Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Poly Cutting Edge

Wastepro · 2019-05-24 05:21

Anyone ever used a poly cutting edge for working a loader on concrete. We are needing the replace the cutting edge on our 9' bucket and was considering this option. Anyone had experience? Looks like we are $400+ for the poly edge or $850 for a new metal one from CAT. THanks for opinions. click the link for a picture of what talking about. https://www.maywes.com/poly-cutting-edge

Replies6
  1. #1Wastepro2019-05-24 08:05

    it might be worth mentioned that we rarely move dirt. Most material used by our buckets are loose organics. Currently been fine with metal cutting edge but we are careful working on the concrete. Very curious about the poly edge because we could clean and clear the concrete pad bettter between loads. Thanks.

  2. #2CM19952019-05-24 09:57

    Interesting. I have no input on the difference in materials but I am curious if anyone else does.

  3. #3gtermini2019-05-24 11:21

    No comment on the functionality. Just mentioning that ordering UHMW from a plastics supply house will be less than 1/2 price. It is beyond easy to work with on a table saw, skilsaw, and hand drill. A guy could make up a pile of them before lunch time and have them on the shelf and ready to change out. Most suppliers will cut to size within an 1/8" as well.

  4. #4Bls repair2019-05-24 12:15

    Polished concrete or rough concrete? I can see it working to some extent on polished but rough would be like putting it on a grinding wheel. I’ve worn out steel edges cleaning up behind a milling machine in 3 days.

  5. #5John C.2019-05-24 15:51

    I've never seen that before. The waste handlers here use what looks like sliced up tires stacked together that rides underneath the edges. It makes the bottom of the bucket ride higher by the amount of the add on. If you get those I would be interested in how they work.

  6. #6Welder Dave2019-05-24 20:04

    I think they would wear fast on dry concrete. Snow removal would provide some lubricant from the snow/water.