Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Plannin on purchasing my first backhoe

hougie ยท 2011-01-01 22:02

Hi gentlmen and ladies if's there's any. I'm looking at buying my first backhoe which i hope to eventually years down the road replace my full time job. I'm looking to spend around the 20-27 mark. I like cats, run cat loaders at work and there superb but that's not to say i wouldn't but any other brand. would like two stick since i don't know if i can get pilot for that price. What are 4 sticks like to operate. Any particular models better then others? Thanx for the help

Replies9
  1. #1nilzlofgren2011-01-02 15:23

    Hello, I am a big fan of Case, but any of the big three ( Cat, Case, John Deere) are good machines, as well as JCB. I have a 580K, that hasn't given me any real trouble in 13 years now. I like Case, because of things like the over center backhoe design. Also the Extendahoe is designed so the stick itself extends out, as opposed to a separate section telescoping from inside the stick. Indecently, this has been incorporated into Cats new design. I like having two dump cylinders and their linkages on the loader arms, it gives me a clear view. And, starting with the 580K, Case has incorporated a quick coupler into the backhoe. You only have to pull one pin. I can change a bucket in about two minutes. Plus, there are so many Case 580 series backhoes on the planet, parts are everywhere, even NAPA. As far as four sticks, three sticks, or two, that's just preference. Four sticks are mostly all in your fingers. Three sticks are fingers and feet working together, and two are self explanatory, and the best setup in my opinion. As far as one model over another, I can't speak for Cat, John Deere, or JCB, But Cases' 580E seems to have the best reliability record, but as I said earlier, I have no complaints what so ever about my 580K. I sure others will weigh in on Cat, John Deere, and JCB.

  2. #2cat9802011-01-02 17:50

    i got a case 580E that thing has never given me a problem never let me down on a job or anything iam, sure you probly want something a little newer i like case for the loader backhoes so i would try to stick with them if I were you.

  3. #3frogfarmer2011-01-02 18:08

    Well put me down for Case as well I have had Ford, Massey, and Deere hoes over the years and I like my Case the best. I also like the 2 stick setup but I learned on a 4 stick and you never forget your first. You should be able to find pilots in your price range but for a starter machine I would look at the older units with excellent track records (Case for example). I have run Cat hoes but never owned one they also are a solid machine. Your local dealer will likely play a big part in your final decision as they will be the ones you see for service and advise.

  4. #4andoman2011-01-02 18:40

    I've owned everything and most of our equipment is currently cat but we picked up a few pieces of deere dozers a few years ago and we haven't had any problems with them. We've been kicking around buying a deere backhoe because of the experience with the dozers, but a great deal of it depends on the service you can get where you live.

  5. #5stumpjumper832011-01-02 19:59

    In my opinion cat entered the backhoe & skidsteer game just so they had everything under one brand. The backhoe is case's bread and butter. That being said, at the age machine your looking at prior care and maintence is going to mean alot more than brand when among the major players. When your looking, don't be afraid to test out a New holland, they make a very powerful 4 wheel steer unit (lb115) that is impressive to say the least.

  6. #6pwrstroke6john2011-01-02 21:16

    Another brand to take a look at for your price range is terex(fermec before 02). They are not the top of the line machines out there like jcb, deere, cat, or case but they will get the job done. We have a 2001 fermec 760 loaded out with heat and air with no problems.

  7. #7Auctioneerhere2011-01-03 00:13

    I have an 05 Terex 760B 4 wd w/ cab, Ehoe, less than 2000 hours and it has been pretty decent so far. It is a pretty good working machine. Best part it was $18k on a dealers lot when I bought it. It seems to work fine to me. The funny thing is the hoe has yellow paint under the top color coat on the cab, hood.

  8. #8pwrstroke6john2011-01-03 02:17

    Being an 05 its hard to believe but, but maybe they still had parts built when they were fermec's and yellow. Our 01 is yellow and says fermec but other then that its identical to the terexs today.

  9. #9hougie2011-01-03 11:02

    Thank you guys for your input, i've been searching but there doesn't seem to be very many for sale in my neck of the woods. Not in my price range atleast.