Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Postponed crane lift

Delmer ยท 2020-08-10 16:46

Anybody care to speculate what the equipment issues were with this postponement? I wouldn't think it was ideal to leave a project half removed like this. Wonder if the crane is up to the weight of the concrete statue? about 20' from memory. https://www.news8000.com/removal-of-hiawatha-statue-from-riverside-park-postponed/

Replies9
  1. #1crane operator2020-08-10 19:24

    A different report showed them jackhammering off the base concrete with a mini and hammer. Looks like they got under the concrete and found the big I-beams. And didn't have a torch. I think the I-beams will hold the statue without any concrete around it, the base is still there. At 25' tall and all concrete, it could easily go 8-10,000lbs, depending how much steel is in it. I think he will probably have all he wants with that small boom truck. The problem there is, once they torch it, he has to have it, or it will have him. I'd rather have too much crane, than too little at that point. Maybe the crane guy was saying the same thing, after he had a hold of it, and set there while they were jackhammering. I've made that call before, "hey, we need some more crane here, before we have a real disaster".

  2. #2crane operator2020-08-13 19:57

    Looks like they got in a little bigger equipment. Somebody thankfully put the math to it and decided they needed a little more crane. Looks like a 120- 150ton AT with all the weights on.

  3. #3Vetech632020-08-13 20:37

    Do I dare ask why that was being removed?

  4. #4crane operator2020-08-13 20:53

    No Haven't you already had your time out?

  5. #5Vetech632020-08-14 15:16

    Well, that was FWF's fault

  6. #6Delmer2020-08-15 23:51

    TLDR: Hipster wannabe mayor, believes Portlandia is real, and to be striven for. Mayors wife tangles with Yellow Cloud, presumed Native American? Native Americans revolt, mayor attempts appeasement and furtherance of Portandia enlightenment path. Trump too busy winning to spare any federal agents to defend cultural treasure. https://wxow.com/2020/07/21/kabat-charged-with-disorderly-conduct-in-la-crosse-confrontation/ My opinion only, I might not have all the facts straight on every detail.

  7. #7Delmer2020-08-16 08:46

    I was thinking of a Portlandia segment where the mayor wanted a more controversial parade, like a flaming faggot parade, but his butch lesbian police chief and homosexual legal counsel said it wasn't going to happen anymore, there was no reason for anybody to be controversial anymore. So the mayor invites neo nazi bikers in, marches with them, and slips away as violence ensues. Funny thing though, couldn't find that segment on the webs to link, couldn't possibly have been censored? Nooo that would never happen.

  8. #8RollOver Pete2020-08-16 15:05

    That pretty much says it all!

  9. #9Natman2020-08-16 18:28

    A friend in Arizona (well we used to be friends, until I sold him two of my past rigs....just kidding) just sent me a video on a text showing him SETTING a statue. Not that long, and I'd link to it here if I knew how. Portlandia was one funny show, even funnier now. Or maybe not.