Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

plugged grease pathway

Goldknight ยท 2015-05-10 18:54

Fixing up a older backhoe and I have 2 on the grease holes that are plugged. There both on the backhoe swing pivot. Yep there has not been grease in either ho0le for years it seems. I did get the top pin out and cleaned up. I can see where the pin has moved metal around in the hole and this has plugged the grease pathway. I tried to drill it out but no luck that metal is very hard. How do you experts out there deal with this kind of issue? Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2015-05-10 19:57

    If you have the pin out, a straight shot at it, and just need to drill it. Sharpen up a carbide masonry bit and go slow. That will work with the pin in place also. If you're going to use this a lot, in the long term you might want new bushings and pin in there. But how much do you want to do to it before you're sure it's reliable?

  2. #2vera662015-05-10 20:48

    I have used a port a power hooked up to the grease fitting screws in and pump it until the oil comes out or pivot the joint until oil comes out then grease it up

  3. #3Shimmy12015-05-10 21:54

    Porta power not going to work if metal has been moved. Either drill or die-grind out the hole. Grinding a groove parallel, across the hole works well to prevent the hole from plugging again. That and timely greasing.

  4. #4Goldknight2015-05-10 22:56

    I burned up 2 carbide drill bits today trying to get through to the pin. I have a hammer drill, I will pick up a carbide mason bit and try that. Thanks

  5. #5Shimmy12015-05-10 23:31

    A hammer drill will do nothing. You need lots of speed, and steady pressure with the masonry bit.

  6. #6DIRTHAWK2015-05-11 07:08

    Could pound the bushing out drill the clogged hole out and pound the bushing back in.

  7. #7Mobiltech2015-05-11 08:57

    Sounds like maybe the bushing has turned or moved in the boss and the grease holes are not lined up or the grease channel is plugged. It would be a good idea to take the bushing out and clean the grease channel .