Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please Help !?!? Case 450 Dozer Shifting Hard from Low to High gears and back.

Timberking ยท 2014-06-26 12:11

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated !! I'm pulling my hair out on this one. I'v got a case 450 crawler/dozer/loader in great shape. I was running her around the farm this last weekend and out of no where she started shifting hard ( banging into gear) when going from low to high or high to low. Even at idle when I put it into low gear to move forward it has a slight hit when going into gear. I'm an above average wrench turner but am new to the hydraulics world of dozers. Any points in direction for me to look into the matter would be of great help !! On a budget and hoping its not to serious.. Thanks in advance

Replies7
  1. #1FarmWrench2014-06-26 22:23

    I know NOTHING about this machine. But my power shift Case 7120 has accumulators that lose charge and make shifts jarring. It takes more time to clean everything enough to keep me happy, than to unscrew the thing and recharge with nitrogen (900?psi). Didn't charge me last time. $10 first time at Case IH dealer. Take a thumb drive and donuts/gift card/car wash book Shop guys should be able to put a PDF format copy of the repair manual on your drive... shop Foreman will nail you for $XXX+ donuts so don't ask him.

  2. #2Operator41002014-06-27 21:34

    Hey, Off the top of my head, sounds as if your torque converter / transmission pressures are not right. keep us informed, DW

  3. #3Lawless2014-06-28 17:38

    What shifter are you talking about? If its the shifter by your left foot on the floorboard, that is not meant to be shifted unless the dozer is at a dead stop. If your shifting it while moving then stop!

  4. #4Timberking2014-06-29 15:13

    Lawless, I am talking about the actual Steering High/Low shifters. And OPERATOR4100, I just took a quick look at the pump and found two VERY slight seeping holes on the charge pump intake line, in between the intake filter and the charge pump. They are very small but the holes are big enough to seep Hydro fluid. Could this cause a hard/hitting shift ? Maybe sucking air in ?

  5. #5Operator41002014-06-29 17:56

    Hey, Yeah good possibility sucking air, replace that hose, I checked the manual couldn't find anything specific to your problem other than if the pump is sucking air your gauges will operate erractic

  6. #6Timberking2014-08-09 18:17

    operator4100> I have still yet to find out why my 450 loader is shifting hard going into high and low. The trans pressure gauge is '' shaking'' back and forth instead of a steady hold. I would describe it as bouncing or vibrating back and forth. It stays within the green range of gauge but shutters back and forth. I thought it was just the gauge itself. What are your thoughts ?

  7. #7Operator41002014-08-10 20:45

    Hey there Timberking, If your not sucking air anywhere then its possible that you have a pressure regulating valve sticking or a spring that's broken, do you have a manual for your machine? or a parts manual? you can look at parts diagram @ case site or coleman's site. HMMM for some reason that gauge bouncing, your not getting a solid column of oil, just my way of thinking, keep in touch, I"ll be scratching my head, have you checked the filters lately? DW