Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Plowing

CAT140H ยท 2010-01-26 20:56

A few pictures after our big snow storm. Had about 1 foot of snow and 50 mile an hour wind for couple days. Also a Sask sun dog.

Replies44
  1. #1Greg2010-01-26 21:22

    Neat photos. Sun dog is great. What have you got the grader? Vee and wing?

  2. #2CAT140H2010-01-26 21:32

    2007 Cat 140H, No plow up front only a wing.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2010-01-26 22:05

    Looks like most of the snow blew off the road

  4. #4TimHay2010-01-27 08:05

    great pictures what part of Sask.

  5. #5ovrszd2010-01-27 08:48

    I enjoy pics, but I expected to see deeper snow coming from a Canadian. Maybe you were just busy pulling levers in those spots and didn't get pics?? Here's what windy snow looks like in Missouri. First is after plowing a path with V-plow, second is after winged back, last is picture of grader and wing.

  6. #6ovrszd2010-01-27 08:51

    Ooppss, for some reason the third pic didn't take, here it is.

  7. #7ovrszd2010-01-27 08:56

    Here's another one to get an idea of how high and far out the wing will reach.

  8. #8CAT140H2010-01-27 21:33

    We don't plow side roads (trails). Also our mower guys do a good job in cutting the grass and it helps to keep the snow from piling up. I've been here for 22 years and haven't carried a plow only a wing. The other grader has a dozer and if I run into trouble he comes and punches a hole for me which is very seldom.

  9. #9CAT140H2010-01-27 21:35

    East Central (West of Yorkton)

  10. #10biggrader2010-01-27 22:34

    Hey ovrszd, looks like some wet sticky snow? How long does the snow stick around? Days,weeks,months, or eternity.lol. We just had a blizzard on Monday. Only had a couple of inches but had 50 mph winds, had some roads with 6 ft drifts across them. Spent 13 hrs tuesday going over them with the truck plow and today ( Wednesday) going out with the grader w/ v-plow and wing to open some roads that i couldn't get with the truck. sick of winter already. :Banghead we still have 2 months of snow left though.

  11. #11Alberta2010-01-27 23:06

    Funny how things are changing.....Here in the great white north, our machine only ran for about a week (scarifying roads because of freezing rain) since mid-november. Glad to see that there is still snow out there. :lmao:canada

  12. #12w2bstoned2010-01-28 21:50

    That double wing looks neat.... I would love to see some up close pics... Does the grader handle that well being so far out from the machine?

  13. #13ovrszd2010-01-29 10:37

    We just missed that last snow, fifty miles North of me they got hit hard, closed Interstate Hwy 35 North of Des Moines which is about 80 miles North of me. We have had snow on the ground since early December. Still have the drifts but flat land has melted off. I'm hoping next week we'll get some warmer weather so I can take the chains off and do some road shaping. My roads got rutted real bad with our meltoff. They'll really suck to plow snow if I don't get them smoothed.

  14. #14ovrszd2010-01-29 10:43

    Here's a link to a thread I posted concerning the wing, has some good closeup pictures. HeavyEquipmentForums The grader handles it very well. Of course that's dependant on how hard packed the snow is. If our snow drifts it's usually because it's light and fluffy. If I get on it quick before a warm sunny day seals it I don't have problems and can stick the wing out as far as I can reach.

  15. #15ovrszd2010-01-29 10:49

    TRAILS!!! Those are our main roads!!! You obviously have elevated roadbeds. I've used my plow three times already this winter. :notworthy Isn't it interesting to see the differences in terrain, equipment, road conditions?? When my township board asks me what we need I always say elevated roadbeds. But that cost serious money. I elevated a mile last year at a total cost of $25,000. We are on a $45,000 annual budget.

  16. #16ovrszd2010-01-29 10:51

    After a windy snow, this is an example of the first thing I see.

  17. #17graderman522010-01-31 17:09

    I would say you need a plow with that snow ovrszd. I was looking at your wing, wouldn't a rear mounted wing work better. When I plowed snow for the county I hated this low roads for the same reason they would plug so badly then with each additional storm they would plug in deeper and harder. With a annual budget of $45,000 you will not get much of a road built, around here at least $85,000 per mile for a good road

  18. #18ovrszd2010-02-01 08:23

    I've never used a rear mounted wing so I can't answer that. Where I have drift problems the roadbed is lower than the surrounding area. That's why there's a problem. In the picture above you can see vegetation sticking out of the snow on each side, so it's probably less than a foot deep out in those fields. In that roadbed the deepest snow is five feet deep. The roadbanks are 3-6 feet high. With the wing I use I have the ability to reach up onto that road bank and pile snow. When I cleared that road I piled the snow over and past the old rows which you can see sticking out of the drifts. Would a rear mounted wing reach out that far and that high?? We don't use this wing because it's necessarily best. We use it because that's what we have. It's a carry over from the old rigid framed CAT 12 we had when I started in 1989. Kind of a use what ya got thing.

  19. #19graderman522010-02-01 23:06

    I see you can really get that wing up high ovrszd, in a rear mount by lifting the front mast you would not get that high, but I think you could push it back just as well.

  20. #20ovrszd2010-02-02 09:32

    Yeah, I was looking at some pictures of a new Deere on another thread here that has a wing on it. Looks like it would have the height. The upside to a frame mounted wing would be durability. The downside would be ease of attachment and removal. When I'm trying to knock a hole thru a deep drift with the V-Plow I don't want the wing on for fear of getting stuck. I think if I had elevated roads like CAT140H the frame mounted wing would definitely be the best and the most durable.

