Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pillar bearing house

mrbb ยท 2015-09-11 13:52

OK was going through some stuff I got from an estate clean out and found this rather large pillar bearing house, I have NO idea what its for or from, BUT has me wondering, as it has NO bolt holes to be bolted down, so I am guessing it was sandwiched between something to hold it in place?? about a 2-3/4 infh bearing would I guess be fitted inside it its like 18 inches long, 9 inches wide and about 8-1/2 inches tall and weighs a good 60 lbs everything on this estate was prior to 1961, as that was the newest machine there a 1961 tractor BUT NO where on the property did I see anything that this would be used on, and I been going to this property a LONG time, and wasn't like things were gone before I got there SO anyone have any idea what its too? thanks , much appreciate the help and IF I am in the wrong section, please just move tread to a correct spot, wasn't wsure where to post this question??

Replies9
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-09-11 15:49

    Going by what looks like wear in the area of where the bolts would normally be drilled I am wondering if it had a holddown clamp of some sore that let it float about a bit. Just a guess.

  2. #2mrbb2015-09-11 16:47

    I gues thats possible, BUT I think this sized bearing/hold had to be attached to something pretty heavy, so I doubt they wanted it to move much and that pic makes them look more recessed than they are, here's a couple more pic's

  3. #3lantraxco2015-09-11 17:07

    Looks like it had set screws holding it down?

  4. #4Belooky2015-09-14 14:52

    Looks almost like an old fifth wheel pivot.

  5. #5mrbb2015-09-14 15:03

    never thought of that, but with the zerk fitting on the bottom, I not too sure that would work?? but never know, I know its from the 50-80's era, and thats about it LOL a wide range I know!

  6. #6GregsHD2015-09-14 15:11

    Looks to me like $2.40 :tong 60# @ .04 per lb

  7. #7lantraxco2015-09-14 16:09

    Looks like a boom foot mount to me. Or a shin biter if you leave it laying around the shop, heh.

  8. #8mrbb2015-09-14 19:39

    HAHA< also looks like a way to make a bad back sore trying to move it around! its off in the scrap pile for now, along with a lot of other un known things, I have these days! Who know's maybe some day it will find a re use project too LOL scrap piles been building over the yrs

  9. #9old-iron-habit2015-09-14 20:40

    After another look I agree that it could be one end of a fifth wheel assembly. The grease zerk would be facing the outside where it would be easy to grease. I would expect it to be bolted down unless it was held in some sort of a slider frame.\