of yall are..ive worked with hard tooth, toe grinder and you, and another few i may know too

  251. #251milling_drum2011-07-31 16:42

    Aight be safe.

  252. #252Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 16:52

    you as well bro..let me know how you like it there, i think ill be stayin up in the northwest for awhile, im done with that damn heat...

  253. #253Toegrinder2011-07-31 16:56

    Nah his name is Hank. He is still running ground for me. That was definitely a good time we had in vegas, til you and that piece of **** Dan blamed me for splitting the drum in half on the 1000. I had never been on that machine for all of 5 minutes when that happened. Yet half the bolts in the drum holding the halves together were broke or missing, and there was no coolant in the drum at all. That was the app way, half ass **** together, except a couple people including your brother and Ken

  254. #254Toegrinder2011-07-31 16:59

    That was nothing against you btw

  255. #255Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 17:00

    BWAHAHAHAA I dont remember that..dan was a drugy, wonder what ever happend to him. hank thats RIGHT!!! where you workin at now bro? been milling this whole time? vegas was the ****, best company i ever worked for. always had brand new equipment and made alot of money. I got messed up in the head after I got divorced, but im better now. going back on the road...**** a bitch we dont love them hoes! lol I had a house and a few toys and was makin 100k a year, till she decided life wasnt good enough and took everything i had. i started from sctratch and im just gettin back into the swing of things. mis ya bro hope to see ya on a job site sometime eh?

  256. #256Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 17:02

    dan came to vegas with a new truck, a trailer 40k in the bank. he left with nothing, pulling his 15 foot trailer behind the service truck. gambling degenerate. i forgot about him lol loser douchebag i had to set the 1000 in by myself a lot otf times because he was in the 7 11 gambling on the boulder highway, towards the end of that job we were the only two left working

  257. #257hardtooth2011-07-31 18:28

    I know you Dustpan.

  258. #258Jiujitsustudent2011-07-31 19:18

    whats up ****ger!! Im so excited about coming over to a real company again. I heard youre bossin for these guys since you got the boot at C&S....is pat there too>? Heard that was som major drama up there...heard these are some good guys to work for. I sent my resume in to brian and he called me within a few hours ready to get me on. So im set to go on the recycle on the 8th or 15th i think in elko...kinda wanted to get on with billys crew, but whatever. I need to get a ****in car though to get up ther, I wanted to just fly up and have someone pick me up but i guess everyone has fifth wheels so ill need something to sleep in for awhile till i buy a fifth wheel myself nexty year,..,.whatever, good to be back in the union and not working ..see ya out on the road soon bro. later

  259. #259Toegrinder2011-08-04 23:22

    Here's the link to the facebook page I created for all our milling pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...pages/Western-Milling/189390147774428?sk=wall

  260. #260milling_drum2011-08-04 23:39

    I saw you saved the Nesbitt hardhat....hahaha I saw another all Wirtgen outfit in Utah.....Maverick Paving, see them much on the bids for out there?

  261. #261Toegrinder2011-08-05 08:46

    Yeah i keep meaning to bust out the sandpaper and paint, why the hell i would want to keep advertising them is beyond me :-/ They bid against us on a job in utah, 125,000 sy. We were told they are a new outfit and only had a four foot machine whuch they were going to attempt the job with, which I would haved loved to see. But from what you make it sound like they have more than the 1200?

  262. #262milling_drum2011-08-05 15:35

    The website has a few pictures, I see the 1200 in a few, what could be a 2000 in another and most definetly either a 2100 or a 2200....can tell by the backside of it that it is larger than a 2000.... check it out http://maverickpaving.com

  263. #263willie592011-08-20 19:53

    I've gone back and read a couple pages of this thread. I do declare, this is about the most cursing thread I think I've run across. Dang guys...really? Is all that auto filtered and masked profanity really necessary? :beatsme

  264. #264milling_drum2011-08-21 11:51

    This user hasnt a clue about such things and remains content with all posts regardless of subtext which may contain actions or dialogue that reflect how a person conducts themself within social settings related to these specific topics

  265. #265Blowandgo2011-08-22 14:10

    [/ATTACH]

  266. #266hoosier2011-10-26 16:39

    12ft diamond drum getting ready to be switched with a current micro drum. Company just received 3 diamond drums,2 of the 12ft and 1 of the 6ft variety. From previous experience with the drums they seem to be very practical on tooth savings and man hours versus standard cutters. Dreading the switch out though,hopefully the mechanics end up doing it *** ...doubtful though.

  267. #267hoosier2011-10-29 13:41

    Doing some roto grading in the Carolinas,I was waiting on the worst to happen, but in the end the contractor was happy and we have a new customer we had never worked with before.

  268. #268Toegrinder2011-10-29 15:57

    I bet the tracks lived you for that one :-/

  269. #269hoosier2012-01-24 09:19

    Toegrinder you should have seen the rear sprockets and chains on that machine I wish I would of taken some pics,the worse I have ever seen. I was put on this particular crew for 3 weeks,3 weeks to many at that. The guy over that machine had 10+years milling experience but knew F all about maintenance and not a whole lot about milling. That cut was an add-on/incedental that basically paid for new sprockets and chains.

  270. #270milling_drum2012-01-26 11:47

    My foreman when I was there was 21 years old. hahahaha and he was pretty good for his age believe it or not. The only ones saw over there that knew half a *&^* about milling was Lenny, and Matt. There was this one other fella that is a foreman at that operation your at now who was at The Miller Group way back in the late 90's, I ran his @ss off on accounta they would grease or washdown. I didn't think much of what I saw over there. I liked them in the shop but the crews....well... As Jack C. would say when he was there, "I forgot more about milling then these people will ever know". hahahaha

  271. #271IHateTack2012-07-17 18:19

    Awesome thread

  272. #272IHateTack2012-07-17 18:24

    Will definitely have to get my pictures out of the closet.

  273. #273milling_drum2012-07-24 08:58

    Bring em on tack...the more the merrier.