Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pins

chase546 ยท 2013-11-15 19:14

Are the pivot pins made from cold rolled steel or are they hardened?

Replies7
  1. #1Dickjr.2013-11-15 19:51

    Hardend real hard typically they will outlast 2 to 3 sets of bushings.

  2. #2chase5462013-11-15 21:31

    Thats what I was afraid of.

  3. #3rust farmer2013-11-16 07:13

    Hey Chase546, When ever I want to know if a piece of material is heat treated, I try to cut it with a file. That will usually give you an indication if the piece has been hardened.

  4. #4chase5462013-11-16 17:50

    They file easily and mushroom quite easy as well.

  5. #5Delmer2013-11-16 19:49

    What kind of machine are you talking about and are they original pins?

  6. #6chase5462013-11-16 19:58

    1966 Case 580ck. I have no way to tell if they are or not.

  7. #7oceanobob2013-11-16 20:44

    Many pins that we have researched are made of normalized cr mo like 4130....much stronger than cold roll, wears well, hardness good, can be machined, etc. Should be readily available.