Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Poclain help

techdive ยท 2019-05-14 10:20

Good morning everyone! New to the site hoping some here might have some info on a machine i recently got my hands on. Its a 1980 poclain 160 air cooler duetz engine 2900 original hours. The machine ran perfect 5 years ago when parked new fuel and batts and it fired right up like it was running an hour ago BUT no movement on anything .. ive changed a bunch of pilot lines filters are good i have gauges coming tomorrow the check psi but have no idea what it is suppose to be. ive looked everywhere in the cab and there doesnt seem to be any safety lever anywhere.the old owner doesnt seem to remmeber having one either.

Replies5
  1. #1RZucker2019-05-14 11:11

    I haven't seen one of those for 30+ years, I do remember a steel safety lever at the LH base of the seat. I also seem to recall that the pump pistons could stick if they sat for long periods, they had a very light return spring and relied on tank pressure to help them return. Again... it's been a long time, so I could be wrong.

  2. #2techdive2019-05-14 11:19

    Thanks for the reply! I do have a safety lever/ foot pedal by the seat but it seems to be a pressure release of some sort it returns up aftr you press it down. I checked the pistons in the pump and they seem to be fine . i am going to try and bypass that foot pedal next in case there is something stuck open inside

  3. #3skadill2019-05-14 11:58

    Hi,i picked up an old 1989 link belt 2800 that had sat for a bunch of years.Half the control functions wouldnt work.It was the pistons in the pilot control valve(operators cab)themselves bypassing,as they stayed pushed down with the lever action,but wouldnt return back up.Needed some cleaning and then worked.

  4. #4uffex2019-05-14 13:02

    Good day As best I recollect if you disturbed the hydraulic system it required bleeding at the pump (Some Allen set screws for each chamber ) hope it gets you out of trouble. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5RZucker2019-05-14 13:48

    Are you sure that pedal isn't for a hammer function or if it pivots forward and back it may be to run both tracks for straight travel? It sounds to me like the safety valve feeding the pilot controls may not be opening.