Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Places to get 315 cat muffler

Pete1468 ยท 2019-03-06 09:46

I need a muffler for my cat 315L excavator. I really didn't want to spend the $400 something for the cat one. Is there a cheaper aftermarket one that I can't find? I looked on eBay but didn't see the style I need.

Replies19
  1. #1Nige2019-03-06 09:51

    What's the Cat Part Number for the muffler you need..?

  2. #2kshansen2019-03-06 09:57

    No idea what yours looks like but have you looked at a Donadson Exhaust Catalog? https://www.donaldson.com/content/d...America/F110028-ENG/Exhaust-Product-Guide.pdf And like Nige asked: What's the Cat Part Number for the muffler you need..? Or how about a S/N ? I took a look on SIS and way too many to try guessing!

  3. #3Pete14682019-03-06 10:31

    I don't have a cat part number, I couldn't hear right after the dollar amount. It's a 315L 6ym serial number.

  4. #4John C.2019-03-06 11:04

    You can fix those things now days. I've cut them apart, fixed the baffling inside them, welded them back together and welded patches over holes. It isn't likely that you will find some aftermarket item to fit the space and attach to the original piping connections to the turbo charger. If you do find something let us know what you did.

  5. #5Pete14682019-03-06 11:13

    I thought about patching it but it's so rusted the top elbow fell off and it's been leaking on the bottom for a year. Without taking it off I don't think there's enough to weld to.

  6. #6John C.2019-03-06 11:33

    Fair enough. That's an older machine, maybe someone knows of a company that sells used parts. Really though, $400 or so is about what any excavator muffler of that size would cost.

  7. #7Nige2019-03-06 11:53

    It'll be this one then. 5I-8155 is the Part Number, replaced by 287-0206 @ $432. Agree with John that $400-ish is not unreasonable for that muffler. No idea where you would even try to find a non-OEM one.

  8. #8Ct Farmer2019-03-06 16:37

    Try Auto-jet muffler in Clive just west of Des Moines, they are also United muffler in Ontario. They do a lot of aftermarket and custom heavy equipment mufflers. Lots of Cat in the catalog. Had them do a custom for my Volvo 10" dia x 32" long with 5" ports. Cost was just over $400 with shipping. Very heavy duty and well worth the price, especially since Volvo can't supply it. Really tames the noise. They are easy to work with. Sent them a CAD drawing and engine specs, they adjusted to fit their capabilities and 6 days later it was on my doorstep. I did order with no mounting brackets and welded on my old salvaged ones.

  9. #9heymccall2019-03-06 19:44

    I used CTP for the mufflers on my 314C and 320D. You just have to watch because on my 2 machines, the updated muffler had a different size inlet, requiring a new turbo to muffler pipe and clamp. Same goes for if I had bought a genuine Cat muffler. BTW, $400 is cheap for Cat. One of mine was over a $1000 from Cat.

  10. #10kshansen2019-03-06 19:50

    $190+$50 shipping is not a bad deal if it is a well made muffler. If it lasts half as long as original still not bad price.

  11. #11heymccall2019-03-06 20:01

    They appear to be very well made. I paid $400 for my 320DLRR muffler (including shipping) from CTP. Above is Cat pricing for replacement on my 320DLRR. So, yeah, $400 from Cat doesn't sound bad.

  12. #12Pete14682019-03-06 23:17

    I found the one on Amazon this afternoon. Might go that route. I've been watching pennies very close as I'm wanting to put up a heated shop.

  13. #13Nige2019-03-07 09:58

    I dunno about you, but I would spend my money on a machine (if it needed it) in a heartbeat before even thinking about a shop. YMMV.

  14. #14Pete14682019-03-07 10:06

    I've worked in an unheated shop all my life except for my full time job and at 44 it's time for a heated shop. I own 2 businesses and farm along with a full time job. Iowa winter's make it so I don't want to work at night in the winter anymore. I started out as a mechanic and now run equipment for my full time job. It's hard to work on things when it doesn't get above freezing and you're working with a trouble light. The space heater either you're cooking or freezing.

  15. #15bam19682019-03-07 11:19

    I feel your pain Pete 1468. I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm wanting/ needing to build a bigger insulated shop. One of these days I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do it.

  16. #16Pete14682019-03-07 11:26

    I could put up a small one but I need to get the semi and trailer in there to work on and the brakes always seem to freeze when I need to haul corn in the winter. Nothing ever goes right when it's 0 out and you have only so much time to do something. The worst is when it rains and then freeses the detach trailer always freezes the downhill side brakes.

  17. #17bam19682019-03-07 11:33

    I know exactly what you mean...... We only have room for one machine at a time. I was working on a dozer in ours until a rear end went out of a dump truck. So, hurry up and put the dozer back together just enough to get it out so I could get the dump truck in. PITA

  18. #18Pete14682019-03-17 17:04

    Got a muffler off Amazon for $249 including shipping. Set it in today everything lines up real nice. I'm waiting on a clamp between turbo and muffler and I'll be done.

  19. #19Dgreen42982019-03-20 12:44

    Irondt.com