Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pine tree stump removal

5659 ยท 2013-11-21 19:44

Need to clear approx. 12 acres that have pine tree stumps on it. Some are soft at top and simply break apart upon kicking or mowed over. Others are still firm. Previous owner will disk up 5 acres to pastor ready for 2,000 dollars. The equipment should produce a cut down of the stumps 6 to 8 inches. The disked up will then fill in the voids of the tree rows. Should take two days? I thought about renting/using a Deere 650, with just flat blade on front to take out stumps completely or to the level they simply break off. 2,189 dollars for a week rental, insurance, delivery and pick up. Am I creating a monster with my idea? I know I will have to deal with stumps that come out and then level where I can. I have direct knowledge of running machine, but thought it would be somewhat easy after a day of trial in error. Just want to make sure the application of the dozer makes sense. Thank you.

Replies7
  1. #1stumpjumper832013-11-21 19:58

    that's a pretty good plan, do they offer a root rake for the machine?

  2. #256592013-11-21 20:02

    I asked and they can't put one on it. It would be from Hertz. I thought about asking for an attachment for the back of dozer which act as a rake.

  3. #3wilko2013-11-21 22:29

    How big are these stumps?

  4. #456592013-11-22 04:24

    Will need to measure to give you a detailed answer, but eyeballing them I would say 5 to 6 inches.

  5. #5southernman132013-11-22 05:25

    You should be fine with that machine. I own a komatsu D31P and it'll get em out. I have a root rake on mine but the blade will grub em out just fine. What area of Florida you in

  6. #656592013-11-24 13:41

    Thanks for the reply. We will be in Nassau County, just above Jacksonville. Do you also think there is the possibility of the blade reaching deep enough that it could just break off the stump at a certain distance below the turf? I would love for that to happen, that way, less clean up. I guessing.

  7. #7southernman132013-11-24 17:16

    Stumps It's hard to say depends on how rotten they are. Personally I like for the whole stump to come out. They're easier to deal with that way to me. When they break up you get pieces or stumps and some of it may still be sticking out of the ground. I like to get deep enough to get it all. That way you don't have a mess to deal with. Good luck. Let me know if I can help