Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pintle hitch height

Wes(MI) ยท 2017-09-24 08:36

I've got a 1979 Ford F700 & a 9 ton equipment trailer. I plan on hauling my D4-7U on this setup (dozer is about 8 ton). The trailer sitting level has the lunette eye at about 24" ground to center, unloaded. What height should the pintle be mounted at? I just don't want to drill a bunch of holes close to each other, because I messed up. Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1farmerlund2017-09-24 10:52

    spring or air ride on the truck? Air ride will not really change height much. Does your trailer have adjustable hitch? Mine has 3-4 sets of holes to move it up and down.

  2. #2Wes(MI)2017-09-24 11:00

    Springs. Trailer does have adjustments, it's at the highest setting right now. I'm thinking the pintle should be mounted an inch or two higher than the lunette, but I want to make sure.

  3. #3farmerlund2017-09-24 11:26

    I would maybe go a little higher. Is it a dump truck? Plan on hauling a load while towing the trailer? If you set it 3-4 inches higher with the trailer hitch in the middle of the adjustment than you can fine tune it up and down with out having to move pintle.

  4. #4Wes(MI)2017-09-24 11:44

    Dump truck, no intention of hauling a load while trailer & equipment loaded. Here's a pic of the truck & (unfinished) trailer.