Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Plasma Cutter

Nige ยท 2012-01-12 14:29

We use a Miller Spectrum 1251 plasma cutter in our welding shop. Excellent tool that cuts up to 1-1/4" plate as standard and up to almost 2" plate if you're careful. We use it a lot to cut T-1 and chrome carbide overlay wear plate. We decided we have so much work for the one machine that we would buy another but, guess what, Miller discontinued it and the largest machine they sell now is only capable of working up to 7/8". Anyone have any suggestions for a different brand of plasma cutter that would handle our plate thickness requirements ..?

Replies6
  1. #1TOM V2012-01-12 15:41

    Nige, I have used Hypertherm plasma cutters for 15 years or so and I'm on my second one. The Powermax 1650 wiil cut to 1 1/4" or the Max 200 cuts to 2". Good luck.

  2. #2Dualie2012-01-12 22:39

    I have a couple of esab plasmas that are pretty damn decent, but if i was shelling out coin for a brand new one it would be for a Hypertherm.

  3. #3Oregon logger2012-01-13 00:38

    Hypertherm, then thermal dynamics

  4. #4Nige2012-01-13 06:47

    Thanks for the votes of confidence. Looks like we're in the market for a Hypertherm plasma cutter.

  5. #5smittysrepair2012-01-13 11:12

    You can not go wrong with a Hypertherm. I bought a small one for 1/2'' and less material and I love it.

  6. #6NH tec2012-01-13 16:46

    Hypertherm !!! Excellant product.Had mine for yrs. and still going strong.Consumables are pricey but all brands are.