Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Possible Project in Canada

John C. · 2019-01-11 21:54

Got a request from a client to look at some machinery for purchase in Canada. I called a friend in BC for advice and was told I might need permits to come into the country to do inspections for possible purchase. Does anyone know if that is a thing and just what kind of permits would I need? Thanks for any input.

Replies33
  1. #1td25c2019-01-11 22:50

    Probably something to it John . Was working for a farmer in the late 1980's . Project at the time was repowering an old Buckeye wheel trencher from gas to a diesel power unit . The Boss ended up buying a 4-71 out of Canada . All was good until he gets a call from the trucking company at the border entering the US . Can't remember all the details of what paper work wasn't strait . Have a vivid memory of the Boss on the phone with customs . " It's a God Damned 4-71 Detroit engine bought & paid for ! " Good luck with the project John .

  2. #2StanRUS2019-01-11 23:28

    Try this John, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...vices/work-canada/permit/business-people.html Next page https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...rvices/visit-canada/business/eligibility.html As a business visitor, you must show that you plan to stay for less than six months, you do not plan to enter the Canadian labour market, your main place of business, and source of income and profits, is outside Canada,

  3. #3245dlc2019-01-11 23:36

    Just like any other sovereign nation we have our rules about exporting or importing anything. The Hitachi I run at work was imported from the U.S. and we had to do that through a broker so you'll probably find it easier to call one other wise the border guards will have a few things to say.

  4. #4excavator2019-01-12 11:36

    John, I think you are asking about doing the inspections, not about the customer importing the equipment. As far as I know they do not allow you to go up and do any kind of work that a Canadian citizen can do. Getting a permit from the government for a one time thing would likely not be worth the hassle. Taking tools other than a laptop across the border is usually a problem. I would think though if you found a local mechanic to come and do the inspections it would be OK for you to be there overseeing them. Let us know what happens as I live 2 miles from the BC border and would like to know. Thanks.

  5. #5John C.2019-01-12 12:21

    I have sent the question in to the Canadian consulate through their web site. The possibility is for multiple machines in a couple of different provinces. Once I have an answer from the Canadian government people I'll post it here. Thanks for all the input.

  6. #6wornout wrench2019-01-12 13:01

    Will be interesting to see the results. I have know of several Youtuber's that have been turned back at the border because of missing documents. Apparently posting something on youtube is considered working. Who knew.

  7. #7John C.2019-01-12 13:13

    You can get paid for the video you upload onto YouTube so I would think it would count as something you could hire a Canadian citizen to accomplish as well.

  8. #8StanRUS2019-01-12 13:49

    Ca, gov answer per inspecting equipment will be interesting... Mechanic-Welders (US based union employees or independent subs with their own service rigs) do not have issues getting work permits for Canada working on US based-owned and controlled equipment; Ref Peed Construction guys doing that.

  9. #9Shimmy12019-01-12 15:11

    Any chance you might be making a mountain out of a molehill?? Unless your client is a Canadian, and he is hiring you to come up into Canada to work for him, I would think you are simply going up to Canada to look at equipment. What business is it to the Canadian government other than that? When you get to the border, or customs at the airport, I would think all you need to say is you are planning on *looking* at equipment for sale, where you will be traveling, and how long you plan to stay in Canada. Whether or not you are getting paid by another U.S. citizen or business should be of no concern, nor even matter to the Canadian government. I would believe, however, if you are going to be compensated for this venture by a Canadian citizen or business, that probably would change things.

  10. #10John C.2019-01-12 20:36

    The reason I asked the question is because of people I know warning me about the hassles they had crossing the border to do exactly what I'm being asked to do. Laying hands on a piece of iron may mean I should be hiring a Canadian citizen to do the inspections or that I have to have a permit. If there is a cost to the permit then my client needs to know they will be billed for it and how much and again how it will affect the job process. At any rate it doesn't hurt to ask the question here and from the Canadian government before I were to drive the three hours north and then have to wait at the border on someone else's bill for paper work to be processed.

  11. #11245dlc2019-01-12 21:42

    I'm with Shimmy and I live in Canada. Its really none of their business what your doing you can be simply visiting family in Saskatchewan and B.C. and your a mechanic so you always have tools in your truck with you. Just don't bring any guns and I mean that people have been thrown in clown college (jail) for that when trying to cross the border.

