Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pondering about truckers, coffee and trucks . . .

Acoals · 2023-06-21 22:37

Did drivers start drinking coffee in 1997? Why is it that nothing built before the late Nineties has anything resembling cupholders? I mean, I know all the methods; wedge the cup in the windshield, stick it between the body controls, set it on the floor, but all those years nobody in Detroit thought of inventing a cupholder?

Replies32
  1. #1cfherrman2023-06-22 00:06

    Drive a BMW, they didn't get cup holders worth a dam until 2006 or so

  2. #2Shimmy12023-06-22 00:14

    Well, maybe a couple years sooner. My 1995 Ford has Captain's chairs with cupholders in the center console.

  3. #3Coaldust2023-06-22 01:56

    Let’s enjoy some 30 weight coffee & listen to Long Haul Paul while we ponder this important question.

  4. #4Acoals2023-06-22 06:51

    I had a '95 F150 for a long time; it had a bench seat with a little cupholder like thing in the middle down on the floor by the shifter. It was an attempt at a cup holder anyway. Before everybody went all eco and switched to paper cups the styrofoam ones worked just as well wedged in the windshield as that silly little cupholder.

  5. #5stinky642023-06-22 08:27

    Ya can't fit a Bubba Mug in a cup holder c'mon.

  6. #6repowerguy2023-06-22 12:03

    A place I used to work for had a couple 1988 2300 S Series IH that had cup holders built into the doghouse.

  7. #7Old Doug2023-06-22 12:47

    I did alot of stuff i shouldnt have i wouldnt eat or drink anything unless i was about a hour from stopping.

  8. #8Coaldust2023-06-22 13:36

    Old Fred Eaglesmith would drive with his knees, when the coast was clear, mixing up his coffee recipe on the road.

  9. #9Keith Merrell2023-06-22 13:39

    My 1986 Freightliner FLC didn't have a cupholder. But a friend gave me a standalone cup holder that you put on the floor of the cab that held two cups, and had a pocket in the middle for small parts and change and the like.

  10. #10Coaldust2023-06-22 14:39

    I have a theory, or a hypothesis about commercial vehicle coffee cup holders and the rise of roadside trucker bombs. I hypothesize that the number of roadside trucker bombs per mile, increased drastically after the standardization of OEM supplied cup holders. Amiright ?

  11. #11aighead2023-06-22 14:43

    I think the road beers my dad used to drink would go between the seat and the e-brake. I think for my 1977 Skylark I had one of those bean bag things with an ashtray attached, but I don't recall if there was a drink holder in it. I know I had the plastic kind you could hook into your window...

  12. #12_Weldman_2023-06-22 16:13

    People complain about no cup holders before the mid nineties yet on same note complain vehicles prices are too high for some reason. Nope no correlation here, free of charge to put those amenities in.

  13. #13crane operator2023-06-22 17:46
  14. #14MG842023-06-22 19:58

    On the same note as cup holders: why did my '77 Ranchero have four good tie downs in the bed, but Ford wouldn't put tie downs in the bed of the F-series for another 20 years?

  15. #15stinky642023-06-22 20:04

    That'll work, but it ain't no 64oz. Bubba Mug

  16. #16Mobilewrench2023-06-22 20:27

    Think my 94 f250 had three ashtrays, no cup holders.

  17. #17CM19952023-06-22 20:39

    I'm still pissed BMW puts cup holders in the M Series. Bought a brand new 2001 M3 and thought the world was in fact going to hell because it had cup holders. Beginning of the end I tell ya'! They never were used in that car as long as I owned it as there were 3 things not allowed - drinking, eating or farting. Other things with proper discretion.

  18. #18Truck Shop2023-06-22 21:24

    If you drink that much coffee-you probably won't pass a DOT psychical, I know of a few there heart was wound out. If you drink that much your constantly dehydrated, orange ****. The other your looking for a rest area/not driving. At the price of good coffee can't afford much of that. Coffee in a truck cab just makes a mess. Drink some water your body will thankyou and more money in your pocket. Rot Gut.

  19. #19Acoals2023-06-22 22:06

    16oz of coffee is kind of required at 3:30am . . . 64oz will give me the jitters and shakes and probably worse.

  20. #20cfherrman2023-06-22 22:42

    Those were those worthless fold out cup holders in the middle? I don't call them cup holders and I never new anyone to actually use those.

  21. #21westerner2023-06-22 23:44

    by our age, banning farting will cut down on your workload, no kidding...

  22. #22aighead2023-06-23 06:20

    If you were driving an m3 properly the beverages would be tossed out of the cup holders anyway.

  23. #23cfherrman2023-06-23 08:23

    I remember reading a review of the e39 540i talking about the crap cupholders saying to leave the drinks at home you will be going so fast you will spill all over.

  24. #24Truck Shop2023-06-23 08:33

    Brother had a 1993 BMW 850--worst car he ever owned.

  25. #25CM19952023-06-23 08:43

    Exactly. Loved that car. The balance, power and torque from the inline 6 made a fine touring coupe.

  26. #26_Weldman_2023-06-23 10:50

    You know that phrase, “here hold my drink” yeah it’s why I don’t need cup holders, it happens more often than not.

  27. #27aighead2023-06-23 14:06

    It looked cool though Truck Shop! Maybe it was just rare enough and weird enough.

  28. #28Truck Shop2023-06-23 15:22

    Out of {IIRC} the one year he owned it, it spent a total of 3.5 months in the shop. While on his way home crossing the I-90 Floating bridge the heater core exploded soaking the passenger side of the floor boards and dash. Setting in the sun, he came out of his office to find the windshield cracked. Engine wiring harness had to be replaced. He traded it with under 8,000 miles on it. Took a Bath financially plus to get the stink off from that car.

  29. #29cfherrman2023-06-23 21:40

    Too bad after 2006 bmw went to **** and they are 80,000 cars. I still want to get a e39 M5 when I get the money

  30. #30Truck Shop2023-06-24 22:04

    Pondering about truckers, coffee and trucks . . . I'm still pissed BMW puts cup holders in the M Series. Bought a brand new 2001 M3 and thought the world was in fact going to hell because it had cup holders. Beginning of the end I tell ya'!:mad::p They never were used in that car as long as I owned it as there were 3 things not allowed... HeavyEquipmentForums When your driving along and you see a mailbox with the door down stuffed full of bills with some laying around on the ground----That's where a coffee drinking truck driver resides.

  31. #31stinky642023-06-25 09:59

    And the driveway smells like ****

  32. #32Coaldust2023-06-25 23:10

    “Rays been firing them all over the park like he's still driving a truck."