Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Portable shelter???

watglen ยท 2012-02-25 09:51

I was wondering what guys have done to shelter their equipment on site. I have a 240 excavator and d5g dozer i would like to get under a cover. I am looking for sun and weather protection for my machines while parked on site. Doesn't need to be too elaborate, just easy to set up, sturdy, and affordable. Any bright ideas out there? I was thinking of doing something on a trailer to make is easy to transport. Then have it so the building is hooked to the trailer when erected to give the building some weight. Ken

Replies5
  1. #1Colorado Digger2012-02-25 10:11

    when the iron is on site it is normally working. i cannot see why you would want to spend money on a cover for your iron. unless i am missing something. not trying to be negative just don't see the point in it. please explain

  2. #2watglen2012-02-25 10:34

    My experience must be different than yours cd. I am talking overnight, on weekends, when the weather is too bad to work. I have several other irons in the fire. Sometimes I will start a project, then go off and do something else for a month. It will sit on my own property for months at a time, not doing anything except waiting. I tend not to float stuff home except for service.

  3. #3tuney4432012-02-25 20:07

    Been lookin for my shop for one.Shelter Logic is 1 good co. that I looked at.Just make sure you get the upgraded 10-12 year cover.

  4. #4Randy882012-02-25 20:15

    How long does it take to set up one of these things, are you talking the hoop variety with the plastic over the metal skeleton? Otherwise toss a tarp over the cab and main part tie it to the machine to keep it from blowing away, seen a few that do that to keep the open ropes area from getting wet and also the engine compartment to keep it dry over a longer term.

  5. #5buckfever2012-02-26 14:24

    i'd say a good tarp and some strap binders. pull it over and use the binders to pull it tight. easy to install and remove.