Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pinion shaft install?

Fordman ยท 2015-08-13 19:22

So tommrow Im gonna start putting the rear end together. The first time I ended up not being able to turn the shaft(too much pressure on bearings). I finally found another nut, and are gonna try more shims. The thing I dont understand is I dont know how far the pinion needs to be out. The manual just says install bearing on shaft and torque to 200 ft lbs. Has anyone done a ring and pinion like this? do you have any advice setting this up? I'm afraid something isnt gonna be right and will end up doing it again. thanks guys. its on a 350B case

Replies2
  1. #1grandpa2015-08-13 22:28

    You need to put some type of contact grease between the ring gear and pinion so you can see where the run together. This will tell you what depth you need to properly set the pinion into the ring gear. Most parts stores sell Prussian Blue as a good contact grease. Then when with the proper shims are in place and your gear tooth pattern is proper you can then torque your bearing preload. Disregard this post your setting up some other type differential. Sorry.

  2. #2zbo22015-08-13 23:11

    that picture is very hard to see to read... needs to be a little bigger. On my IH dozer there is a nut on the pinion shaft with shims to get the correct preload on the pinion bearing and then there are shims under the bearing retainer that attaches the pinion to the case to get the pinion depth correct...you measure from the face of the pinion to a flat spot on the bevel gear hub and subtract that from the measurement that is etched on the face of the pinion to get the correct shim pack.I'm sure there must be a section in the service manual for yours that gives you some similar procedure.