  12. #12Bumpsteer2019-01-12 21:57

    Just get a passport and go "sightseeing" Ed

  13. #13td25c2019-01-12 23:15

    Sounds like Chicago . When I hear don't bring any guns ……. That's when I really need the gun .

  14. #14Bumpsteer2019-01-13 00:01

    Canada doesn't screw around with firearms.....hunting long guns can be brought in by following proper procedure. Handguns are 100% not allowed by foreigners. Go to jail, directly to jail, do not pass go, do not....you know the rest. This policy has been in effect for decades... Ed

  15. #15245dlc2019-01-13 00:19

    I didn't post it to be controversial just as an FYI some of these laws have been in effect since the Yukon Gold Rush days when the NWMP (North West Mounted Police predecessor of the RCMP) were stationed at the border with early gatling guns in an effort to deter the lawlessness of the 'Wild West' south of the 49th parallel (USA). To this day the RCMP are a larger force than the Canadian Army and are a federal police force like the FBI but a much much bigger deal.

  16. #16Welder Dave2019-01-13 01:33

    I think you could look into a work visa or just say your going to look at some machinery you're considering purchasing. Don't say you're being paid but going to look at a machine that might be coming up for auction. If they question you further say you dabble in used equipment if you find the right deal. I'm sure US buyers come to look at equipment in Canada all the time. The RCMP a much bigger deal than the FB!? I don't think so Tim.

  17. #17245dlc2019-01-13 01:51

    Yes they are in the way that the U.S. has not only FBI, but ATF, and DEA and all these other organizations separately, but we have all those under the umbrella of the RCMP and much more.

  18. #18Welder Dave2019-01-13 01:59

    The RCMP may handle more types of law enforcement under one umbrella but not in the same league as the FBI. CSIS although kind of joke is like the Canadian FBI. The US has 10 times the population.

  19. #19DMiller2019-01-13 15:11

    Only time tried to enter Canada was given the third degree by the entry port staff, took all the stuff out of our Harley, scattered it on the ground, damned impersonal and impertinent late 20 somethings to early 30 somethings, brash and Azzholes. Guess they thought a late fifties man and woman on a Harley claiming to be tourists was too easy. Never stated Sorry, Never stated when done Excuse our being so strict or severe, just left our stuff in disarray ON THE PAVEMENT and walked away, said "they are not hauling" to another man as just walked away. We refilled the bike and rode BACK into the states. Couple of Dirt Hippies in a derelict RV got a glance over and free pass. Do not feel I ever need to go to Canada, ever. Did find it humorous he could not manipulate the lid on a used Vet bottle we carry laundry supplies in(tide pods), I did get sarcastic and state "Have to be smarter than the bottle" then removed the lid where he promptly dumped the contents to the ground.

  20. #20StanRUS2019-01-13 15:39

    Exactly why John's using the Canadian Consulate services to answer his' question(s) via email is advisable. 30-45 minutes of time invested to prevent 30minutes to hours stuck @ the border crossing. Email reply printed out for presentation to the border guards.

  21. #21Truck Shop2019-01-13 16:43

    I ran into Vancouver B.C. with a drop at Oppenheimer or Tom Yee four to five nights a week, I had B.C. plates & permits. All loads were brokered, 45 minute wait to clear customs. Never had one issue with RCMP's, rule don't act like american jack ass and things go smooth. In your case your only inspecting, move it across border it will be brokered and inspected by U.S. customs, and U.S. customs is way worse in most cases, you being a U.S. citizen makes you even more of a suspect.

  22. #22wornout wrench2019-01-13 16:55

    Unfortunately, since 911, border security on both sides has tightened up. What used to be an easy passage between 2 friendly nations has turned into a major hassle. Personally I don't have an issue with the stepped up security. I think that the border guards have their personalities and senses of humor removed. It must help with the tediousness of the job. God only knows what I would be like. People tell me that I am a pretty nice guy. I bet that after 2 days of doing that job I would be the biggest A hole around. John is doing the right thing. simple little piece of paper will solve a whole mitt full of problems down the road. If the Government of Canada says that you need this document filled out to do what you need to do, fill it out, end of story, end of problem. If I was going to the States to do the same thing John is doing, I would do the exact same thing. Contact border services, immigration, who ever I had to, to make sure that I was all legal.

  23. #23245dlc2019-01-13 18:00

    I've crossed back and forth over the years and always have all my documentation if I buy something south of the border, some guards are more strict than others and doesn't seem to matter what country they are representing others have been friendly and chatty. Its unfortunate border security is as strict as it is, as I think most people have good intentions.

  24. #24Welder Dave2019-01-13 20:34

    It's a big power trip for a lot of the border security and cops in general. There was a big stink about a year ago that women wearing niqab's covering their face don't have to remove them going through airport security. One woman was even suing the gov't. because she didn't think she should have to remove it to become a Canadian citizen. Dispute some bad border security, Canada is generally pretty nice people.

  25. #25DMiller2019-01-14 18:05

    May ONE DAY try it again and STILL on a Harley.

  26. #26John C.2019-01-14 19:01

    I've been hassled far more by US Customs than the people on the Canada side. It used to be quick, got any guns, fresh fruit, how long you staying, where are you going; have a nice trip. I missed a call today from an attorney wanting to discuss this. I'll stay in phone range tomorrow.

  27. #27wornout wrench2019-01-14 19:43

    Buddy of mine was a US citizen working in Canada on a sponsored work visa. He never had a problem coming into canada, only going home. I guess he was a bit wild in his youth and had some kind of a mark against his name. He spent the night in a jail one time going home. ??? Not sure what it was that had the authorities all pizzy about him, could not be anything too bad or Canada would not have let him in. DMiller, just ignore the idiots at the border and come on up. We are a pretty friendly bunch up here.

  28. #28Camshawn2019-01-14 22:05

    If a Canadian is coming going to the US, no work can be preformed in the US unless all the work permits are in place. Don’t bring a “work tool” with you! You will be turned back, even if you are going to the ice cream parlour a 1/2 mile south. I was asked last week my occupation when we crossed ( electrician) and did I have any tools. Mechanical pliers and screw drivers were ok but not electrical ones. The electrical tools became mechanical tools and it was ok. We could have been sent back. We cross a lot some years and not at all other years. Most US border people we have dealt with have been curtious and nice. A few have not been. Like most interactions, be honest and accept what you get. Cam

  29. #29John C.2019-01-15 12:03

    Just got off the phone with a attorney in Montreal about this issue. I don't know why my request was forwarded to a private attorney but the information is good. Basically the project is less than five days at a time, no intervening interests having to do with Canada, both me and the possible buyer American citizens and the project being paid for outside of Canada means that no permits are needed. The attorney did state that many times their customs people might have something personal that strikes them and they will run people through the wringer taking up time and costing money only to have to allow someone through anyway. So for a fee he would provide a piece of paper that would circumvent the egos that sometimes show up at the border. That's up to my client whether to pay the fee or not and whether or not to risk delays and costs associated with them. More than likely he will restrict his search for equipment to the States instead. I've done my due diligence at this point. Thanks for all the input! You guys are great!

  30. #30Bumpsteer2019-01-15 14:34

    Met with a customer today, he's from Canada. Told me since the govt shutdown, entering the US is a pita, the border agents aren't getting paid regularly and take their sweet arse time moving cars thru customs.... Ed

  31. #31Vetech632019-01-15 15:56

    You mean they are even slower when not paid?

  32. #32Tugger22019-01-16 22:35

    Years ago while in marine construction we aquired a mass of used floats and piles from the harbour in Blaine Wash . The whole project was a Sh###t show from the beginning to the end, floats breaking up in bad weather, dead head pilings escaping out tows.Customs visited our tug once as we were in eye sight of their office, they took one look at the scene, we did have paperwork in order and walked away ,have a good day boys dont be working without permits.Im sure they saw a greater benifit to the US to let this 5 acre collection of marine flotsam be exported to Canada without further complications. All that aside glad you have things sorted out John C . You never know when we might need an appraiser up here to evaluate American cranes properly , watching Ritchies gets pretty dismal when you own these things.

  33. #33IRON_ACES2019-01-18 20:14

    I do Heavy Equipment inspections. I live in Alberta. I have completed inspections and escrow projects for clients all over the world. I have been in the business for 18 years. Feel free to send me a pm if you want some assistance.