Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pioneering mountain roads in the high desert

Earthworx_grading · 2019-04-14 10:21

One of the coolest jobs I have ever done. I am doing this work for the company I work for not my grading company. We have a D9 with double rippers along side a pc490 w/ 12k hammer. Behind the big iron is a 772gp grader and D6 with 6 way blade. We have roughly 70 drill pads with sumps and 10 miles of new road to cut while maintaining the endless miles of existing roads. This is a nice break from the sometimes repetitive residential grading and paving work we typically preform. We started with an 8 until the 9 was ready for delivery. And a smaller hoe with 8k hammer. I haven’t had a chance to get pics of the 9 and 12k hammer working but I will this coming week. We are starting to get into the big mountain passes. Also pictured is my German shorthair gundog at work with me in the grader.

Replies8
  1. #1cuttin edge2019-04-14 11:16

    Is the dog learning anything about grading?

  2. #2Earthworx_grading2019-04-14 11:36

    Only that his dad isn’t as good as he said he was

  3. #3cuttin edge2019-04-14 11:45

    We're all great operators on line

  4. #4CM19952019-04-14 18:51

    I about spit an adult beverage on my laptop screen! Great looking work set in a landscape that might as well be Mars for me.

  5. #5Nige2019-04-15 13:01

    I can imagine it would be fun working away on your own with nobody to bother you. "High Desert"..? Just how high exactly..? Hmm, we'll also have to agree to disagree on the word desert. I can see stuff growing.

  6. #6td25c2019-04-15 20:17

    Chihuahuan Desert area ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chihuahuan_Desert

  7. #7td25c2019-04-15 20:25

    Any place with landscape & climate that won't support growth of corn & soybeans I consider desert .

  8. #8pp13bnos2019-04-17 09:47

    If there was time available, I'd swing a metal detector through the area you've worked. Wouldn't be surprised if you found a nugget to two. The guy I bought my business from, moved down to the Maricopa area, and does a little gold mining. Always surprises me what he finds.