Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Porta Power?

hvy 1ton ยท 2011-04-06 17:44

I'm looking to get a press set for repair work. Would a 5 ton enerpac set work for my size stuff? Tractors, finish dozers, sub 200 excavators etc. The first thing i need to do is replace the draft sensors in my 6400. I'm gonna need a really short cylinder and spacers to press them out, but i'll need the regular cylinder to press the new ones in. Need something comparable to JDG947 in terms of tonnage.

Replies6
  1. #1TOM V2011-04-06 18:43

    30 ton center hole ram is my most used ram,3" stroke it is not too long you could use it as a regular jack or use to pull in bushings and many other uses. Center hole is the way to go. You do not have to buy a set, you could buy a pump, and cylinder of your choice. Add to it as you need. Good luck TOM V

  2. #2willie592011-04-06 19:26

    I agree Tom V. If I were going to spend the money for a hydraulic ram setup, It's well worth it to spend the extra dollars and get a hollow ram.

  3. #3hvy 1ton2011-04-07 00:24

    After looking around on ebay some, i agree that piecing a set together is the way to go. I found several used enerpac flat jacks, which i need first. The price difference between the 10's and 20's is minimal. 20 tons should be plenty for a ~1" pin, right? I'm gonna go bother the parts guys and mechanics tomorrow and get a look at this tool kit they have. 1 of the 5 results i come up with when i search for it is this thread. ointhead I think i'll wait for a hollow cylinder to pop up used before i pick one up, 2K is a bit steep for a as-necessary mechanic.

  4. #4koldsteele2011-04-07 08:35

    Heavy 1 ton ....Under advice from Dad , I started out buying an Enerpac 2 stage pump and from there you can hunt for bargains on different cylinders .. After you start hunting bargains its easy to have a good collection lol..

  5. #5tctractors2011-04-07 15:39

    This shop talk section is very good with lots of sound topics, I use hydraulic power at least 2 times a week, I have about 5 hollow rams ranging from 30 to 150 ton capacity, plus I have solid cylinders and rim pulling cylinders to tear down CAT Komatsu and Fiat tractors, a 30 tonner would be the place to start from if possible, I have at least 3 2speed 1o'ooopsi pumps that I dont use spare (any U.K. takers) anything less than 30 ton is hammer speck to me, I will post some pictures in the other thread asap of some jobs done in the last few weeks to show how handy this kit can be, but I once bought a track press kit off a chap that had a Pirate style scar on his face caused by the kit I had just paid my coins for, you have to keep your head on the job in hand and be super safe with no other people near that might be hurt through your actions. tctractors

  6. #6smittysrepair2011-04-07 23:34

    Another thing to consider is going with an air powered foot operated pump if you are able to. After buying the one I currently have several years ago to use with my smaller single acting cylinders I went and sold all of my manual pumps. It is real nice to be able to work the pump with your foot and keep your eyes on the prize. Plus they are not that high compared to a good manual pump. Of course on the high end there is also the big electric ones that Cat sells. I bought one of those a few years ago to use with my double acting cylinders that I also got from Cat. I can not imagine working on the stuff I work on without that one either. The down side to one of the big Cat brand ones though is the price. I still have yet to deal with explaining to my wife that because of that purchase my kids will never get to go to college.lol I am however looking for a good used track pin press to hook to my big pump, to press out master pins in various tracks if anyone knows of any for sale!! It is a shame that they did not invent the claw link before they invented tracks!lol I cringe every time I get a call when the owner says I don't recall seeing a master link on that machine but I do remember Joe Blow beating on the track for several hours when he had to break the track the last time. Smitty