Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Possible problems with Glenn Mfg.’s MUTT Trailer.

ianholt150 · 2017-11-13 16:06

I am researching Glenn Mfg. MUTT trailer. MUTT stands for Moveable Undercarriage Tilt Trailer. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies18
  1. #1Junkyard2017-11-13 23:38

    I took a look at their site. Wasn't much detail on the trailer as far as construction etc. I'd want to know how they build the slide, what suspension they use, are the structural members mill run material or fabricated from higher tensile steel? What style trailer are you looking at? See if they can send detailed drawings, component specs etc so we can see how they compare to other brands.

  2. #2ianholt1502017-11-14 09:19

    This is the kind of trailer I am looking for. From what I hear, the people at the factory are in no big hurry to answer anybodies questions. Maybe we could both reach out and see how that goes?

  3. #3ianholt1502017-11-14 12:44

    Ian, good morning this is Tom Glenn Sr. we are a custom manufacturer and will build to your needs. As for the undercarriage we use standard structural material with some exceptions. As for the suspension we use a single point suspension with all cast attaching parts this suspension is owned by Glenn Engineering. As for axles we use Dexter 12K 15K which are the most popular. As for the frame we use A36 12x25lb. channel for a standard MUTT and we also use and have formed Domex which is a 100.000lb tensile material. Ian, I hope this helped if you would like a quote let me know and you are always welcome to stop by, have a great day. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________ This is the email I recieved this morning from Glenn Mfg. What would you think about getting 15k Dexter axles under it? Does the trailer itself benefit from getting 15k axles? Would that increase the GVWR to being above the GVWR with 12k axles?

  4. #4ianholt1502017-11-14 12:46

    By the way, I changed my opinion on them not being interested to answer anybodies questions. I sent this early his morning at 6 and I had heard back from them by 10

  5. #5DMiller2017-11-14 13:26

    I would be leery of the slide being a component part of the frame if A36 is used as is conventional structural steel general millrun and will scuff shear(rub up rolled metal). Domex is abrasion resistant. Check the pricing on the latter.

  6. #6crane operator2017-11-14 13:33

    I'd be interested to see how the pivot is built. What are you looking at hauling on this trailer, and what are you pulling it with? That's going to determine what you need for axles, and if you need the 15k axles, and/or the heavier beams. I got to use ours today, delivering forklift to a job for tomorrow, its a trail-eze built trailer, I pull it with a full size tractor.

  7. #7Junkyard2017-11-14 20:13

    I would be skeptical of any trailer much heavier than a gooseneck w/ 10k axles built from mill run material. It just doesn't hold up in the long run. They can't build any positive camber into it and eventually it'll be running negative, plus lower tensile material doesn't have the "memory" of higher tensile and once it's sprung it's gonna stay that way. I'd REALLY like to see their slide setup. I mainly want to see how long it is (front to back to see how they spread the load) and how much of the deck is supported. Also, how wide are the main beams? Crossmember spacing? The potential issue I see if the slide and main beams are narrow a larger machine that's wide and setting out towards the side rail may start to bow the deck. Now if they use a fairly heavy channel for the side rail and the crossmembers are a tight spacing I wouldn't be quite so worried. If there's ever even the slightest chance you'll haul a solid tire forklift you'll want 12" spacing for sure. Those are as bad or worse than a compactor when it comes to punching through a trailer floor. My concern on the beam width comes from seeing the early sliding axle and even some tilt trailers built with narrow beam centers causing a cantilever affect from the main rail out. Using domex seems strange to me, usually they go to T-1 when upgrading and building a fabricated beam. I had one 13 axle that was domex and it was very "springy" for lack of a better word. Moreso than T-1. They may use domex in high wear areas like the slide to mitigate damage. If so that doesn't do squat for structural integrity. I see the attraction to that style trailer. There are places it would sure be handy. Even more than just a hydraulic tail. If they can send their "standard" spec sheet to you we can look it over and based on your needs I can offer suggestions to upgrade various things. I'd want a winch on it, key slots in the floor like a rollback, 12 or 15k axles are fine. No matter what I'd want 17.5 tires. I'd really consider something other than electric brakes. They just don't last. I guess it boils down to your budget and intended use....

  8. #8old-iron-habit2017-11-14 23:33

    Some trailers now have a 19.5 option on the tires. Folks that run them have claimed near double the mileage and very seldom a blowout. Might be worth checking.

  9. #9ianholt1502017-11-17 11:05

    I use a 2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD with a 6.6 Duramax diesel, and a 6 spd. Allison transmission with Tow/Haul Mode to haul it.

  10. #10ianholt1502017-11-17 14:55

    everything.

  11. #11ianholt1502017-12-08 15:56

    Still No reply from Glenn Mfg.

  12. #12Junkyard2017-12-08 16:15

    Interesting. Seems like they're not real ambitious about selling trailers....have you searched other mfgr's that build a similar style trailer?

  13. #13ianholt1502017-12-08 16:33

    No... I have not. It doesn't make sense. I first emailed them, and I heard back from them in 2 hours. I email them back about 4 times, and I haven't heard from them in 2 weeks.

  14. #14RobertJ2017-12-08 21:03

    From what I've seen of the Glenn Mfg. Mutt trailers they are top quality trailers. I used to live in the same area where they are made and knew a few people that had them. I never heard anything bad about them other than the cost to buy it. Its been years since I've looked at the undercarriage so I can't remember how its set up though. For the axles, the people I seen getting them with 15k axles are pulling them with a MDT, I think with a pickup you wouldn't need more than 12k axles. As far as tires/brakes/etc they will built it with whatever options you want. As far as I know they only build trailers to order so they can customize to what the customer needs.

  15. #15ianholt1502017-12-14 16:03

    Cool... But I still haven't heard back from them regarding the answers to my questions... any ideas?

  16. #16RTSmith2018-01-01 14:29

    FWIW- sometimes spam filters catch things, on either end. Even if it has gone through before. I too like email, but before giving up, I think I'd call.

  17. #17ianholt1502018-01-08 15:18

    Thanks for all your help, but I still am considering buying one, and if anyone has had any problems with them, please help me!

  18. #18Scott.edwards002024-10-11 00:15

    Hi if anyone sees this I am Tom Glenn’s grandson, we are still building trailers and if anyone has any questions contact Tom jr. @ [email protected]