  21. #21D&GExcavating2010-09-20 16:38

    Just a couple pictures of our 140G from just this last winter. We also have a 143H.

  22. #22Grader4me2010-09-20 19:35

    Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing....won't be long and we will be into this again..:Banghead

  23. #23Aussie Leroy2010-09-21 07:28

    Here in oz we don't get to see pictures like that snow ploughing, can we see more pictures or video's of that stuff Cheers Leroy

  24. #24Randy Krieg2010-09-21 09:10

    Winter! G4Me You are right about that. What happen to summer? Been too busy staring at the back of that cutting edge and it passed right by. Seems like we just switched tires last week. Regards, Randy

  25. #25Grader4me2010-09-21 20:53

    Yes, summers seem to fly by so quickly...great pictures!

  26. #26Vantage_TeS2010-09-21 22:20

    Randy: Is that an airstrip?

  27. #27Randy Krieg2010-09-23 00:10

    Grayling Airport Vantage Yes sir that is the new Grayling Airport on the lower Yukon River. That was a two year project. They cleared over 200 acres and moved most of excavation last year. There is no alluvial gravel in Grayling so all the sub base gravel was mined from Eagle Island, which is up river and then barged down to Grayling. Last summer the tug and barge made 186 trips from Eagle Island to Grayling. This year they brought about 38 barge loads of crushed rock for Top Course, which I placed and finished. The runway, taxiway and apron then got sprayed with dust palliative. Neat project in the middle of nowhere! All our food and supplies had to be flown in. Check out the shopping cart at the plane. Regards, Randy

  28. #28sstouder2010-10-02 18:30

    Ah snow Here in Idaho we're still waiting for our 2010 snow. Anyone run a Champion 740A with a snow wing? We just bought one (1987 model) to maintain roads and clear snow on about 15 miles of private road. Any quick suggestions (besides selling it and buying another!).

  29. #29Grader4me2010-10-03 08:10

    Welcome to HEF sstouder! Can you post a few pics of your grader?

  30. #30sstouder2010-10-03 09:16

    Hey Grader4me I'll try to post a photo of a 118 B Galion that we have here on the ranch. We also have a 740A Champion that we just purchased. The old Galion has worked pretty good, but it often is tough to shift between forward and reverse. It seems like it gets "stuck" pretty often. It's a special problem when you're backing up a hill and you want to stop and shift into forward. Sometimes I'd have to jockey it around a lot to get the tranny shifted and it took a long time. It's been a good old grader, but I was afraid the tranny would get stuck for good. So... we bought a new/used grader. So far I really like the champion. Haven't graded or moved snow with it yet tho. And haven't got a photo of it either. I do have a photo of the Galion that I'll try to post here. Never done that so here goes! I've attached the photo as a file. Not sure if that's how it's done or not. How do you attach a photo to this forum?

  31. #31sstouder2010-10-03 09:20

    Another photo of the 118 B I didn't like that previous photo so I'll try another!!

  32. #32Grader4me2010-10-03 09:47

    Looks like you got the hang of posting pictures..lol. I operated an old Galion years ago..wasn't the most favorite grader that I've been in..lol. The old girl looks to be in good shape though.. Your Champion should be a good machine..I've been on a 740 but spent years on a 720 VHP. Good machine...plowed snow with it for many years. I had a wing and plow (one way) on it, and also had a vee plow...for pushing back the high snowbanks. Now that you figured out how to post pics, you can take a few of the Champion if you have a camera.

  33. #33biggrader2010-10-03 13:18

    welcome sstouder, dont get to excited about selling that machine till u get some seat time. If it is decent shape it should work fine for your application. we're still waiting for any snow yet but if it doesnt come until Dec. that would be fine by me. There are many experienced graderguys on here and they will be more than happy to share there wealth of knowledge. Have fun.

  34. #34CAT140H2011-02-17 13:33

    More pictures about plowing snow in Saskatchewan this year. Lot of snow here.

  35. #35CAT140H2011-02-17 13:52

    I'm starting to not like snow.

  36. #3651kw2011-02-20 13:17

    Some pics of winging back a couple weeks ago. Nice to see the old girl earning her keep.

  37. #37dlnimsy2011-02-24 10:50

    Love your photos. I used to own a 1952 cat 12(ser#8t11695) same setup but with a 12ft oneway curl plow on the front. I really enjoyed that machine. Wish i still had her. Theres a video of it with new owner on utube. Look up 1052 cat grader it will come up>

  38. #38plowking7402011-02-24 21:51

    that old cat looks just like the one that i learned on wing and all. its a good machine to learn on good job with the pics. makes me kinda nostalgic

  39. #3951kw2011-02-25 07:50

    Thanks. This one is 8T35?? serial number. Cant remember without looking.

  40. #40CAT140H2011-02-25 14:52

    I remember running one of those many years ago with a construction outfit. Nice pictures.

  41. #41Errol2011-03-07 22:09

    Do old ones count? I've got an old one too.

  42. #4251kw2011-03-07 22:48

    Errol someone stole your wing...

  43. #43veteran6682011-03-09 00:42

    Nice pictures, but I would like to see more with the grader?

  44. #44Errol2011-03-09 21:45

    When I bought the grader, the previous owner said it didn't have a wing, even though I saw one laying there under some garbage. I wasn't going to blow the deal on insisting on the wing. Paid $5K for it in 2007, haven't put a dime into it yet. Don't have any more of snow, but have a couple of some road work.