OK guys I have a 2004 Cat D6R. Everytime I turn to the left the right track acts like it skips, but it isn't. It has brand new rails with maybe 500 hours on them and and everything else on undercarriage measures up pretty good. Also, this did this when I had old rails on. (Its not system one) When turning to the left you can almost time when its going to happen by counting to 3, and keeps happening every 3 seconds. It only happens when turning. I thought maybe it was something in the final drive but when I take the plug off there is hardly a trace of anything at all on the magnet. So I don't think its anything there. Ive tried running the track a little on the tighter side and then loosen it up a bit to see if that works. Same deal. We took and oil sample of the transmission 340hrs ago and Cat said iron levels slightly high but to change filters. We just took another sample and waiting for that to come back. They think it could be possibly a broken tooth in diff steer? Not real sure but just curious if anybody has had anything like this happen to them. And at last, whats this going to cost if theyre right?
hi serial number please, check your transmission screens for debris if there is remove floor plate and remove steer motor for visual inspection Mark
Just to eliminate one possibility is it possible to have someone stand near to the tractor when turning left and see if there is any sign of jumping the sprocket..? I know it's a long shot but it's best to eliminate the simple stuff before moving forward.
Possible Recoil Spring issue, as Nige commented, have someone look as you turn? tctractors
As Tony says in addition to someone watching the sprocket have them also watch the track adjuster for signs of movement. Any visible movement should be regarded as suspicious.
A quick way to check the recoil is to back the machine into something solid, like a rock wall, and then in reverse steer the machine so the offending track is pulling back against the front idler. If there is a problem the idle will pull back freely. The other possibility is the alignment of the track frame to the sprocket teeth or the equalizer bar bushing being broken letting the front of the track frame swing out of alignment. Did you pull the track frames when you replaced the undercarriage?
Thanks for the reply guys. Serial number is DAE00137. I have had a service guy stand next to the track and watch as I turn to see if it was skipping the sprocket and they said it wasn't. Ive checked all the sprockets and makes sure they were tight. Havent had anybody watch the track adjuster? but just from your normal walk arounds it doesn't look like the cylinder moves by the looks of dirt on it? I will have to check into the recoil spring as you guys are talking.
Thanks for the reply John. I will have to check into the recoil. As far as the equalizer bushings, those were replaced 2 years ago and I was just under it the other day changing oil and they're good yet. And you ask did I pull the track frames you kind of lost me there? If your referring to loosening the adjuster and pulling idler back I did.
What John means is were the complete track roller frames removed from the machine when you overhauled the undercarriage..?
The roller frames weren't removed. All that was done was split the rails and replace with new ones.
I also just heard some good news the transmission oil sample came back good.
thought i had a problem with the diff steer on a 6r, it would skip when you turned one way, finally found the bottom roller nearest the final had shelled out on one side.
Try to pull the right axle If you can't get it out than you have differential steer prolems. I believe you already know this but are being fooled by the oil sample.