Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please help i am new to skid steers

austin1984 ยท 2018-02-06 20:27

I am having some serious issues with my 2005 260 and could use some advice. I tapped into one of the unused harness adapters that is behind the guage cluster to hook up a light. When i started the machine and turned the light on it sparked and popped the light but didnt kill the machine. It starts and runs just fine but now the seat belt will not allow me to release the parking brake. I have disconnected the light completely and it still will not do anything. The light on the guage cluster will not shut off for the seat belt. I am at a total loss and know absolulty nothing about wiring. Any help would be appreciated. The machine is a 2005 john deere skid steer.

Replies9
  1. #1Ronsii2018-02-06 20:32

    It would probably help to take some pictures showing how and where you tapped in the the wiring, I have only worked on a couple of jd skids so my expertise on them is very limited.... but I am sure there are other on here that can help.

  2. #2Jonas3022018-02-06 20:50

    Check fuses

  3. #3austin19842018-02-06 22:05

    Ok i cannot load a picture from my phone. The harness has four wires. Black green pink and yellow and is the only unused accessory harness that i can find. Im assuming it was intended for a block heater? The yellow wire was at 12v when the key was on. I check all fuses and they are all ok. I read somewhere else that it could be the hydraulic solenoid. I disconnected the harness clip to the hydro solenoid and it read 0 ohms when i touched both sides of the connector. Could that be the problem?

  4. #4stone3112018-02-07 18:19

    Most park brake solenoids are located under your cab or hopefully you can lift seat to access it. Should be on a small block with a small black accumulator attached close bye.

  5. #5stone3112018-02-07 18:21

    Might wanna check for any relays associated with your park brake. If you find the selenoid pull the plug check for power or lack there of. Chances are ther is a relay blown if there was no fuse problem.

  6. #6austin19842018-02-07 18:29

    Thanks i will lookinto that for sure. I cant lift the cab either because its in my garage and dont have the room to do it. I pulled it inside for a simple light. Guess i dropped the ball there. I called the local dealer and ordered a new seat belt and seat switch. Damn deere is proud of their stuff im finding out. The service tech there said i might have fried the monitor but said to change these first because those are expensive. Thanks for the help

  7. #7austin19842018-02-12 14:14

    Ok i have now replaced the seat belt in this machine. Found out the seat switch had a bad connection. Got that fixed. Now when i sit in the start the machine and click the seat belt the light now shut off for it. The machine still will not come out of park and its in my garage and can not lift the cab. Is there any way to move this machine outside? Im looking for a way to release the hydraulic system so i can drag it outside to get under the cab. Thanks again

  8. #8JS3002018-02-12 18:50

    I would say just hook a chain to it and drag it outside or jack it up and put a small piece of plywood under each tire then drag it out. Skid steers should have a release but I haven't seen one that does.

  9. #9Village Idiot2018-06-30 10:48

    You can release the brakes on the drive motor by using a portapak pump on the hydraulic brake lines. The procedure is in the manual under towing.