Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Plastic Wear Plate?

William J ยท 2009-07-31 11:27

Hello All, I stumbled accross this website while doing a google search, lots of great information!! My question is what is the name of the plastic that is used as wear plating on heavy equipment? I have a 1992 416 CAT and the extendahoe has this attached to the inside of the stick. A piece of it has cracked and I would like to replace it. Furthermore, the machine has about 4300 hrs on it and I would like to "snug" the extendahoe up a bit, as it is pretty sloppy.... The factory wear bars are brazed on the inside of the stick, but the previous owner must have added the plastic... Does anyone know where you can buy this online? thanks alot, William J

Replies9
  1. #1Kgmz2009-07-31 11:51

    If you have a local plastics supplier, check with them that way you can get it cut to exact size and not have to pay for any waste. Just search for HDPE plastic sheet or UHMW PE which is the hardest sheet you can get.

  2. #2William J2009-07-31 12:18

    Thanks for the reply Kgmz!

  3. #3willie592009-07-31 20:18

    I agree with Kgmz, most wear pads applications can use UHMW. It's a white colored plastic. Although, some applications require a greater strength to resist shock loads, like your extendahoe boom and the pressure exerted by digging. In this application, you might want to consider Nylon 6/6 sheet to make your wear pads, it's usually black or dark gray in color. It has a higher strength than UHMW but might cost you a few bucks more.

  4. #4Speedpup2009-07-31 23:15

    is that like delrin?

  5. #5willie592009-07-31 23:40

    If I remember right, I think Delrin is a little tougher. Nylon and Delrin are related as Acetals, but they are different polymers. Also, Nylon is a polymer made by a number of mfg's, Delrin is a trademarked polymer produced by DuPont. I could be wrong...that's the best I remember it.

  6. #6Speedpup2009-08-01 01:46

    Thanks:drinkup

  7. #7wolf442009-08-01 08:27

    Nylon is a lot less brittle than delrin, delrin is more machinable than nylon. UHMW is more wear resistant than nylon and a lot cheaper. uhmw comes in several colors white, black, green, and repro which is recycled and could be any mix of colors.

  8. #8qkoop2009-08-01 15:58

    I had to buy some awhile back, and it is hockey arena board.Comes in 4x8x 1/8 thick sheets.Building supply should be able to get it.

  9. #9willie592009-08-01 20:52

    There ya go speedpup...choices choices choices. One thing I've noticed about UHMW, mainly the white color, is that sunlight isn't it's friend. Makes it get hard and crack.