Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please Help: 1979 Galion Motor grader, will not move

jeremyrust · 2023-07-31 00:13

Hello, new to the forum. I recently bought a 1979 Galion T500 motor grader that seemed a little sluggish driving. Previous owner thought it needed a transmission service (new fluid and filters) to correct issue. Now the grader will not move at all. I removed the filter in the hydraulic fluid tank and the filter behind the fuel tank, but still no go. Any thoughts on what is going on? Could it just be low on transmission fluid? How do I check the fluid level in the torque converter, anyone have any pictures/videos of how to do that?? All the hydros for the blades, wheel tilt, moldboard, etc. work fine. I appreciate anyone's time that could help me. Thanks, Jeremy

Replies6
  1. #1Dave Neubert2023-08-01 11:11

    Should not have a tank for the transmission there should be a dip stick going into the transmission housing also need to fill it at the transmission. Where in NC are you

  2. #2jeremyrust2023-08-05 21:52

    Hey Dave! I’m near Pinehurst in NC. Figured on the torque converter didn’t have any fluid in it. Got it up and running now, but need to find replacement clutch packs. Do you have any resources for Clark transmission parts for this machine. I believe it is a Clark 2420 power shift transmission. Looking for 2nd gear clutch packs. May also need to replace rear main seal…oil is leaking from starter.

  3. #3Dave Neubert2023-08-06 07:23

    Have not built a clark in years so I would look on the internet and see what you can find

  4. #4oarwhat2023-08-06 08:21

    Maybe the bellhousing is wet and should have oil in it. I don't know your machine.

  5. #556wrench2023-08-06 09:52

    If it actually is a wet flywheel housing, the starter needs to be a special, sealed starter but you didn’t specify where from the starter the oil is leaking. Sealed starters have a gasket or O-ring to seal the mount flange(snout) to the flywheel housing

  6. #6OzDozer2023-08-06 09:59

    Here is the information you need for the Galion T500, Clark 2420 transmission. The information below also covers the Clark 3420 transmission and the C-273 torque converter. https://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/GALIONPOWERSHIFTTRANSMISSIONS.pdf