I looked at a Insley H560B that runs good, needs a couple of cylinders rebuild and typical maintenance which seems about all that is wrong with it. What are the goods and bads other than it is a 70s vintage and parts availability? Asking $5K OBO.
Good old horse, hard to find parts for, probably worth more for scrap than the asking price, how could you go wrong if it runs?
Sounds like a nice find at that price . What type undercarriage ? Crane or tractor . This 560 has the crane type . http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8129529 As far as the build it will be very similar to my Hyhoe excavator . Insley Welded & fabricated the machine and pulled common parts off of other venders like engine , hydraulics , & final drives . For the most part I don't think you will have much trouble finding needed parts to fix it . Good luck with it .
It has the crane UC and looks like the one machinery trader. After searching for sources of parts and not finding many I am nervous about making an effort to get it. In the past I have always stuck with cat or JD just because of parts. I would hate to have 30000 lb paperweight if something broke. I have had bad luck with grey market machines with parts which does not help. I do like to work on stuff but this may be to big for me. Hard to decide...
depends on what you call 'broke'-pretty tough old machines the Insleys are(were)You could weld up and/or make your own parts if you have a real love affair going. What vintage Insley? -the earlier 60's-70's the Insley excavators used the flat track pad undercarraige, track parts are virually nonexistent anymore unless you have a parts machine on the side..The early ones steer using the two steer levers alongside the seat,the later ones(80's)used foot pedals to move/steer,and had conventional bar grouser track pads.. the early ones are definitely not a daily use machine.Detroits are fun to listen to,but can't imagine working one all day in a Insley.A lot of the bigger ones(H2000,2500,3000) I see get scrapped just on weight alone,120K lbs,no one wants to move em around or feed a 8v71 Detroit fuel-not the most efficent machines anymore.
Well, I passed on it but will keep looking, I found a cat 240 that runs good but pretty beat up.
We have an old Insley K12 (I believe). It hasn't ran in several years.
the cylinders depending on how BAD they leak are maybe $500ea for seal kits(Baum Iron) and labor unless u do it yerself.Go in deep with disassembly,a total regrind of the rod,seal kit barring no other problems maybe 750-1K each if nothing else is wrong. $5k for a running piece of equip is really nothing today compared to a simple new car at $17K and up. If your'e not pushing it too hard all day and working it light it'l last a while if you work within its limitations.A Detroit will burn some fuel in a day compared to todays 4-strokes. If you dont need an expense writeoff it might be a good move for ya. Look at boom pins,dipper pins,pumps,leakage,etc..high labor time bills to fix.Undercarriage is hard to come by on the older Insleys but can be welded and worked if it isnt too bad.The older flat pad machines are getting really scarce,the iron recycle drive a few years ago claimed a lot of em,but if you have skills and a lathe,welder and drive you can make one work.The engines and pumps are easy to work on, Detroits(engines) are EASY to find parts for.
I would have enjoyed working on the old girl but I ended up getting a newer model (30 years younger, exactly what my wife is worried about).
I'm sure that was a little more expensive! nice machine though
We would like to sell our old Insley. This thread is locked however. Anyone know how I can place a for sale listing on it?