Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please explain excavator specs

code54 ยท 2016-06-25 21:04

I am new to excavators and I been looking at a minis and I am not too sure I understand the specs and could use a bit of help? Here is an example of one set: I. Max Cutting Height 15.4 ft in 4700 mm J. Max Loading Height 10.4 ft in 3180 mm K. Max Reach Along Ground 16 ft in 4880 mm L. Max Vertical Wall Digging Depth What is cutting height? The max reach along the ground - dos this mean I could roughly reach out 15' to clean out a ditch (shallow) What is a 2' flat bottom measurement? how is that derived? (some list it some don't) THANKS

Replies5
  1. #1hvy 1ton2016-06-25 22:20

    Never seen max cut height before. Pretty sure reach is measured from the center of the machine. Max Reach will be just past ground level for most machines. 2' flat bottom is the max depth the machine can dig and still make a flat bottom trench for 2'.

  2. #2lumberjack2016-06-25 23:08

    Max cutting height is the bucket's teeth, rolled back, with the booms fully raised. In general, working at the extent of any portion of the "envelope" is awkward and less efficient. All reach dimensions are from the centerline of rotation, height and depth are from the bottom of the level tracks. The blade and tracks will deduct from your usable reach. Working over the side of the tracks gives more reach, but less lifting capacity. On my KX057, I can work over the rear of the tracks for more reach and maneuverability. The weight of the blade behind me gives me nearly the same lift capacity as lifting over the blade. Digging over the grounded blade is more stable, and you can pull harder using the blade as an anchor.

  3. #3Nige2016-06-26 04:25

    Maybe this diagram will help explain it better. It's what's known as the Digging Envelope of the excavator. As lumberjack pointed out a lot of these specifications are theoretical and it would be extremely difficult to actually work the machine right to those measurements. The maximum digging depth for X' of level bottom is always less than the absolute maximum digging depth becase the latter is only possible at one specific point 1 - Maximum Digging Depth 2 - Maximum Reach at Ground Level 3 - Maximum Cutting Height 4 - Maximum Loading Height 6 - Maximum Depth for X' Level Bottom 7 - Maximum Vertical Wall Digging Depth

  4. #4hvy 1ton2016-06-26 16:05

    I guess I've just been ignoring max cut height every time i look at a spec sheet. Had no idea that was standard spec for excavators til this thread. I have selective hearing and reading i guess.

  5. #5code542016-06-27 17:56

    THANKS - that does help a lot! That whole 2' flat bottom thing had me a little lost. Appreciate the help