Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pilot pump displacement

TVA · 2020-02-11 23:27

Does anyone know if Kawasaki K3Vs have different displacement pilot gear pumps for equipment manufacturer to pick from? Worked on machine that have pilot pressure problems, isolated pump itself and pressure tested it - works like a champ! Connect back to pilot system and pressure drops like a hammer! Chased leaks and bypasses all day and was able to barely get it up to 420 psi. It works kinda. Than find out pumps are rebuilt/exchange ( but painted grey, suspect certain people from Tupelo was involved). Then find out that whole EPPRV solenoid and block is different style, not what in manual and not what is in parts book. Now knowing that the question burns about pilot pump displacement being too small for more elaborate and branched out system. Does anyone know anything about this? Buying new pilot pump by equipment manufacturer P/N is cost prohibitive.

Replies5
  1. #1TVA2020-02-12 11:40

    Well! I didn’t get the answer from anybody! But here is the answer, be careful when doing exchange, make sure you get right pilot pump. This particular one has two displacements: 10CC and 15CC:

  2. #2excavator2020-02-12 11:59

    Sorry you didn't get any responses, I'm not on here all day so didn't see your post. Good information provided, Thank you.

  3. #3John C.2020-02-12 22:22

    I don't recall seeing a pilot pump like that before. What machine is it installed on?

  4. #4TVA2020-02-12 22:37

    These go on Kawasaki K3V and K5V, just about everyone except Komatsu and Hitachi use them. Cat use them on C series 350 and up. On regular tandems they are on the back of the rear pump.

  5. #5John C.2020-02-13 01:03

    I'll take a look next time I get next to one of those machines. What I recall were all simple gear pumps.