Let's see some pictures of you guys at work laying pipe/utilities with excavators. And some dozerbackfill possibly! -Michael-
It's not much, but this counts as pipe laying. Laid down 100 feet of 36" pipe today. we will haul the dirt in tomorrow to backfill around the pipe. I think we figured on about 350 yards.
Laying some 42" RCCP waterline.
in the second pic i'm the handsome guy on the left... lol
oh yeah and in the first pic, it's like -40 degrees outside... thats a PITA to work when its cold like that... the 345B in the pic blew a motor starting when it was that cold...
oh you have to love that winnipeg black dirt that sticks to everything and i mean everything. LOL thansk
king of obsolete, if you want to get your tracks all plugged up you should come down here and help us out on the floodway with your old school iron... it would look right at home on some of hughie munro's jobs... It's incredible that some of those old D8s and scrapers actually dug the original floodway... still workin today... finishing the job they started in 1962... i like the old iron as well... i work with a brand new cat 140H everyday at work... not just any 140H, fully equipped with a GPS/laser augmented machine control system... on the weekends i'm running a cat 12 grader for my dad that was built before WWII the old knuckle buster is relaxing... no electronic anything... nothing to setup every morning...
heres a few..
a few more
Rollover Pete - Is that ADS that you are laying so deep?
It is.... Thats why everything gets covered with slurry.
you don't use mono-bases, precast inverts, and boots on your manholes?
You guys work when its that cold? Was it an emergency job or a regular job?
Nice pics yall, Bolan, are the photos with the HUGE trench for gas main. Northern Natural was installing some 36" gas main near home last year and had a trench dug about that wide. They laid a few miles of it in, purpose was to replace an older section of line, and using the 36" would also act as underground storage(bigger pipe more storage). Just curious. Trbo
pretty much regular... if we're ahead of schedule and theres not much work to do or something... we shut down at around -35C and +35C... but we aren't ahead of schedule very often! and we've worked in much colder, and much warmer.. here's some more pics...
How do you guys even get equipment started? use block heaters? I know a mechanic I hired worked up in Northern Maine the coldest winter in like 100 years or something and they had problems keeping the hydraulic oil from freezing. They ended up building a shelter over the crane and putting heaters in to keep the machine warm.
block heaters are a must!! When it's that cold you can only start a machine if you absolutely have to... Or run it 24 hours a day and park it indoors when not in use like we do sometimes with our loaders and graders on snow removal... There was a company around these parts that used to plumb hydraulic quick couplers into the cooling systems of their loaders... and the foreman's trucks as well... the foreman drives his truck from his home to the company's yard/jobsite, and then connects his truck's cooling system together with the cooling system of the loader, which gets the cold engine of the loader up to operating temperature while the foreman sips on his coffee and has a smoke in his truck...
I'm not familiar with any of that terminology, are you talking about manholes with bells/rubbers cast into them for butting PVC pipe into?
That's pretty slick right there.
in case you were wondering how all the concrete pipe connects in the second pic of my last post with pictures... (lol dont worry, it looks like a mess in the pictures but it turned out nice.)
A lot of loggers do that up here. I tarp my skidder at night, then put a salamander on the engine in the AM. When the snow starts to melt on the hood she'll start. What fun!
yea i've heard of doing that, in reference to hooking the foremans pickup up to the cooling system on the machine. I;ve had a few times I had to leave equipment running 24/7 so we could do a job. I left a mechanic there to make sure nothing broke down. How much can you get done when its that cold? The laborers must hate it.
A lot of our winter work can be done inside of hoarding when it's that cold... If we're lucky. Sometimes we lay pipe, sometimes we get lucky and build structures in the winter like gate chambers, forced main pump stations... I got pneumonia working in the cold a couple winters ago... My cousin got it bad last winter layin pipe in the cold, apparently he had it like 5 times? Most of the time the problem is that you get too warm shovelling or something else physical and get soaking wet in sweat... then theres nothing to do for a while and you become a human popsicle...
In Bolan's first post #11 whats attached to the teeth of that hoe?
Man, hadn't ever heard of anyone else doing that, figured there was though. The winter months were bout the only time we had time to crush Ag Lime and dealing with the frezzing temps each morning. Had two trucks with the quick couplers on as well as on the crushing plant, the old shovel and the dozer and loader. Worked very well, but when you were in your warm truck and the freezing cold water from the machine engine started going through it sure got cold again. Not only a slick way to warm machines up but a safer and easier way other than starting fluid or other means. Trbo
Intresting pics, thanks for posting. I take it you have some preshaped former inside the pipe, then steel mesh and concrete over the lot? I think it is a bit of cutting edge over the middle teeth to give a smooth bottom to the trench. Saves rubbing it with the back of the bucket, quicker, and less wear. Also leaves the outer teeth free to do thier business when digging.
Up here in the north we use propane hockey stick heaters that work very well to keep the engine nice and warm!
heaters My TerexAtlas 1705M rubber duck has a programmable night heater I can set it up to come on for a max of 2hrs at a time, and I can do that 3 times in any 24hrs. I usually have it come on 90mins before start up and when I turn ignition on it has the water up to around 60c. I was told the machine was originally going to Sweden good result for me as its not putting hours on the clock warming up in the morning :drinkup
YoungOne, These are not my pictures, just ones off the net I thought you might like. Hopefully I can post some of Rainwater Const.'s pictures in the near future. ZAXIS
i just love the first pic with all of those deere in the forest...any more of it please?Were do you found it?
epuipment fan, I found the ones with the "three deeres in the forest" on flickr-there may be more on that persons site there. I just searched for "excavator" and got about 2400 pictures that came up. (Yes I did look at them all). ZAXIS
ok thanks,i will go search!:usa