Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pipe/Plumbing expert advise needed

Palmer78 ยท 2013-06-05 00:57

I was asked to provide a quote to install a waterline that will be fed from a well and tie into an existing water line. My trouble is that the existing water line is supposedly a 6 inch concrete pipe. The new line that I would install will be either 2 or 3 inch SCH 40 PVC. Does anyone know how to properly tie the PVC into the concrete pipe so the connection can withstand the pressure from the well? I don't have any details about the well, but I was told that it supplies water to several houses and businesses including a fire hydrant, so apparently this thing can pump some serious water.

Replies7
  1. #1JBGASH2013-06-05 07:42

    I would think it is transite or something similar instead of concrete. Expose the line you need to tie in to, measure the circ. and go to your local suppier with the info They willl be able to get you the transition fittings or possibly a tapping saddle to connect the pvc with..

  2. #2Tinkerer2013-06-05 13:33

    JBGASH has your question answered. My reply is not pipe related, but job related. I would be surprised if you are not required to have licensed plumber on the job. A back-flow preventer may be required in the new line from the well. I am no pipefitting or plumbing expert, but I have worked on a few of sewer and water projects

  3. #3Palmer782013-06-05 17:08

    Thanks for the replies. I used the wrong wording. I wouldn't excactly be tying into the concrete pipe. I would cut the concrete pipe and remove a couple feet of it, attach the PVC pipe to one end, and cap the other end of the concrete pipe. I talked to a local supplier and he suggested using a Dresser Coupling.

  4. #4FSERVICE2013-06-05 21:44

    That would be the best way (with the dresser coupling) EJP supply is who my company uses around here for parts like that. they also have a engeneering dept to help with the tough jobs/custom stuff..

  5. #5jw32013-06-13 14:57

    I am a master plumber. With out a doubt, you will need a RPZ( backflow preventor) with annual testing at the very least. I don't recommend, and many townships won't allow it. I suggest you contact a plumber, utility contractor, or a town inspector for more info. Please get informed before doing this work.

  6. #6BlazinSS9342013-06-14 19:41

    Are you sure that it is 6" cement pipe? It might be cement lined ductile iron pipe. You can either cut it and install a 6" resilient wedge valve and then reduce down to 4". Dunno what your local code says about putting PVC in the ground for domestic water service. Also why would you need that much water flow? What is this water service supplying? You can also use a tapping saddle on the existing main but that won't give you the ability to shut off water quickly.

  7. #7Steve Works2013-08-15 13:44

    I'd also say it's a 6 inch cement pipe. The iron pipe is a possibility but it's not as likely. __________________________________ Steve Works plumbing