Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pin on vs weld on hydraulic thumb…

jakepedersen ยท 2012-01-29 22:01

Is there really a big difference in using them? The excavator I bought is plumbed but does not have a thumb... I will be putting one on asap. The pin on thumbs are quite a bit more expensive... around $3700 for a Werk Brau one, the excavator has a 30" WB bucket on it. And I see Usa Attachments has a weld on hydraulic thumb for around $1400. I know a pin on thumb will follow the bucket and maintain the relationship of the thumb tines to the bucket tip... but does that make it that much more useful? I am leaning towards the pin on at the moment as that is the only kind I have every used... and very little at that. This will be on a Komatsu PC78MR-6 (18k lbs machine). I would like to add a mechanical coupler as well... but I am not sure I want to drop another $2k on it at this time... but I know that will make a difference in what length of thumb I get.

Replies7
  1. #1Boiled Owl2012-01-29 22:17

    My neighbor has a saying what are you going to buy next? Meaning get what you want. Buy once/cry once. I'd put the best one on I could afford. I really hate kicking myself in the ass. I'm looking for a machine now with a progressive link thumb and a coupler. It will definitely make life easier.

  2. #2jakepedersen2012-01-29 22:34

    Yeah I had a hard enough time deciding what size machine to get! I just don't have enough experience with these things to know. And I really don't know who makes the best products... Werk Brau seems to be good and popular in this area. There are lots of them around! My neighbour just bought a Central Fab hydraulic thumb, coupler, and 48" bucket for his Deere 200. I think he had the dealer install it and should be getting it back real soon. I should look at it I suppose!

  3. #3Boiled Owl2012-01-29 22:56

    My only real experience was with a pin on thumb on a bobcat mini. Had a lot of fun with that. When I bought the 320 I was going to put a mechanical thumb on it right away but decided not to as what I was doing didn't lend itself to having a thumb stuck out there/ or not. I ran it for a 1.5 years and decided I needed to do something. So I priced plumbing and a progressive thumb and decided it would be more logical to find a machine equipped that way already. So I'm shopping now! I'm just another dumbass farmer who wants to do everything himself!

  4. #4jakepedersen2012-01-29 23:09

    You and me both!

  5. #5dozer122162013-03-19 21:22

    Thumb adventures I may be in that category also. After several $20,000.00 offers, I went looking harder. Found a custom built (Excavating Solutions inc) pin hydraulic thumb for 3200. He is mating to my bucket and providing most of welding. finally got offer for pedal control for 1650 through John Deere dealer and made by HCT in Georgia. Only to find that need 2 relief valves for 567.00 each. No apology for not knowing. Guess would realy get surpirse if they did it for 20,000. Anyway down to the plumbing from valves to boom and arm. After $3,000 plus offers went looking for hose and clamps to complete installation. Looks like buy 100 foot of hose, reusable fittings and some brackets will complete the job, maybe. Who knows what surprises await me. since bought EX270LC for 11,000, maybe will still have a bargain. It hard to stop a dumb farmer I guess.

  6. #6dov2016-06-11 11:08

    Hello. I have some problem in my pc78mr-6 Whan i close the bucket or open it . It stop the diesel engine. Did some one know what it can by.

  7. #7dov2016-06-11 11:22

    Hello. I have some problem in my pc78mr-6 Whan i close the bucket or open it . It stop the diesel engine. Did some one know what it can by.