Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Post Drivers

barnbuilder · 2019-04-08 17:06

Can any of you guys recommend a post driver? Have several jobs in the works and tired of using an auger. I'm thinking if the ground is too hard could pre bore with a 4" bit and then drive it. I like the type that vibrate but not sure what is best. What about using a concrete breaker and possibly making a mount for it?

Replies8
  1. #1DIYDAVE2019-04-08 20:40

    Shaver drivers seem to be what the majority of farmers I know, use. I have an old Danuser drop hammer style one, if you're interested...

  2. #2pondo2019-04-08 22:00

    I had really good luck vibrating in 2 inch steel street sign post in nasty pit run ie 12" min gravel with hoe ram/ plate compactor. The bigger the better. I have a bobcat e32 mini ex. Dealer only had Pc64 available for rent. Worked great. Next job they only had PC 32 ... not enough power. I made jig plate w welded a ring / 3" pipe, bolted to bottom to hold post

  3. #3rondig2019-04-08 22:55

    I have a skidsteer mount "hammer" post pounder....it is completely awesome..pound rail ties like nothing..but.... It is not side mounted so you can not see down the line of posts...so it is not a great production unit

  4. #4davejo2019-04-21 16:25

    what do you mean by "hammer"? Drop hammer? http://www.danuser.com/attachments/post-drivers/hammer-sm40 I'm fixing up a skidsteer hydraulic breaker to see if it will drive wooden posts...

  5. #5barnbuilder2019-04-21 16:45

    I found one on YouTube of a home built breaker. It was mounted on a slide on an I beam so it had down pressure. SkidSteerSolutions has a nice unit the PD1250 but it's about $16.5 with options.

  6. #6rondig2019-04-21 17:04
  7. #7LN Pipeline2019-04-21 22:40

    This is what I would buy if I could find a cheap one with an auger. https://www.montanapostdriver.com/ If a person already has a smaller breaker, they could probably retrofit it to work similarly. Or buy a cheap used hammer and convert it. If the tool is compatible with someone’s existing hammer, maybe they could just buy the tool. I don’t know of anyone who has experience with one of these, though. So I can not attest to their performance or reliability.

  8. #8Farmerben2019-05-24 21:00

    I use a Kencove 10 post pounder on my tractor. Just got rid of my tractor and I’ll be converting it to run on skid steer