Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please Meet My M312

RoadDoc ยท 2012-11-23 00:59

Gentlemen: Allow me to introduce you to Ugly Betty, my mistress....:usa

Replies12
  1. #1nedly052012-11-23 04:38

    Whats ugly about her??? I didn't know you could get a 312 on rubber, thats sweet. Nicely set up with the thumb and swinger!!! How many hours on ol' betty?

  2. #2JBGASH2012-11-23 06:54

    Looks like a nice outfit, will be handy for work along the road areas, I wish we had one just like it. You will really like the thumb. What does it weigh?

  3. #3bigshow2012-11-23 08:39

    We had one a few years ago, very handy compared to our M318. Much more compact as far as C/W, couldn't pick as much but would definitely earn its keep. Hydraulic functions were perfectly fast and was very smooth on rubber. Looks like a well cared for unit, I would not call it ugly at all, I love those machines.

  4. #4RoadDoc2012-11-23 16:20

    Thanks guys. She got the "ugly" from when I bought her. Previous owner had taken this perfect 312 and modified it to ride on top of rail cars unloading track plates, ties, etc. When we found her she had no outriggers, no blade, no bucket or bucket cylinder, four tires and wheels removed and the biggest challenge was the rear axle. The planetaries had been removed as well as the brake lines. The axle shaft was cut and lengthend. A spacer was machined to extend the planetary mounts. This proved very challenging to undo. :Banghead We are out making money right now and I am very pleased with her performance. There is still a lot to do to get it back to perfect but, it is doable. Just going to earn more money to put into it while the season allows. Insurance to start up the business was a bit of a nasty shock. The rates have really shot up since the last time I was an owner. Hoping to stay busy in my own little niche. Don't want to be huge, just busy and profitable. Been hard to feed the three kids the past few years working for others. This is kinda the last resort if you know what I mean. Feels good so far!

  5. #5RoadDoc2012-11-23 16:24

    Under 4000. If memory serves, 3600 and change.

  6. #6RoadDoc2012-11-23 16:29

    Our motto is "Have Hoe....Will Travel." Would love to have the work if you need the help someday! Do love the thumb. Will be ready for the next ice storm for sure. Have not weighed it yet. Somewhere between 35 and 38000 pounds I'd guess. I'll have an answer next time I borrow a lowboy to move it.

  7. #7TrentNz2012-11-24 01:57

    i operated one the same, nice machine even though ive never really liked tyre excavators. i was damn beat as to how why the machine didnt reach the blade for a wee while until i realised you put the 2nd part of the boom down -.-

  8. #8pp13bnos2012-11-24 09:29

    Are those break lights and turn signals on her? That would be so awesome commuting in an excavator, but the 4-6mph would really suck.

  9. #9bigshow2012-11-24 10:34

    They do around 20-25m.p.h.

  10. #10RoadDoc2012-12-09 22:15

    Ugly Betty's First Job Well, here we go!

  11. #11RoadDoc2012-12-09 22:23

    More:

  12. #12RoadDoc2012-12-09 22:27

    More still: