Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Possible suction screen clogged?

Mario26ny · 2026-01-23 11:06

Got an 03 Cat 257 that started whining as soon as I topped off the hydraulic reservoir. I’ve been through the entire system, flushed the fluid, changed the filter, repaired a couple small leaks.. but it dawned on me that I never checked the suction screen.. Is it a possibility that when I topped it off it stirred up some sediment or something and clogged the screen? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Replies12
  1. #1Mobiltech2026-01-23 11:16

    How much of a top off and what type of oil did you use?

  2. #2funwithfuel2026-01-23 11:18

    You might have relieved any residual tank pressure. Now your pump has to pull cold oil vs getting oil pushed in. The other thing I'd look at is if there's any possible leaks between the tank sump and the pump inlet. Anywhere that air could be pulled in.

  3. #3Nige2026-01-23 12:04

    This........... Also please when you post can you include a Serial Number. 03 Cat 257 means about the same as "White Ford F150" in the world of equipment. Generally the screen can be removed from the tank relatively easily if you want to check it, but TBH I would be looking at the oil grade you are using first.

  4. #4Mario26ny2026-01-23 12:04

    The pilot controls were seeping and it was about 3-3.5 gallons low.. it wasn’t being used that way, pretty much just sat.. I flushed it after I made the repair and put in the hydo 10, no leaks and oil seems to be staying nice and clean.

  5. #5Mario26ny2026-01-23 12:19

    Got it! I’ll remember that for next time I post..thanks! I am using Cat hydo 10 which is what my dealer recommended. I did buy the machine used and had no idea what was in it. CMM00558..

  6. #6Nige2026-01-23 13:02

    I wonder if the previous owner had put a heavier oil than recommended in it “to drown out the noise” when he sold it.? Did what you drained look any different in viscosity than what you put in.? Also you have to remember that your machine is probably getting up to 25 years old by now. It wouldn’t be surprising for it to have a bit of wear.

  7. #7Mario26ny2026-01-23 13:54

    The oil that came out seemed to be the same consistency and I definitely agree with you on age and wear and I don’t expect it to be without its flaws, I see plenty of these machines have a little whine to them and it doesn’t bother me a bit. I guess I’m only concerned a bit more because it started doing it instantly, like I flipped on a switch..

  8. #8HarleyHappy2026-01-23 16:08

    Depends on the weather also. Some of my machines squeal or moan a bit for a bit when it’s cold outside. I relate to that myself, if somebody woke me up and it was freezing outside my sleeping bag. lol

  9. #9Nige2026-01-23 17:01

    It may be you are hearing something abnormal but as we aren’t there to hear it there is a limit to the advice people can give you.

  10. #10Mario26ny2026-01-26 14:05

    So other than the whining, the machines been running great.. today I went to use it to clear some snow and randomly but only while using the hydraulics, the machine is stalling.. I can’t seem to win with this thing..

  11. #11HarleyHappy2026-01-27 10:27

    Fuel issue? How old is the fuel in the tank? Was it winter fuel? Lot of people than run low hours on diesel and keep their tanks full, forget that they have untreated fuel in their tanks come winter. I always treat my fuel but more so as we get into fall, unless it’s a machine I run a lot.

  12. #12Mario26ny2026-01-28 09:44

    Half tank of #2 and I topped it off with #1 but didn’t treat it so yeah that may be my issue.. I’m kind of new to owning a machine like this so there’s a lot I’m learning as I go.. I appreciate your input!