Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please help! :(

cruzido ยท 2015-12-28 00:02

Hi! I am a year1 student in singapore who just started civil engineering.Please don't mind me but i really need help with excavators. So i am given an assignment where i hve to place a concrete precast in a trench dimensions 6km long 0.75 m depth and 1.2m depth worth 5400cbm I am using a mini excavator (cuz industrial area) with 47.93cubm per hr. After including loading and dumping time of the earth etc,I'm coming at abt 2 days to complete the job with 1 excavator and 2 trucks. Is it realistic? Please help. Really appreciate it.

Replies5
  1. #1Cmark2015-12-28 02:17

    If you're assuming you can move 48m/hr, how do you reckon you can move 5400m in two days, even if you work for a solid 48hrs? 5400cubm / 48cubm = 112 hours which = 14 x 8 hour days. Factor in truck positioning times, meal breaks and refuelling/breakdowns and I would say more like 20 days. Note that I'm a mechanic, not a sh1tkicker so I'm sure more informed opinions will be along soon.

  2. #2cruzido2015-12-28 02:39

    Thank you!! I knew i was missing something but just couldnt figure out why.More info will be appreciated

  3. #3CM19952015-12-28 08:35

    Welcome to the Forums Cruzido. CMark already pointed out the time it will take - 112 hours of actual production machine time just digging the ditch. Factor in fueling, breakdowns, etc and then divide by your shift/hours per day to get the days of production. If you have an 8 hour work shift you can count on getting 5-6 production hours out of it. What about the time to prep the trench, lay the pre-cast, backfill and clean-up? How are you going to unload the pre-cast and stage it along the 6KM route? Any bedding requirements and if so what will you use to shuttle it around? Traffic control? Pedestrian barricades? Of course the biggest unknown here is underground utilities, since it's in an industrial area. Existing utilities could throw the whole production estimate out the window very quickly.:cool2

  4. #4cruzido2015-12-28 09:55

    I never took those into account.Thank you!!

  5. #5Bliz2015-12-28 19:44

    Of course the biggest unknown here is underground utilities, since it's in an industrial area. Existing utilities could throw the whole production estimate out the window very quickly. Totally agree. Also, if you have a high water table you're in for more delays and if you're loading trucks with a mini excavator you'll never use the full capacity of the trucks.